Search results

1. F

polypropylene film caps

Actually, throughout his Self on Audio book, he specifies polyester in input stages, and deigns the use of polypropylene. My copy is dated before his latest book, so he may have changed his ways. BTW, Self on Audio (at least my copy, a second edition) has more errors than any book I have ever...
  2. F

Digikey - Mouser Drag Race

Digi-Key's FREE shipping is the best - prepaid orders (mail them a check) are always free, and with no minimum..... Background - Digi-Key's founder made a Digital Keyer for ham radio use, and hated interbank credit card fees (back then, 6-7%...), so with a prepaid order, you got your stuff...
  3. F

Replacing The STV-3H and -4H Diodes

To revive a old thread, a solution from Sony for replacing SV04 Bias diodes. Might even work with ST4-series diodes. Cheers,
  4. F

TIP 141,146 substitutes?

Am I missing something? Doing a Google search reveals several parts houses have the TIP141 and TIP146 in stock - Newark, Parts Express, and Talon all have them showing in stock. Google Shopping is your friend, I tell ya! Cheers,
  5. F

Old Oscope and tone generator help

I've got a 200CD rackmount oscillator - the controls are stiff on mine - they made them to be. It's lab equipment, used for testing and measurement. Stability and accuracy are key, not useability. There are yahoo groups for Tek and HP equipment - it's all via email, but they've got folks...
  6. F

not familiar with this type of cap ?

Follow this link to VideoKarma.org - one of the members there has an excellent way of "recapping" the innards of these caps: http://videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=246132 By the way, the industry name is "multi-section electrolytic can capacitors" - most often made by Sprague (TVL series)...
  7. F

Altec "Astro" Tube Hybrid Receiver

2N2147 transistors are also used in many commercial applications - in the early 80's I worked at a parts distributor and we used to sell 2N2147 transistors to the guys that serviced bank teller drive-thru intercoms. When they depleted our stock, they started buying SK3009s (now the NTE121)...
  8. F

VHS tapes: I just inherited 3 LARGE boxes of them-- what can you use them for?

Get a Technics SV-P100 digital audio recorder - it uses VHS tapes as the recording medium. One obstacle - they too are made of unobtainium ..... Cheers,
  9. F

Heathkit AR-15 caps.

Cornell-Dubilier makes 500 uF 75 volt electrolytic caps - and Allied Electronics stocks them. They are roughly equivalent to the Sprague Atom caps - and they tend to get pricey. Cheers,
  10. F

oscilloscope help

Straight from Tektronix... From their "XYZs of Oscilloscopes" - available on the web in PDF: Trigger Modes The trigger mode determines whether or not the oscilloscope draws a waveform based on a signal condition. Common trigger modes include normal and auto. In normal mode the...
  11. F

New Tek 465B Owner

He specifies the RH-50 Dale Resistors - INDUCTIVE. He should be using the Dale NH-50 Non-Inductive resistors. $9 each in 10 quantity at Mouser. The 250 watters are $58 each. Cheers,
  12. F

Mica Cap Voltages

Actually, it's 100V - check Cornell-Dubilier's website. http://www.cde.com/catalog/mica/ The PDFs for their dipped silver micas give you the physical dimensions, which comes in handy when trying to figure out the voltage rating. Arco Electronics also makes silver micas and their...
  13. F

Source for .110", 26-20AWG Female Spade Connectors (for speakers & such)

The dang connector world has gone metric - the .110 terminals you show are now "2.79mm" female disconnects. Easy to find in the 18-22AWG range, but trickier in the smaller gauge wire sizes. Molex carries some, but they aren't the quick crimp style (krimptite) - they are the "plain" type, part...
  14. F

Trying to learn how to troubleshoot electronics, any good reading?

If you do go the book route, get James Perozzo's Practical Electronics Troubleshooting, in it's current revision. It's full of sage tips, advice, and techniques. I've got an early -1980s edition, only a couple of hundred pages. The current edition is 850, so he's kept up with it. I'd advise...
  15. F

Zener diode question?

Originals are Hitachi 500mw devices, not 5 watters - replace them with 1N5246 or 1N5246B (500mW, 16V zeners) - sellers on eBay have them, and Mouser and Digi-Key both have them as well. Don't worry about any suffixes like "G" or the like - they are the RoHS "green devices" and will work...
  16. F

what's the deal with substituting NTE and other generic transistors?

All true, but in my 31 years of using replacements, I've come up with only one or two "shady" devices, and both were MCM re-marks - their "ERS" series. NTE has been in the business for 30+ years, and started out as a generic supplier - "New Tone Electronics" - that had one of the largest lines...
  17. F

Alps 50KohmBx4 pots

I dunno, but those part numbers look like Marantz/Superscope numbers. They look similar to the ones on the top Marantz board in the linked photo: http://www.talonix.com/images/100_2319.jpg If so, it's a pot for a Marantz Quadraphonic unit. Cheers,
  18. F

HP 3320B Frequency synthesizer?

Just an FYI - we used the 332X series synthesizers in the Navy to repair acoustic sensors and hydrophone processors for submarine detection- so you can rest assured it'll meet any noise, harmonic, and distortion spec you'll need for audio. I've got a 3325 (free to me!) and it's grandfather, an...
  19. F

fuse holder question

Ideally, the fuse should be on the hot side of the incoming power. As your amp has a transformer, a fuse in series with the primary (either side) would be fine. I'd place it in series with the side of the AC line that connects to the pale - greenish wire in the second photo - the one that...
  20. F

Alpha-Numerics (Transfers, whatever).

DATAK is the name brand I use - just rub 'em off the sheet. DATAMARK is the brand name sold now - http://www.oselectronics.com/ose_p52.htm Cheers,
  21. F

People Who Deny Local Pickup

A seller's view: I had a local buyer win one of my auctions - we agreed to local pickup. The buyer paid via Paypal, and picked the item up, and was happy. Two weeks later, I get an email from Paypal - they opened up a dispute, saying I had never shipped the item. I had no proof of...
  22. F

Tools you use to cut tube socket holes?

One caveat: if you buy Greenlee punches, go for the new ones. Typically the used ones you see on Fleabay are worn to the point of being unuseable. Get a new one - they are what I've used for 23+ years (same orginal set + three bought in the late 80's) for tube sockets, meter holes, and can...
  23. F

Taking the plunge...

Brand de jour - Chinese made and lower quality than what the price suggests. MCM carries a similar one in their Tenma line - and it's a POS. Better to pick up a used Tek, Hitachi, or Kikusui, with the manual if one is a noob with o'scopes. Tek produces a white paper called "the XYZ of...
  24. F

Taking the plunge...

I've always had a soft spot for Hitachi and Kikusui O'scopes - no proprietary semiconductors! I had two 465's - one needed deflection parts (U440 and others), and Tek and Sphere wanted big bucks. For the same amount as the repair parts for the Tek, I got a working COS6100M Kikusui - nice...
  25. F

Transistor Substitute needed

Try the original... http://www.talonix.com/eiaj2.htm
Back
Top Bottom