Search results

1. rushfan

Can I use A Denon overhang gauge with other cartridges?

First of all, I haven't posted for ages. It's good to be back! I recently purchased a Goldring E3 MM cartridge to spare some of the wear and tear on my Denon DL-110 since its stylus isn't replaceable. I bought the Denon years ago (thanks to recommendations here) but it has very few hours on it...
  2. rushfan

Denon DL-110 - MM or MC Input Compatibility

Resurrecting this old thread. haven't used my PL-600 in a decade (it's a long story) but I fired it up tonight and it still sounds great. The Denon cartridge on there couldn't have more than 40 hours of use on it. So glad I didn't sell the two of them. One downside - the cueing button doesn't...
  3. rushfan

Anyone get audiophile burnout?

I switched sides a few years ago. Went from consuming music to making it. Still have a few pieces left over from the good old days. I use my Pioneer HPM-100's nearly every day. Still have a couple of vintage Pioneer receivers in storage, too. My hearing isn't great since I've taken up the...
  4. rushfan

The 35 year repair

Cool story! I'm a drummer so no such issues here :biggrin:
  5. rushfan

Yamaha RX-V870

I honestly don't think that you can. You need the discrete analogue 5.1 inputs for that. Nevertheless, an excellent stereo receiver :thumbsup:
  6. rushfan

High-End AVRs for Stereo?

I'm very, very pleased to say that I have reacquired my Yamaha RX-V2090 from my STB ex-wife. I left it with her four years ago with the caveat that she return it to me instead of selling it should it be replaced for any reason. Well, MY replacement just bought a new Yamaha 7.1 receiver for...
  7. rushfan

I suspect that you are a young man and new to this game. Your enthusiasm is admirable. The experience will come, and with it, wisdom. In the meantime, enjoy the journey.
  8. rushfan

Absolutely, utterly untrue. Perhaps you have been unlucky in the past but there are multichannel receivers out there (past and present) that sound jaw-droppingly good in two channel mode. In a blind listening test, I would defy you to tell them apart from units costing ten times as much...
  9. rushfan

My journey has been the same. I have owned all kinds of good 70's stuff but frankly, the Yamaha RX-V870, RX-V890 and RX-V2090 receivers that I owned at one time or another were all superb sounding units, especially in two channel mode. The RX-V870 was particularly good - perhaps my favourite...
  10. rushfan

Divorce

This is music to my ears :music: Separate residences is the way to go, IMO. It's hard to miss somebody when they're around all of the time and you don't get bogged down in silly "who left the cap off the toothpaste?" arguments. I don't know that I'll ever cohabitate with a woman again, knowing...
  11. rushfan

Divorce

Great update, Sleep! You didn't say if you were seeing anybody yet. There's no better cure for getting over somebody than to find somebody new! There are some misunderstandings about it but "Game" is a good thing to learn and the self-improvement it requires will benefit all areas of your...
  12. rushfan

Pioneer HPM-100s - Who has them?

Thanks! I've been spending A LOT of time in that room lately. The speakers get so loud sometimes that I can feel the breeze from their ports. I'm driving them with the Onkyo TX-6500 MKII in my avatar. Anyway, here's the original thread that I followed...
  13. rushfan

Pioneer HPM-100s - Who has them?

My standard advice is to recap the crossovers. It's inexpensive and easy and improves the HPM's greatly. There's a detailed thread about it around here somewhere. I recently took my 100's out of semi-retirement because I needed something LOUD and STURDY to help me with drum practice. My God, I...
  14. rushfan

Yamaha DSP-A1000 vs RX-V2090

I had a 2090 for years and LOVED it. My ex wife has it now and I made it clear that I wanted it back when she's finished with it. SOLID build quality. I can't say much about the a1000 because I never owned one, but the 2090 is a beast. :thumbsup:
  15. rushfan

Pioneer HPM-100 vs Cerwin Vega D-7

I've never heard D-7's but I own a pair of D-3's and my HPM-100's sound much better to my ear. I'm better able to dial-in the midrange and high-end on the Pioneers.
  16. rushfan

Pioneer D1S: no sound output except in Direct mode

I hope you get it working properly. A truly excellent sounding receiver!
  17. rushfan

Finally bought a SX-880

Congrats! It was an SX-880 that got me started in vintage audio. I still have it, too!
  18. rushfan

Interesting "mod" for the HPM-100...

I know I'm responding to an old thread but that's exactly what I did: replaced the mids with parts from 900s and recapped the crossovers. I might do the tweeters one day so this is a good tip for me still!
  19. rushfan

Should volume into USB dac matter?

If you're looking for a stellar audio player for Android, be sure to check out Neuton MP. It's very powerful and full of advanced features such as a parametric EQ. It costs $4.99 but worth every penny.
  20. rushfan

Should volume into USB dac matter?

That's my understanding, too.
  21. rushfan

Show Off Your Small Listening Space

I sure appreciate them. I've got a whole set. C-5's up front, C-1's in the rear and a CC-1 in the center. Fantastic speakers!
  22. rushfan

Dual 505-2

I paid $90 for my 505-4 but in hindsight that was a crazy bargain. The 505s are superb tables. They were still making them a couple of years ago and they were selling for about $1200 at the time, IIRC. I wouldn't pay that for one but then again, I wouldn't pay that for ANY turntable. I would...
  23. rushfan

Smaller Advent GW Rescue

I enjoyed reading this thread. I have a pair of SAs that I had refoamed a couple of years ago that have been in storage since then. I'm going to pull them out and give them a listen tonight.
  24. rushfan

Hello from New Brunswick, Canada

Welcome aboard!
Back
Top Bottom