Search results

1. RastaFish

Stanton 681eee stylus replacement

OK, after reading this thread I got motivated to try out one of the Stantons. I picked up a 680 cart body, and I have a couple of NOS stylii for it. One is the eliptical Walco W-510-STDE, and the other is the Walco parabolic tip WER-510PD. I put in the parabolic stylus and got it aligned, but...
  2. RastaFish

My first vinyl setup (Sansui FR-D3)

Well, that is assuming the cartridge is correctly aligned already - my experience has been that usually is not the case. Also, another vote here for the ART DJ II pre. I picked one up a while back just to see if a $50 preamp could really be as good as people were saying, and my verdict is...
  3. RastaFish

Opening a record store

My solution to having way too many damn records was to get space in one of the Leesburg antique stores right up the block from my office. I keep three bins of records, maybe a total of 300 - 350 up there at any one time. Walk up there a couple of times a week to check on things, maybe once a...
  4. RastaFish

Ozzy beer canned!

It is actually pretty good beer, I have had it on-tap and in cans and always enjoy.
  5. RastaFish

sleevecity (blake) vs clearbags outer sleeves

I also use those SleeveCity 2.5's, really nice quality and pretty reasonable price versus comparable alternatives. I order my inner sleeves from them also, I have had nothing but positive experiences with SleeveCity service and products.
  6. RastaFish

Record Shelves to Flip Through Covers, suggestions

I have one of the LP Bins from the place in the link above and I am very happy with it. They are not inexpensive, and the shipping cost sucks due to their weight, but they are pretty solid and I was never going to get around to making one myself. I need to have my records stored in a...
  7. RastaFish

Which Lower End Direct Drive to choose?

I would go with the JVC, it has quartz lock and looks great.
  8. RastaFish

BPC score!

Yup, that stupid tone defeat switch has been the only thing on mine that has needed servicing in all the years I have had it! And be forewarned, it is not easy to access for cleaning.
  9. RastaFish

Would you do this?

That amp is not BPC and is worth a lot more than you paid for it. It is a serious piece of gear and is well built.
  10. RastaFish

10" goodness from Goodwill...

I was wondering about the Tal Farlow being an original, as to the best of my knowledge an original would not have ever been in shrink!
  11. RastaFish

Some interesting record finds at the thrift

Great haul, I have many of those titles and I think my favorite of the bunch pictured is "The Jazz Message Of..." by Donald Byrd, et al. But those 2 Sonny Rollins and the Monk are also fantastic albums. Hell, they all are, thats just a great pickup!
  12. RastaFish

What's your favorite genre?

I voted "other", since bluegrass wasn't listed. If I could pick three, I would say Bluegrass, Reggae, and Rock, but if forced to pick just one, its gotta be bluegrass!
  13. RastaFish

Price check

The Marantz and those Avids would probably sound pretty nice, if in decent operating condition. You could do worse than to make an offer and see what happens. Maybe 250?
  14. RastaFish

Kenwood KA-1100SD Recap

It's 1000, I have the same amp!
  15. RastaFish

Reattach Record Label

The only label I have ever had this problem with is the Jazz label "Transition". I think the labels have come off of every Transition album I have. I always have been afraid to try and glue them back, maybe I will give it a try on one of them.
  16. RastaFish

Speakerlab Seven Crossover Help

Oh, once you hear them there is no doubt you will be keeping them! Make all plans accordingly...
  17. RastaFish

Another Nice Little Vinyl Haul At Vitamin Planet

It makes perfect sense to me, nutrition for the body and for the soul!
  18. RastaFish

Tonearm comparison...AT and Technics

Although I had to read through 12+ pages to do it, and after the first 7 or 8 it is truly amazing that I continued all the way to the end, I have to say that I just learned a heck of a lot from these last few pages. The discussion back and forth on the ball bearings was truly an education for...
  19. RastaFish

Did I Do Something Wrong? Returning Bad Pressing

I assume you are talking about Sam at the Record Exchange, and I cannot imagine him reacting the way the store owner in the OP did. I have had a lot of dealings with Sam since he opened up in Frederick and I can say he is 100% a stand-up guy. If I received the kind of treatment described...
  20. RastaFish

When Washington DC Radio Rocked

Man, this thread is a great source of old DC radio related memories.... My dad was actually a DJ on WINX in Rockville for a time, his handle on the air was "Guy Roberts". I remember as a kid spending time in the various stations he worked at. Somebody mentioned Adam Smasher on DC 101, I...
  21. RastaFish

Speakerlab experts plse....

Once I hooked up my 7's I stopped speaker shopping. I can see where they would not appeal to everyone, but they were/are exactly what I look for in a speaker. My overall goal with my stereo is to be able to reproduce an actual concert, to the extent feasible, in my home. The Seven's can...
  22. RastaFish

OMG vinyl FTW!!

I don't know, I know for me a big part of the appeal of vinyl is the fact that the tinkering and tweaking really never has to stop! I totally understand why vinyl isn't for everyone, I absolutely get the convenience of CD's and digital, but I really enjoy all the little tweaks and rituals and...
  23. RastaFish

record stores in distress

The store you are referring to in Frederick is now called "The Record Exchange", but when Sam opened it it was called "The Game Exchange". Apparently he was doing much better business in vinyl than games, hence the name change! I don't know if he changed the name on his Silver Spring store as...
  24. RastaFish

Good day at the record store!

Nice score, I really like that particular ZZ Top album!
  25. RastaFish

Help on speaker identification

They look to me like some weird variant of the SpeakerLab Sevens, with the dual woofers and the two horns. However, these appear to have a couple of piezo tweets on either side of the horn tweet, and at least one of the woofers in each appears to be not the original SpeakerLab woofer...
Back
Top Bottom