Search results

1. RadShak1251

Equalizer's

The past few years many surround receivers have been equipped with EQs (usually at least five bands) that are part of their automatic speaker set-up system, but IIRC there is usually also an option to adjust it manually. Also, I've noticed loudness buttons have been slowly reappearing, so that...
  2. RadShak1251

Advent 6003 Speakers?

I'm not sure about these not being "real" Advents, because while the two-way design has advantages over a 3 or more way :) loudspeaker, that only works so far and then physics comes into play......and economics. Based on what I know about him, Henry Kloss wanted Advent to provide speakers with...
  3. RadShak1251

Is Technics going bye bye???

Technics' *home* audio gear division was dissolved back around 2003. I am familiar with that situation because that's when I bought a CD player and a turntable from them (SL-PG4 and SL-BD22 respectively), and while doing research on them ran into press reports about that change of marketing. BTW...
  4. RadShak1251

Advent Laureate surrounds?

The store where I used to work in the early 90s sold Advent, including the Laureates. I don't know when Advent began selling them, but all the time I was there from '92 to '95 we sold them. They were one of our most popular floorstanders.
  5. RadShak1251

lord help me...thinking of a new subwoofer...

Hey budget, When I wrote "...a pair of huge floorstanders with 15" woofers driven by an 80lb vintage receiver..." I actually had just randomly pulled that from my own memory banks as an extreme example to help make my point, then after reading your post I realized that was nearly identical to...
  6. RadShak1251

lord help me...thinking of a new subwoofer...

This is directed at audio newbies, not experienced hobbyists, so everybody calm down :D: a properly built conventional sub (i.e. excluding those "mighty mouse" subs that will fit in a car's glove compartment) with a 10" or 12" woofer equipped with a couple hundred watt amplifier can easily go...
  7. RadShak1251

Airplay coming to AVRs

^ I didn't mean to sound like a shill for those companies and am not anti-Apple but I meet people constantly that think: only Apple sells good MP3 players; the only format that sounds good are AAC files from the iTunes store and MP3s from Limewire; and as far as internet radio, the only such...
  8. RadShak1251

Airplay coming to AVRs

Many receivers already come equipped with the abillity to stream music by ethernet/wi-fi via a computer (for playback of user's files) or a broadband modem (for internet radio stations, which btw allows the user to bypass the computer completely). Pioneer's Elite receivers and now some of their...
  9. RadShak1251

thrift stores marking on speakers

Oh O.K. Thanks. As Ed McMahon used to say, I did not know that. :)
  10. RadShak1251

thrift stores marking on speakers

They literally write the price directly on the veneer?! :worried: Talk about lowering the value of their own merchandise. :rolleyes: What happened to using plain ol' price tags?
  11. RadShak1251

Infinity Qa or New Large Advent Loudspeakers?

Here's a great site with lots of info about those Infinitys: Quantum Series Contains links to the Infinity spec sheet and a Stereo Review magazine review :) of the Qa. FYI: another example of a respected speaker using no crossover whatsover on the woofer i.e. since Infinity built their...
  12. RadShak1251

National/Panasonic/Technics sold batteries, too!

I buy Panasonic and Sony alkaline batteries all the time from the local dollar store.
  13. RadShak1251

Dang, this is a big amp!!!

Looks like something used for the Arecibo radio telescope transmitter! :nerd: And I've never seen that many filter capacitors on a tube amp.......
  14. RadShak1251

Vinyl, It looks better, it sounds better.

Well I screwed up, and I'll take back what I said in my post back there. I'll admit my opinion was based on heresay and only a tiny sample group of "young people" consisting mostly of my own family and a couple buddies' kids. :bash: So I apologize if I offended anyone. Btw I do know that X...
  15. RadShak1251

Okay... trying to do better than Klipsch RF-7 for less money

What type of music do you listen to? And, do you like speakers that are considered "lively" like the Klipschs, or did you like something specific about them e.g. their prodigious bass output, or their imaging capability, etc?
  16. RadShak1251

Vinyl, It looks better, it sounds better.

I've read stories like this over and over the past five years, which reinforces my belief that the present resurgence of vinyl IS a fad. More proof of that is seen in the increasing (but still tiny) number of releases in the cassette format!
  17. RadShak1251

Using a Vintage Receiver for TV listening

Same goes for many flatscreens and CRT TVs I've dealt with over the years. For me, remote volume & channel control is really nice but these days, if you have satellite TV like I do, it's absolutely mandatory. :rolleyes: That's because many commercials can be so friggin' loud vs. the program I'm...
  18. RadShak1251

Subwoofer Location - Is This Nuts?

Whoa, big timing difference. This is where the distance compensation system that an surround receiver includes (any Dolby Digital equipped receiver should have it). Also, if the La Scalas are being sent a full-range signal, even if they are rated to 50Hz, I doubt they they just "stop" at that...
  19. RadShak1251

Surprised by sound quality of 90s dvd.

In addition to what Jared said, some possible technical ;) reasons that dvd may have sounded good: * the bit rate for the sound track may have been higher than normal. The bitrate for DTS varies from @720kbps all the way up to 1536kbps and that bitrate is chosen by the studio releasing the...
  20. RadShak1251

Guess this voice of Pioneer

I was just thinking the same thing. :sigh:
  21. RadShak1251

Large Advent vs The Smaller Advent

A woofer's output is dependent on more than just its diameter. Cone excursion is a significant parameter here and can make up for a smaller cone, allowing that smaller woofer to move as much air as the larger cone. The smaller woofer will not sound exactly the same as the larger one (all other...
  22. RadShak1251

Large Advent vs The Smaller Advent

Personally I make sure that any speaker, particularly its tweeter (and midrange driver if so equipped), is at ear level to make sure the speakers can form a proper stereo image. But since raising a speaker off the floor usually reduces the volume level of the lowest bass frequencies, moving the...
  23. RadShak1251

Dolby broadcast

I vaguely remember (this was 30 years ago, so I have an excuse for the hazy memory :D) there being a lamp that would always come on when the Dolby FM button was pushed, but as a kid I thought another lamp somewhere would come on if there was an actual FM broadcast occurring. I would love to...
  24. RadShak1251

Dolby broadcast

This thread reminds me of another useful system that is mostly being ignored by the radio industry right now, and one that could be much more useful to many more people than Dolby FM (it sucks for us audio hobbyists to admit it, but it's obvious that quality sound is not a priority for many...
  25. RadShak1251

Dolby broadcast

Around 1980 we owned an all-in-one stereo system bought at JCPennys that was equipped with Dolby FM. Unfortunately I never got to see that Dolby indicator lamp turn on :( so I guess by that time the broadcasting industry had lost interest. Btw that all-in-one was styled like just like Penny's...
Back
Top Bottom