Search results

1. ruffian

COVID Rig

Since I’ve been sitting alone in 50,000 square feet of office for nearly 12 months now I have cobbled together a rig for my cube. I thought about it for too long before actually doing it a month ago. I’m a fool, I Missed 11 months of listening. This is what I have put together now. And have...
  2. ruffian

400 Magic Eye bouncing to the best.

Should the tuning eye in my 400 be bouncing to the beat? I would think that it should be holding steady.
  3. ruffian

Wore out a fiber brush

I realized I needed a new brush recently. The one on the left is a little ragged at the edge after maybe 4000+ records.
  4. ruffian

Guess I did ok today, saw this out of the corner of my eye while driving down the street, needless to say I stopped rather abruptly. 38xxx and V13-V16 which I believe makes it an early one. Knobs lost their covers and looks like a kid hit it with a pencil, otherwise unmolested. Original...
  5. ruffian

17 year Cicadas, bug music.

This is the year. Anybody have them yet? I can't wait to hear them making their perfect loud chorus. Almost deafening and so singular. Sometimes the best 'music' can be found in nature and this is definitely one of the best natural experiences to hear if you happen to live in an area where...
  6. ruffian

Heads up for any Zappa Fans between Baltimore and Burlington

Project Object is out on a quick tour again. This time the line up features Ike Willis, Ray White, Ed Mann, Tom Fowler, & Denny Walley! If you've never seen this band you need to. They are as good as it gets. (And some shows for you guys in Europe too.) http://projectobject.com/shows/
  7. ruffian

SoundStageDirect, Customer service second to none

SoundStageDirect undeniably has the absolute best customer service anywhere. They took care of me 2 yrs after the fact. I had bought a double album that I apparently had never played back to back. I recently pulled it out and played both disks, only to realize that both were the same. I...
  8. ruffian

Vta sp14

Just finished building a VTA SP14. What can I say, I'm pretty happy with myself at the moment. It worked right out of the starting blocks. :music::banana::music: I modified the standard kit with Goldpoint controls including a rear mounted selector, Mundorf output caps, Cardas RCAs and...
  9. ruffian

Model 7 rebuild

I just had my Model 7 redone. It had been worked on before so 'keeping it stock' was not something that needed to be considered. - Before One of the power out RCAs was bad. Bad humm if you plugged into it. The rest were generally in poor shape. And they were never fun to clean...
  10. ruffian

SilverNerd

Fast easy transaction with SilverNerd. Picked up several albums from him. Without a hitch.
  11. ruffian

Avanti Audio Allegro Phono Cable

Avanti Audio Allegro Phono Interconnect, DIN to RCA with ViaBlue RCAs (AK’s MikeCH) I have been running an Avanti Audio Allegro Phono cable for about three months now and have been really enjoying it. The only other cable that I have used on this TT/ARM/Cartridge combination is a Cardas...
  12. ruffian

Vintage Gear vs. Classic Rock

30 or so years ago one could listen to rock music on a stereo. Now same music/same equipment and you are listening to classic rock your vintage gear. How did one become classic and the other vintage?
  13. ruffian

Ruffians Rig

Here is what I have in my 'cave' Speakers, Merlin VSM-MXe On the left, Joule Electra VZN-100 Marquis monoblocks. There is not enough space on the right, hence the asymetric location. OTL, A six pack of 6C33C-B on each. Don't ask about the heat output. They pull about 10...
  14. ruffian

NJ to Audio Classics for service

Bergen County, NJ to Audio Classics or the reverse. If you are also sending equipment there one of us can do the drop and one can do the pickup?
  15. ruffian

Zappa Plays Zappa 2010

Saw the show last night in the Beacon Theater in NY. It was truly phenomenal. The band playing Cosmic Debris along with Frank on video was amazing. It just came together so well and the impact was huge. They played about 2 hours straight, all of Apostrophe included. It was pretty true to...
  16. ruffian

Genalex Gold Lion 12AX7/ECC83/B759 impressions

I have about 25 hours on a pair of the new Genalex Gold Lion ECC83s. They have excellent stage and dimensionality. They bring depth, breath and width to the music, especially with the mid range. The lows started out slow and bloated or shall I say 'tubey', but they seem to have firmed up a...
  17. ruffian

NJ/NY St. Valentine's Day (eve) Massacre

I know it is short notice but it looks like I can host a get together on the evening of Feb 13. I'm right on the NJ/NY state line in Bergen County. There was a previous attempt at a get together in this area that never came to be. Now there is a time and a place. Let me know if you...
  18. ruffian

TJ Full Music 12AX7 listening impressions

I listened to these in a Marantz 7. The Marantz takes a 6 pack of 12AX7s, 3 in the phono section and 3 in the line section so you are using 1 1/2 tube per channel in each section. I used the pass around tubes in the line section, along with a Sovtek LPS in the position that was split by...
  19. ruffian

You helped me discovere the Cowboy Junkies

I was turned onto the Cowboy Junkies by people here! Looking for other suggestions along the similar genre. Who else should I check out? Thanks Brian
  20. ruffian

New Setup

My project for the past few days. I picked the turntable up from a fellow AK'er. Oracle Delphi MKII with upgraded suspension. It took me a while to figure it all out. I have had the SME tonearm for almost 2 years, awaiting a place to be used. Now it has a home. I have also mounted a...
  21. ruffian

Salsa

Really Simple All fresh: Plum Tomatos, skinned and seeded Cilantro Garlic Lime Juice I leave quantity out so you can adjust to your taste. Put it in a food processor and give it a spin. It improves after a day in the fridge.
  22. ruffian

The 'also played with Zappa' playlist

During Zappa's career a lot of talented and diverse musicians played in his band. So if you are playing something that has a musician who played with Zappa list it here. Complete bio not necessary but please cite at least one occasion where they played together. I start with: Jean-Luc...
  23. ruffian

150gr vs 180/200gr pressings

I was looking at buying the re-issue of Hot Rats and found making the purchase complicated by the fact that there are two pressings, a 150g and 200g. The 200g record is $5 more than then the 150g ($25 vs.$30). I'm not sure which one to go with. Without any doubt both of these records came...
  24. ruffian

SME 3009 Series II Imp with Grado Statement Sonata

I have a SME 3009 Series II Improved. It is the fixed Headshell version, the effective mass of the tone arm is 6.5g if I'm reading the charts correctly. I'm looking at cartridges in the $500 range and I'm thinking of mating it with a Grado Statement Sonata (6g). I think the compliance of...
  25. ruffian

Todays Booty

I scored some booty this afternoon: :banana: I think I did reasonable well. Three Sony CD90ES, 200 disk CD jukeboxs, Two NAD 412 Tuners, Two Pioneer DVL909s, And a partridge in a pear tree. The CD jukes and tuners came on 19" rack shelves. Unfortunately the remotes were long gone...
Back
Top Bottom