Search results

1. A

Fisher 500b help, please.

Wow! Cut-Throat, what a beautiful 500b! What did you use to clean the face plate? I have two 500c (me thinks) awaiting resurrection. They still play but I need to replace caps, rects, etc. and needs a good cleaning. I'm a little worried about cleaning the face plate and the metal inside for...
  2. A

Akai M-8 R2R SE pentode amplifiers

I posted a thread about the Akai M8 alooonnng time ago on diyaudio.com . Here's the thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33734 There might be some useful info there. I now have the M8 and it's cousin the Roberts 770. I have sold another M8 (STUPID, STUPID)...
  3. A

my latest boom box

Nice score :thmbsp: I bought one of these a few years back for $2 at a flea market. I think it look exactly like yours. A GE right? I think it actually uses 6AQ5 tube (7-pin), not 6BQ5 (9-pin) for the output. Sounds pretty nice. Mine had one of the OPT blown, I used the PT and some parts...
  4. A

Altec 806A + 511B + JBL K130 = Altec VOTT?

Hello, I like to know what AKers think about this plan. I have a pair of Altec 806A-16 with 511B horns. I can get a pair of JBL K-130 15" speakers for cheap. I read that the K-130 is a vocal/musical instrument speaker. Would they make a good substitute for the Altec 416/516 in the VOTT...
  5. A

Cartridge Recommendation for AR XB and Dual 1229

Hello, I been reading the cartridge recommendation thread with interests, but I like more input. I have a nice condition AR XB-77 and Dual 1229 TT. The AR has a Shure V15-II cartridge with a dead stylus. Do I: 1) get a replace ment stylus (if so, what kind? what model? HELP) 2) get a new...
  6. A

Question about using 60hz. equip in 50hz. environment.

Thanks a bunch for your replies. So I should be OK running the Kenwood receiver with 110V 50HZ then say 120V 50HZ. Right? And a small fuse on the step down tranny. What about items like soldering iron? I have a Weller WTPC that I love to use. It's 60W 120V 60HZ. If I run it at 110V 50HZ...
  7. A

Question about using 60hz. equip in 50hz. environment.

Hello, I'm moving soon and want to know if I can use electrical equipment, say my Kenwood VR-309AV receiver rated at 120V 2.6 A 60HZ in 220V 50HZ environment.? The owner's manual state that it's rated at 120V and 60HZ. The voltage difference I can deal with using a step down transformer to...
  8. A

Another Magnavox stays out of the landfill

Nice find. I have rescured three Magnavox consoles, so far. One with PP 6BQ5, one with PP 6V6, and one with SIX 6V6. I think it's a PPP arrangement. I have also salvage two Packard Bell 6BQ5 PP amps from trashed consoles. Pretty good sounding after the usual cap changes. Better to have...
  9. A

Schematic Links, Tube retail links, local tube testers

Torrance, California Hickok 539A TV-7A/U
  10. A

Fisher 500C

I picked up two 500c that need some TLC. One is in working condition but the tuning string is broken and the other is not working, though I checked the OPT and they are still good. My question to Chad is what did you use to clean your 400 to look like that? My 500c are pretty grimy and I'm...
  11. A

Speakers built out of unconventional materials

My brother is using a pair of GNP Valkyrie speakers. They were made of three separate sections. IIRC, the bass section with two bass drivers. The mid section and the tweeter section. The mide section was lined with led blankets. The tweeter section have openings on the sides covered with...
  12. A

What does everyone own for tube gear!

My tube obsession includes: Receiver 2 Fisher 500c needing some TLC Integrated Amp Sherwood 5000 II (really sweet sounding!) :thmbsp: Lafayette 240 Amp 1 Marantz 8b :naughty: 2 Packard Bell PP EL-84 1 Magnavox PP EL-84 1 Magnavox PP 6V6 1 Magnavox PPP 6V6 1...
  13. A

Any thoughts on Klipsch Tangent speakers

Thanks for the info.
  14. A

Any thoughts on Klipsch Tangent speakers

A friend of mine is thinking of getting rid of his Klipsch Tangent speakers. I think he said they were Tangent 50. What's your thought on these speakers? He haven't given me more detail yet, nor the pricing. How are they compared with the newer Klipsch and the Heresy? Thanks!
  15. A

Attention Los Angles Area Residents -- Let's Get Together

So where do I show up? I'm in South Bay.
  16. A

What's Your BEST Score $$ ??

My brother bought a mint Mac 225 for $15 at a flea market. I bought a Fisher 500c with case for $25. :banana:
  17. A

Magnavox Tube Amp

Them Magnavox are nice. I have a bone stock 9302 that sounds too good to be true. I also salvage a PP Packard Bell 6bq5 amp that is similar in design of the Magnavox. Does anyone have the schematic for the Pacard Bell? I replaced the power resistors and the PS electrolytics, coupling caps...
  18. A

What camera(s) do you own?

RAKZ, My F3T "ugly as hell" means that it was thoroughly beaten when I bought it. Paint chip etc. but the body was not dented at all (titanium will do that to you). I actually really like to way the F3T handles and look. Kind a like a retro-brick-chic look. BTW, I played around with...
  19. A

What camera(s) do you own?

B&W Photography was my first love and I spent all my time reading and learning about it. I spent what I earned on it. Bought a Nikon FG with motor drive two cheesy Tamron zooms because I thought camera body is where to spend what little $$$ I have. Didn't know any better back then. Then I...
  20. A

Help with my Toshiba 3950

Thanks for the help!
  21. A

headphone users? what cans do you have?

I'm using a well worn Beyerdynamic DT-880M driven by my home made 6922/6AS7 OTL amp. Nice laid back sound with a bit of fat bass. I also used this can with my older 6n1p OTL amp I built using Bruce Bender schematic (HEADWIZE Project). Much more dynamic and punch. I guess that it depends on...
  22. A

Help with my Toshiba 3950

Hope someone out there can help me. I bought a Toshiba 3950 (no mods, yet) about six months ago and it was working fine :) . Recent I noticed that every CD I play through it sounds distorted :worried: . For example I was listening to "Come Away With Me" by Norah Jones and it sounds like the...
  23. A

My restored Magnavox EL84 PP console power-amp

Nice job Raul!!! I have one just like yours. Question. How did you manage to clean the amp to look like new. When I got mine, it was covered with dirt, grime, etc. I used some degreaser and managed to clean up alot of the crud, but it's not shiny like yours :( And how did you get the OPT...
  24. A

Help with EICO HF-12 On-Off Tone Pot/Switch

Thank you guys for the reply. I'll start looking to see if I can replace the pot or bypass it, thought I would like to keep the original look. Question for Thatch_Ear. You mentioned that I can mod the Hf-12 to make it SE EL-84. What kind of wiring changes do I need to do and does this...
  25. A

Help with EICO HF-12 On-Off Tone Pot/Switch

Hello everyone! I've been checking out this website for a while and really love it! (as long as my boss don't find out I'm surfing during work ;) ). Anyway, I just bought two EICO HF-12. One's in pretty good shape, but the other one needs help. The On/Off Tone pot/switch is loose. I can pull...
Back
Top Bottom