Search results

1. TSmith8605

MEN220 RoomPerfect measurements for a 2.1 or 2.2 system.

The cited 200-Hz crossover is between the MG 3.6 woofer and midrange. If you apply the subwoofer at that frequency you will be replacing the MG woofer panel with the subwoofer. The MG response alone goes down to about 35 Hz. I would think you'd want to set the subwoofer to fill in below 40 - 50...
  2. TSmith8605

MC452 with older preamp (C29) and high power bookshelves (Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX)?

I'd ask the local shop if you could take it home for a weekend / Sunday and try it in your system.
  3. TSmith8605

Loving this MDA200

Note, unless you have the MX in "Pure Direct" mode, the MX is re-digitizing and then D-to-Aing everything which invalidates upstream DAC comparisons.
  4. TSmith8605

MC240 Troubleshooting

You might also try switching the speaker connections to the amp to see if the problem stays with the speaker. It's possible that one of the new speakers has a problem.
  5. TSmith8605

MC275 with 120 Ohm Load?

Got curious and so looked it up for a C26. If the power amp is connected to the preamps internal speaker switching, the logic is as follows: 1. Headphone is always active with a 100-Ohm, 5-Watt resistor (R201, 202) in series with the phones. 2. Remote speakers (if connected) can be switched on...
  6. TSmith8605

Cleaning the faceplate on a McIntosh 4100

If that cosmetic issue will drive you nuts (it would me also), I think you should just pass on this one. Why / how did the glass get smeared and what else is wrong? You may or may not be able to clean it, but why inherit this project (unless a project is what you want)? If you're trying to save...
  7. TSmith8605

Restore or Upgrade for Vintage MC250?

I would just leave it a is. Looks like if the two wires going to the speaker jacks are not connected, that part of the amp is electrically stock and you can use the existing terminal strips for your speakers - or you could use the added speaker jack if you wanted. I would put proper-sized...
  8. TSmith8605

What's your (current) dream car?

2024 is the last year of the 5Gen 4Runner with the 4.0-liter NA V6 (270 HP) which is what I wanted. So about last chance to get one. The 6Gen 4Runner will be along for 2025 and will likely have a 4-cylinder, turbo and small hybrid motor like the 2024 Tacoma which will probably be just fine...
  9. TSmith8605

What's your (current) dream car?

Just got this. Not great on gas but hits the other 11 items on your list.
  10. TSmith8605

Amazon Smart Plug to Power On Amp

Looks like you're new to AK so welcome. Based on the gear listed in your signature, I'm guessing you're changing from a Bryston 4B Amp to the MC452. If so, at some point, when you've listened enough, maybe you could start a new (different) thread reviewing how you like the MC452 and how it...
  11. TSmith8605

Newer pre-amp and classic power amp

Check the specs. The older tube preamps like the original C22 or MX110 (those without SS output buffers) will have trouble driving a power amp with too low of an input impedance. E.g. the original C22 manual says the amplifier used should have an input impedance greater than 50K Ohm but most...
  12. TSmith8605

C31V recap?

You said you did all the checks. What checks did you do to confirm the issue is with the preamp and not a source, power amp or speaker? You might just have a bad connection somewhere caused by dirty contacts on a switch or connector. Have you checked for that? Where to send...
  13. TSmith8605

Actual watts....who can shed light on this subject?

Let's get the physics right. A Joule (J) is a unit of energy, like a calorie, which is a different unit for measuring the same thing - energy. It is named after the English physicist James Prescott Joule (1818–1889). Unlike "calorie," "Joule" is a unit named for a person so it should be...
  14. TSmith8605

McIntosh 50W-2 Amplifier

So when those amps came out, speakers were relatively crude by today's standards, although Klipschorns were available then, and the only sources were pretty much 78 rpm records and AM radio. So assuming the 50-W2 amps sounded as good or nearly as good as MC 30, maybe several years passed before...
  15. TSmith8605

RIP Terry DeWick

Oh no. Not what I wanted to hear today. A great human and a great talent. Small tribute: all of the items he restored for me are still (after about 17 years) working perfectly and sounding great. RIP
  16. TSmith8605

MAC4100 powered sub hum

FYI, the sub is a powered sub and does have input connectors designed to accept output at the speaker level from the main amp. It also has line-level RCA inputs (with pass thru) so pretty versatile in that sense. Must be some kind of ground loop (sub has a 3-prong AC plug and the MAC has...
  17. TSmith8605

MAC4100 powered sub hum

If the MAC4100 has a non-polarized AC plug, try reversing it in the outlet. You might double check that you have the speaker wires to the subwoofer connected with proper phase: negative terminal to negative terminal. You might need to run the subwoofer with it's line-level input rather that...
  18. TSmith8605

Triamped MC 40 system

Great. What are the speakers?
  19. TSmith8605

Preamp for a 7150

I should add that the Sony is 50+ years old and will likely need electronic restoration to work correctly and to spec. I don't think you can get into a Mc preamp that is restored to spec within your $1K budget.
  20. TSmith8605

Preamp for a 7150

That 1V spec did not make sense to me so I looked it up. The MC 7150 amp's input impedance is 20 kOhm. Assuming you have a Sony TA2000F (and not a TA200F which I can't find), page 17 of the owners manual shows the preamp will meet distortion specs with an output of about 4 Volts at the load...
  21. TSmith8605

MCINTOSH MC2300 VS MC452

Thoughtful. Thanks. Hope some of it was helpful and I did notice you did so in post #87.
  22. TSmith8605

MVP881-impossible to fix due to lack of parts. Any well-known parts suppliers?

Tried to get my MVP 861 fixed a few years ago including shipping it to AC. It needs a new laser and the drawer belt. But no one, including AC and two other CA repair shops (nor me looking on eBay) could find the laser part for the Denon DVD2900E platform which is Denon part # HOP-1200R. If I...
  23. TSmith8605

Biamping vintage mcintosh

I would not use an active crossover with your speakers. To use an external crossover correctly you have to take your speakers apart and remove the parts of the internal crossover electronics (caps, coils resisters, etc.) used for the lower cross over point and wire the drivers directly. Note...
  24. TSmith8605

FM radio reception improvement with a different antennae type?

BIC beam box is (was) the best indoor FM antenna I've used. (I've also tried the T-ribbon dipole things, rabbit ears and Terk amplified antennas.) When I moved out of an apartment and put directional antennas on the roof, I made the mistake of selling my beam box - wish I still had it. FM 8 or...
  25. TSmith8605

Mc240 no B+ drop

What preamp are you using? If the C20, has it been restored and known to be working correctly, to spec.?
Back
Top Bottom