Search results

1. Bradbrews

What are these capstan motors from?

Or are they not even capstan motors? These came in a box from a friend’s dad that was obviously the parts box for old electronics. I see brushes in there and what looks like a tape drive roller.
  2. Bradbrews

Beware the Slippery Slope

It’s very easy to start sliding down, and once you lose footing you only slide faster! I’ve been toeing closer and closer to the line for a while now, but though I’ve lost my footing and slid down a ways I usually find some solid footing to stop the slide, at least temporarily. I acquired some...
  3. Bradbrews

Voice of Music 1264 changer

I got this changer in an Airline console recently. I was told it was spinning but I didn’t try it for concern over the tube receiver. Tracking weight was set to 22 gms! Moving the spring fully forward dropped it to 4.6 gm. What cartridge is this?
  4. Bradbrews

Vintage cartridge ID

These came to me in a parts cabinet. What are they from or used in?
  5. Bradbrews

Wards Airline Console

I stopped by the Presbyterian Thrift Shop today and saw this console with a sticker on it that said “$10-Doesnt work “ Through the access hole in the back I spied 7868 tubes and two output transformers. That’s worth 10 bucks I said to myself. Bill at the store told me that the record changer...
  6. Bradbrews

Crossover capacitor size changes

I’ve been working on some Boston Acoustics T1030’s. What will be the effect of using a cap that measures 136uF vs 120uF spec for C3, the midrange? Looks like for a LC circuit I would move the peak from 692 Hz to 650 Hz - 42 Hz . The history: pics over in Speakers forum. One of them had a...
  7. Bradbrews

Testing bipolar electrolytics

Using my cheap little TC-1 component tester on the E caps in some crossovers I get values that seem to be double the size printed on the caps. I know that two polarized caps back to back could substitute for a bipolar cap. Just a sanity check here, but does anyone know if that’s to be expected...
  8. Bradbrews

Boston Acoustics T1030’s

Back when these were new I thought they were second only to the B&W 801’s in the audition room of Alma’s hifi. When a pair in Walnut showed up close to me I decided I needed to check them out. Upon inspection I noticed that they needed foams on the woofer’s. One of them also had some water...
  9. Bradbrews

MPX decoders with LA3401 chip

There are several sellers of MPX decoder boards using the above chip with associated bits needed to do the job. Has anyone tried using one of these boards with an old tube tuner with an MPX out? I’ve been thinking about trying one with a Scott 330. It’s got the MPX out RCA jack and I measured...
  10. Bradbrews

JBL at the Salvation Army

Typically I’m lucky to get a CD or two when I stop in to S.A. Today was a fair bit better. I spied some big floor standing speakers that looked pretty tired. Vinyl wrapped, and didn’t think much of them but decided to pull off the grill to see what they were. When I did that I saw a familiar...
  11. Bradbrews

McIntosh MX-134 obsolete or quite the hub?

I recently got a MX-134, with tuner option. This is a 20 year old home theater unit, S video is as good as it gets, but it has an analog pass through that avoids all the digital stuff. It’s clearly an out dated HT unit- which is why I have it… On the other hand, it has ELEVEN inputs! It also has...
  12. Bradbrews

HH Scott 330 Tuner

Here’s some pictures of a 330 Binaural tuner. Not much information out there on this unit. This one is working fine on both channels. I haven’t done anything to it yet but clean up the selector switch. Looks like it was worked on in the past. It’s missing the copper doghouse in the center. I...
  13. Bradbrews

Scott 340B and screen stability resistor

After noticing that one of the can caps that remained original started heating up during use, I decided to finish restuffing them all. That done I was looking at 10 ohm cathode resistors and 100ohm screen stability resistors. Doing some reading of the archives here it is always mentioned that...
  14. Bradbrews

Luxman M-111 positive part of wave missing

On channel 4 of this amp I’m missing the positive half of the waveform. I suspected a bad output transistor. I disconnected them and they test good on my little TC-1 tester. The emitter resistors are good too. Looking upstream there is a upc1270h chip. This is a diff amp, predriver, driver...
  15. Bradbrews

Lexicon MC-1 repair

A friend gave me this unit which seemed dead as could be. Nothing happened at all when it was turned on. Upon opening it up I got some hope as there was a sticker warning me to only replace the fuse with the correct one. The fuse however was not visible. Upon probing the output of the PS all I...
  16. Bradbrews

Discovered a downside to Ultrasonic cleaning

I recently discovered a downside to ultra sonic cleaning my records. It’s a small downside but nonetheless not something I’ve ever seen mentioned before. I’ve cleaned about 6-7 feet of my record collection and in that group 3 of them were lp’s that were flawed pressings that had a bit of paper...
  17. Bradbrews

Audio Research MP-1 preamp

A friend has an MP-1 in his multi channel system that has recently lost the center channel and replaced it with a gentle humm. Looking online I found reference to this preamp having plug in circuit boards, identical in all channels. Has anyone been into one of these? I have some hope that all...
  18. Bradbrews

Don’t you hate it when you upgrade—

When it became possible to transfer your albums and tapes from physical media to digital I bought a M-Audio 24/96 pci card and spent a LOT of time converting albums and tapes to digital. I had Soundforge click and pop software, which is Adobe today, and still the best I’ve used to clean up...
  19. Bradbrews

SX980 power supply rebuild issue.

I’m supposedly fixing up a SX-980 for a friend. It was working fine after I cleaned up all the switches and pots. I then convinced my friend that we should go ahead and rebuild the power supply. It was looking tired with some caps quite hot to the touch and some shrunken jackets. I did that...
  20. Bradbrews

How does it work? Illuminated enameled clock face.

I ran across this old enameled clock face while digging through a time capsule box of childhood stuff from my folks garage attic. At the time I was taking apart anything electrical to see how it worked. This clock face used to have a nice blue green glow when plugged into 120v. Line went to each...
  21. Bradbrews

Sherwood S-2660 CP and STK2250

After almost two decades of of reliable service driving two pair of speakers simultaneously in the shop the Sherwood died yesterday. I turned it on and was greeted with a loud hum. Some basic investigation revealed that the right channel now has 42 volts DC on it!! Surprisingly the speakers...
  22. Bradbrews

Opportunity strikes- FM antenna

Storm damage forced me to gut this bedroom in the house. The OTA TV antenna was also knocked down by the storm. My replacement antenna does not pull in the FM band. I’ve got two systems set up in the basement that used to use the feed from the TV antenna, and they were deprived of that. I...
  23. Bradbrews

Level drop when connected-Pioneer SX-1010

I connected the 4 Channel Adapter output on my Pioneer SX-1010 to the Aux input of a Pioneer SX-980 so that I had access to all the sources connected to the 1010. I had been working on the 980 and wanted give it a listen, but listen to the turntable connected to the 1010 without moving it. I was...
  24. Bradbrews

Physical Media saves the week!

A storm blew through about a week ago that promises to teach me about Homeowners Insurance. Internet went down for over a week. It was sure nice to grill out to some old cassettes! CD’s helped with cleanup. Bluestime on WEMU FM was also appreciated! I’ve been streaming an awful lot lately but...
  25. Bradbrews

Nikko 5055 crackle and pop

I pulled out my Nikko 5055 for garage duty as the Amp100 it replaced is headed to College. After a half hour it started crackling and popping in the left channel. The amp board uses a 2SA798 differential pair, which is on the most wanted list. It also uses 1uF tantalum caps on the base. Are the...
Back
Top Bottom