Search results

1. cpmschd

Any BGW fans out there?

Hello! Very entertaining and informative thread. Like most folks around here (I'm assuming)... every now and then I peruse the local "classifieds" for fun. Whenever you see a decent used amp in good condition for less than a $1/watt (L&R combined) -- that is a good deal IMHO. Well... I...
  2. cpmschd

Polk RM-3000 II?

Still have these and they are sounding good and going strong (after a re-foam on the sats a couple of years ago).
  3. cpmschd

AU-717: which speakers are you pairing it with?

Advents I have the OLA's and the NLA's connected to the 717 and the 5012's hooked-up to the PL-300. Sounds very good... even though the speaker positioning is poor. But I don't have "room in the room" to move them anywhere else.
  4. cpmschd

Blue faced SX recievers

Very cool and good for you! What I like about the 828 (and also the 737) is the clean look those receivers have. The 838, 939, and 1010 have the extra row of white on black plastic buttons below the dial face and they typically don't hold-up very well over time (if you're into looks). I just...
  5. cpmschd

SX-1050 Sudden Death

Pages 22, 23, and 24 of the service manual provide detailed disassembly instructions and graphics/diagrams.
  6. cpmschd

SX-1050 Sudden Death

Checked DC balance (already @ 0V for both channels). Checked idle current. The left side was 39mV and the right was 44mV. Trimmed to 50mV for both, put the case back together, and she looks good. Of course, I'm not completely comfortable with the "deoxit cure" as there is probably something...
  7. cpmschd

SX-1050 Sudden Death

Couple of pics...
  8. cpmschd

SX-1050 Sudden Death

Well... Sudden Life! 5 monthls later... I finally had a chance (putting WORK on the back burner) to take the 1050 off the rack... and put it on the bench. Pulled the cover, gave it a massive Deoxit bath... removed some of the quick couplers on the power amp assembly, gave them a quick shot...
  9. cpmschd

Hello Mano... sorry for the tardy response. I have been diverted doing other things. But of...

Hello Mano... sorry for the tardy response. I have been diverted doing other things. But of course I'l always love music and the old silver-faced (or matte-black) gear. I bought this rack at Lowe's (a DITY chain here in the US). Of couse, nothing is made "here" -- all is made in China, etc...
  10. cpmschd

SX-1050 Sudden Death

Thanks for the feedback. In section 12 of the service manual, I see AWM-090 (protection circuit) and for the "regulated supply" would that be AWR-103 and AWR-104? I am heading out of town for a couple of weeks but after that (of course!) I would like to get some help from the esteemed AK...
  11. cpmschd

SX-1050 Sudden Death

My SX-1050 doesn't "click" on. The unit was on yesterday (background music as I am working) and I heard something odd/different... a faint "scratchy" sound. That got my attention. Switched the input from FM to AUX to phono... no difference with different input sources. Noticed it was the...
  12. cpmschd

SCORE a Technics SU8600

Very cool. What year? I am looking at picking-up a mid-70's SA receiver for my daughter's apartment (she's seen the vintage gear and likes it). The Technics units seems to be pretty nice rigs.
  13. cpmschd

Did I make a mistake? AU-717 purchase....

Good for you! I hope it is in decent shape on arrival. I have an SX-1050 in my office (my "daily driver"). The AU/TU-717 set-up is in the rec room. I fire-up the Sui's maybe twice a month for a listening session -- and the difference in sound quality is immediately apparent. The 717 is much...
  14. cpmschd

My SX-1050 blew F1 and F2 last night...

Excellent news! MTF...:thmbsp::thmbsp::thmbsp:
  15. cpmschd

1979 Was an Amazing Year for Speakers

Speakerlab. Where I lived, most guys back then took wood shop class throughout HS... so... cut some particle board per specifications, get out the clamps, Elmer's glue and finishing nails, buy a caulk gun and a tube of silicone adhesive... and you were in DIY business. Regarding ESS... the...
  16. cpmschd

Any Seattle Speakerlab fans out there????

Old Catalogs When did Speakerlab put this up on thier website? Excellent trip down memory lane! The 1977 and 1980 catalogs hit the sweet spot for me. Good info for those wanting to ID various models & components... http://speakerlab.com/catalogs.html
  17. cpmschd

Kid's Room Some pictures... yes it would be nice to spread things out a bit more, but there's not enough space. I'd really prefer to also have the S2's on the floor, but the kid is not complaining. The set-up beats ipod earbuds. Got the S3's a few weeks ago from a local guy (very nice and...
  18. cpmschd

I picked-up a pair of nice S3's for my son's room to go with the S2's he already had. (Power and control provided by a clean and sharp Kenwood KR-7600.) Okay, I'll admit that I use the kid as my excuse to buy stuff! Anyway, we fixed-up the grilles and they both look really good. It all...
  19. cpmschd

Classic mid-to-late '70's These help me get my work done. Mostly tuned to Classical KING-FM (which has a great signal, BTW... and seriously, I am amazed at the subtle detail the 7's can provide that the Advents cannot). But on Friday nights and weekends... they come out to play! Loud and...
  20. cpmschd

BBE 462 Maximizer

I have a BBE unit for each of my set-ups (3) and I hook it up though the tape loop (monitor) so I can juice or de-juice any source to my liking. The way I'd explain it in simple terms... it is basically a variable loudness control. But there's more to it than that. It's there if I want to use...
  21. cpmschd

PL-518 Cartridge Alignment

Hi Larry... I found another PL-518 locally on CL... the unit was not functioning and not in very good condition. But the feet seemed good. So I bought it for 25 bucks. Three of the feet were fine. Two of mine were rotted. I carefully R&R'd the all feet and soaked the good ones in an...
  22. cpmschd

PL-518 Cartridge Alignment

I also have a PL-518 and I really like it. Replaced the feet. Working on cleaning the dust cover (using some strong auto scratch remover to polish it up). But mechanically/electrically it is in good shape and runs fine. Looks like I need to clean the dust on the stylus. LOL!
  23. cpmschd

Pretty Quiet in the Sansui Forum..

We're now 11 threads ahead of Pioneer. They caught us back in the summer and it has been close ever since. Maybe that was the impetus for the original post? :hdphones:
  24. cpmschd

Who Has Vintage Pioneer Amps/Receivers?

Mostly Sansui and Kenwood, but one nice Pioneer unit that I really like...
  25. cpmschd

I really should know better but....(Bose 901 musings)

901's need power. With the right amplification and positioning they can be very impressive. But it isn't easy to get it set-up right. They will fill a large room. When I was in college (late 1970's) one of the "other" fraternities had 901's (series II) as their house system (with a Marantz...
Back
Top Bottom