Search results

1. TubeDroid

Colored vinyl?

Translucent gold: Madcats (debut) Translucent rich medium blue: ZON (Back Down to Earth) I have a VERY deep purple Deep Purple. For years I thought it was black, but turning it over once, something caught my eye so I held it up to a light and found out that it was coloured vinyl. Sure sounds...
  2. TubeDroid

My wife !!!!!!

Kind of different around here: I let her spend more on her sewing room that I spend on audio, and I'm willing to eat whatever she cooks.
  3. TubeDroid

What’s it called when???

Then there's "Veja du", the feeling you are going to be experiencing something again. I have it at work all the time.
  4. TubeDroid

Transformer questions

The one main is 400-0-400, the other main is 875 no CT. The 875 main ohmed out to about 700 ohms, and if I remember correctly, it was about 18 AWG stranded and tinned. The other main was a solid enameled wire that ohmed out to almost exactly 40 ohms both sides from the center tap. I think I have...
  5. TubeDroid

Transformer questions

It was a Radio Specialty Mfg. FM Deviation Meter Model 1163-50-4. Mostly used for two way radio servicing. The only info I can find on it is that some people are looking for documentation, and others are selling documentation. Tube lineup? I've already got ten or twelve pulled, and there's still...
  6. TubeDroid

Transformer questions

Ah, that makes sense. Again I over thought it. I did notice that some leads were stranded and different gauges. I was perusing the Hammond site and I suppose I should have wondered why the data sheets don't have the lead wire gauges listed....... This is great! The posts so far here have...
  7. TubeDroid

Transformer questions

Now that's thinking... yes, there's a fuse there; sometimes I over think things.......... :whip: And there is an hour and a half drive away now, so I guess I won't know until the weekend. I have a receiver with 7591 outputs that I've never seen draw more them 1.5 amps regardless of level, and...
  8. TubeDroid

Transformer questions

I have a derelict FM deviation meter that I'm scavenging for parts: some 12AT7s, 12AU7s, 12AX7s, 6AU6s, several triode/pentodes, lots of single and dual diodes, a regulator tube, a CRT to play with, some good stuff. After doing my due diligence and did some lead tracing I hauled the...
  9. TubeDroid

Ear Maintenance & Cleaning?

Yup. Once or twice a year; I notice the improvement every time.
  10. TubeDroid

Fixing bias on a Manley Stingray

I would think that at this point, the check would be better spent on food, don't ya think?:lurk:
  11. TubeDroid

New guy has 500C prepped in the OR.

Cool. Thanks for the info. When I started this, it was my intention to leave as much of the original wiring as I could. I think i can suppress my laziness and cope with this, unlike my next project, an AM radio where the wire jacket is rubber and completely disintegrating and the osc. coil...
  12. TubeDroid

Sure answers my questions, thanks. Have to check on those 5 pf caps on the weekend. Add them if they're not there? I have a whole whack of 735a cable that is described as: 26 AWG solid .016" (.40mm) silver-plated copper conductor(s), foam HDPE insulation, Beldfoil® + tinned copper braid shield...
  13. TubeDroid

Well it's been awhile and I have a couple of questions about the 500C::) 1. I'm using SM 30001 to 59999. :thumbsup: According to the Parts Description List, C81 and C83 are 820/1000V caps, and I indeed have 820/1000V caps. Somewhere along the way I found a much more legible Parts...
  14. TubeDroid

Fisher 500 mono no sound?

I'm sure it wasn't disrespect at the time; it was a case of making sure that if you get zapped, current running through your body has a much better chance of bypassing your heart if you use your right hand. Maybe that theory's been disproven since the '60's. Sorry if you took exception.
  15. TubeDroid

Fisher 500 mono no sound?

On thumb rule I've been told twice by college professors is "If you're right handed, use your right hand and keep your left hand in your pocket, and if you're left handed, put your left hand in your pocket and keep your right hand where you can see it." Reason being that if you are going to...
  16. TubeDroid

Silly question from a tube newbie

So what causes microphonics? A feedback system of acoustics of sufficient SPL causing a physical coupling of the glass envelope and internal elements sometimes reduced by use of tube dampers. Just me thinking out loud...........
  17. TubeDroid

Your single favorite sound?

Ladysmith Black Mambazo. Chills. Just chills. I stop what I do and just listen. Chills.
  18. TubeDroid

Little blue lights

It's not just audio equipment. The blue light on our water cooler in the kitchen lights up the whole ground floor of the house. Couple of layers of red nail polish turned it kind of purple, and MUCH more subdued, but it still makes a convenient night light for those 3 am snacks.
  19. TubeDroid

Acquired a variac

I got the 200 volt version of that one. As it sits, it isn't fused. It was recommended that I fuse it at 6 amp for protection (you and the variac itself), so I gutted an old aluminum lightning surge protection box and bolted an in line fuse holder inside and installed it on the cable from the...
  20. TubeDroid

Older can capacitors

I was perusing my local electronic junk store, and I ran across a few cases of NOS (still in their boxes) Sprague can caps of various ranges and values. Maybe 4 or 5 boxes with 30 or 40 cans per box. I know that when restoring old equipment that hasn't been powered up in years one should...
  21. TubeDroid

Later 500C service manual

8.2 Kohm? Looks like violet-red-red to me. :dunno: What threw me is that I measured what is nominally correct at the grid (+/- 1% or so). Just one of those things that make you go hmmmmmm......... Cheers.
  22. TubeDroid

Later 500C service manual

Hi, I have a late model 500C (S/N 66645U) and I was wondering if there was a design change in the bias supply in the later models. Tracing through the schematic for R131 (15Kohm) and R132 (5.6 Kohm), I think I've found these resistors but I have 27 Kohms for R131,and 7.2 Kohm for R132. Is yours...
  23. TubeDroid

Cut a plank long enough for the 500c and the IKEA Lazy Susan, drill a couple holes to beable to attach the chassis to the board, and a couple more to attach to the Lazy Susan. Main Power Transformer on the bottom side forstability Sounds perfect. Guess I wasn't thinking far enough outside...
  24. TubeDroid

Hi all, A few years ago (8 or 10, maybe?) my brother-in-law GAVE (!) me a 500C (S/N 66645U) that he had hauled out of his father's console. I took it home and immediately plugged it in and put my headphones on and I was astounded at the capture and sensitivity of the FM, even in my basement and...
  25. TubeDroid

Fireworks biased EL34 :(

I just bought a variac for the Fisher restoration, so I guess the PAKi11 will be the first guinea pig. Here's a couple of photos, but I don't see anything different between the one that blew and it's mate in the circuit. The blown one is on the left in both photos. I would have thought I...
Back
Top Bottom