Search results

1. Mortega64

Bell 5630 PA Amp and Speakers / Carrying Case

You can always use the base of a junk octal and wire it up according to the ‘dummy plug’ schematic specs. Or you can by-pass the socket and wire in the input directly to the pentode. If you want to be crazy with the transformer, which will add extra gain, you can bypass the center-tap on the...
  2. Mortega64

Guitar amps, especially modern ones, have a lot of gain to facilitate distortion. Low output mic’s would benefit from this, which is why your ‘high impedance’ mic doesn’t work well without the input transformer (and works with the guitar amp).
  3. Mortega64

Those are step-up/input transformers. Yours look like this?
  4. Mortega64

That’s a sweet setup you have there! I had no idea Bell had speakers to go with their PA amps, I’m jealous of yours! I have a pair of Bell 5650 PA amps that look just like yours, except they have 6550 outputs. Was planning to rebuild mine as hifi monoblocks. I wonder if you could rewire your mic...
  5. Mortega64

Mystery Tube Amp high wattage...REVISITED!

I agree with Tinkerbelle, I was confused with Dave saying it’s wired for triode, but it seems to be in pentode mode on the 2nd schematic. The pictures are blurry on my phone so I can’t form my own conclusions.
  6. Mortega64

Mystery Tube Amp high wattage...REVISITED!

So your saying the 2nd schematic is how both monoblocks are wired up? Or is this switchable?
  7. Mortega64

Western Electric 274A Tubes....

The middle unit is indeed a Western Electric unit, I thought it was an amplifier but it turns out that it is some sort of WE power supply full of WE transformers, chokes, and condensers. Need to do some more digging, but it takes 2x WE 403B's, WE 421A, WE 422A, 0A2, and an 0B2. Did not find any...
  8. Mortega64

Wanted to post a picture of some of the other items I acquired at the auction:
  9. Mortega64

I hope there were no more tube boxes, all I saw was just the ONE :oops: To be honest, the auction was weird.....there was so much stuff there. The auctioneers pulled all of the items out of the house/garage/shed that they thought were valuable and set it outside. Everything else was left...
  10. Mortega64

A LOT of NOS 83 rectifiers were in the box, NOS 807's, about 5x NOS WE 374A's, WE 313C's, WE 717A's, WE 400A's, WE 403A/B's..... Did find some NOS/NIB RCA 5691's in the box, probably the 2nd most valuable bunch of tubes in the lot. Some other goodies that I purchased at the auction were a...
  11. Mortega64

What does the 826 date code translate to? I was thinking the 26th week of 1938? 1948?
  12. Mortega64

I am aware of how valuable these tubes are. I decided to carefully unwrap these and test them to ensure they are indeed good/test NOS. One of my audio buddies has a TV-7D/U tester that was used to test them just now. The tube tester I have cannot do the 4-pin tubes (Hickok 6000a). They match...
  13. Mortega64

Hey all, Went to an auction yesterday and picked up a mystery box full of old tubes...halfway buried in the box was a cache of western electric tubes, including these NOS 274A rectifiers. One of the seals on the boxes was already broken, and upon handling the other box...its seal tore as...
  14. Mortega64

What Audio have you found in the scrap yard Lately. Keep this thread going!

I pulled these pieces from a salvage yard about 3 months ago, all transformers tested good believe it or not...
  15. Mortega64

Need help identifying vintage speakers...

They (the dust caps) were shiny and had a brushed look to them, I guess I just assumed they were silver. I was hard to determine color with the lighting in the building.
  16. Mortega64

Need help identifying vintage speakers...

Hello all, I stumbled across some old speakers this weekend that are for sale, the gentleman wants $80 for the pair. There were no decals or writing on the cabinet to identify them with, also the cabinets are completely sealed so I could not look for markings on the speakers themselves. What...
  17. Mortega64

Tube amp ID help

Could be a UTC kit from back in the day, looks like a PA amp with separate power supply and amplifier blocks. I assume we are looking at 2x 5Z3 rectifiers on one block, and 2x 6L6G power tubes on the other. Looks late 30's to early 40's to me, the overbuilt power supply was probably to...
  18. Mortega64

About to start working on my EICO HF-85...

Hi all, I am about to start tearing into my HF-85 preamp and was looking for information on modifications/improvements to the preamp while it is in surgery. I have queried HF-85 restorations/mods and such but have only found references to posts, not info or posts themselves on the actual...
  19. Mortega64

Mathes HiFi console dilemma...

Thanks you guys! Is the VM turntable a good one? I have a Garrard RC88/4 TT that I was thinking of throwing in there in place of it.
  20. Mortega64

Hey Tom, here is my email so you can send me the CM Chassis #9 schematic...

Hey Tom, here is my email so you can send me the CM Chassis #9 schematic: jodaniel5881(at)gmail(dot)com Thanks for locating it for me.
  21. Mortega64

I have a few more EIA codes. 12" speakers: 12J8-38A model #, 465-844 left, 465-843 right Can filter capacitor: 235837 Output transformers: 606840, 606839 I could not find any model/eia #'s on the smaller speakers, but they had identical manufacturing markings as the 12" speakers.
  22. Mortega64

The only numbers I see on the transformer are '12A2A 606824', those look more like transformer manufacturer part #'s (Stancor, UTC, etc...) than Curtis Mathes date codes. I pulled the back panel off to inspect the chassis and the unit seems devoid of any manufacturer model/date codes. Is there...
  23. Mortega64

Hi all, Last weekend I was browsing around a local estate auction when I stumbled across a Mathes HiFi console. I usually ignore consoles, even the tube ones, but when I looked at the chassis I saw Amperex EL84 'Bugle-Boys' looking back at me...as well as long black-plate RCA 12ax7's and...
  24. Mortega64

New-to-me Sony STR-6055

The amp has a real nice sound, I would almost compare it to my HK 730 in sound clarity/balance. It definitely needs to be re-capped, the left channel has substantially less bass than the right and the lows get muddy real fast. The receiver is a nice surprise coming from Sony, it will...
  25. Mortega64

New-to-me Sony STR-6055

Got the receiver all cleaned up and playing, finally. The inside was dirty and had hay/grass clippings inside! I checked the PSU electrolytic caps and they seemed okay, plugged it in and nothing....dead. Spent a while looking for the fuse....found it hiding under one of the circuit boards...
Back
Top Bottom