Search results

1. judsonw

First Stylus Down

After having the Ortofon 2M Blue for 21 months, it finally kicked the bucket. Last week I was listening to some new records I got and was enjoying them. I then started Rhiannon Giddens' "There is no Other" and thought disc one sounded good. Partly through the first song on disc two, I noticed...
  2. judsonw

Niche Question - Pablo Casals' Bach's Cello Suites

A friend of mine has lent me a mono release of Pablo Casals' recording of Bach's Cello Suites on vinyl. (Specifically, this release). I will probably make a digital copy and I will probably buy a vinyl copy of my own, however I was wondering if there was a ranking of remastering of the...
  3. judsonw

Raspberry Pi 4 Announced

Raspberry Pi 4 has been announced with a few upgrades. Gigabyte ethernet, 2 USB 2 ports, 2 USB 3 ports, options of 1, 2, or 4 GB of ram, two 4k HDMI outputs for dual monitors. It is supposed to be backwards compatible so you should be able to use any HATs and software you used on previous...
  4. judsonw

Tips for picking out a tape deck?

I am thinking of trying to pick up a cassette tape deck at some point in the near future. I do not have many cassettes, but that may change, however I must admit I am kind of out of my depth when looking at the thrift store or other used market places. Yes, I realize there are probably a few...
  5. judsonw

Potential New Speakers but Need Work - DFS

I came across and ad for a pair of DFS speaker cabinets and it is enticing, but the ad does mention that putting new drivers in would result in a nice set of speakers. There are drivers in it right now, but I am not sure their quality. This thread here is one of the few things I found that had...
  6. judsonw

New Klipsch?

I realize this is mostly about the older Klipsch, but I have the opportunity to get a pair of newer R-15M speakers. Do people have any opinions on these? Or about the R-25C center speaker which I may pick up in a few weeks if I like the R-15Ms. My dad is upgrading, so he is offering my...
  7. judsonw

A Question about Counting Hours

I keep seeing things like "These tubes last 2000 hours" or this "this stylus is good for 1000 hours" and whatnot (numbers pulled out of nowhere for the sake of argument). I also see people stating that they have put 40 hours on this stylus or these headphones before changes started to be...
  8. judsonw

Got a Dual 1215

This was my dad's and then it started to lag in speed from time to time. He ordered a 1229 and said I could have this one if I wanted to fix it up. I jumped at that as I currently do not have a table that lets you stack records, nor do I have one that plays 78s. It came with an Ortofan OM10...
  9. judsonw

Dual 1219 Erratic Speeds

So, I have the opportunity to get a Dual 1219 with a known issue of it has started to run slower. (It is my dad's and he had been listening to a 45 he got for a friend. When she came to pick it up, he noticed it was suddenly playing slower, so they played it on his other table and it was fine...
  10. judsonw

Fortuitous Skips

Inspired by a post in a thread in the turntable section, I remembered an instance where an album of mine skipped in a way that worked out well (other than it was skipping which is annoying). As such, I wanted to start a thread where people can post instances where that 1.8 second skip (for 33...
  11. judsonw

Beyerdynamic Choices

I am thinking of maybe picking up a set of Beyerdynamic headphones. I have Sennheiser HD600s that I like, but am also intrigued by the DT 770, DT 880, and DT 990. Does anyone have experience with any of these to compare? I will be looking for a place where I can try to listen to them myself...
  12. judsonw

Sugar Cube 2 Beta

I went to visit my folks this past weekend because my dad was excited about his new toy. He heard about the Sugar Cube from Sweet Vinyl and was instantly interested (https://www.sweetvinyl.com/). He managed to talk to the owners and get himself into the beta for the new Sugar Cube 2. It is...
  13. judsonw

New Raspberry Pi 3 B+

A new Raspberry Pi was released today. Better processing, better wireless, better ethernet. Might be interesting to play with. https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-3-model-bplus-sale-now-35/
  14. judsonw

Bluetooth/Wifi speaker suggestions?

I do sound for a church that is moving. In the old space there was a 'cry room' where mothers could take infants that were crying, and we had a wired speaker set up that was connected to an output of the soundboard (going through a small speaker amp). In the new location, there is no option to...
  15. judsonw

New Yorker article about Audiophilia

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/audiophilia-forever-an-expensive-new-years-shopping-guide I am amused that they have a Rega RP8 with a Denon DL-103. I acknowledge I have not heard the DL-103 and I do not doubt that it is good, but I cannot help but thing that there are other...
  16. judsonw

Monster Power Pro 2500?

I may have the option to buy one and was wondering people's opinions on them. Having read a bit on the forum, I am aware that power conditioners can improve sound, do nothing, or hinder sound, so I am not looking to reopen that discussion. My question is more whether people have opinions of...
  17. judsonw

Tube Rolling Newb Question

I have a couple tube pieces in my stereo and I am getting to the point where I am getting ready to do the fun activity of tube rolling. My first tube rolling (which will be later this year) is for my Antique Sound Lab aq-1003dt which uses 4 EL34s and 4 12AU7s. My understanding is that the...
  18. judsonw

One small rant because I am tired

I just got home today after hanging out with friends. It is late and I know that the soundtrack for Baby Driver is waiting in my mailbox. I live in an apartment complex so it is one of those community boxes things. Vinyl fits perfectly in the package box, however it also has a tendency to jam...
  19. judsonw

Judson's Digitized Tapes

I have about a dozen or so tapes that my dad recorded off of radio and TV programs in the 70s and 80s. I am slowly going through them and digitizing them and plan on providing links here for the files if anyone is interested in hearing them. Presently, my system for ripping is a TEAC A-2300SD...
  20. judsonw

TEAC A-2300SD Capstan Speed Adjustment?

I have downloaded the maintenance manual from hifi engine, but I cannot find how to adjust the speed of the capstan motor. I have made certain that the belt was in place (at first it was on the lip of the wheel connected to the capstan motor, I fixed that, but that did not affect things). I...
  21. judsonw

Dual 1215 Confusion

First, the Dual is working fine, I am just not sure why. This past weekend I went to visit my folks and help my dad with two turntables. The first was a Realistic Lab-2000 he was fixing up and needed some white lithium grease which I had; he figured he would use some of mine rather than buy a...
  22. judsonw

Storage Suggestions

Given some new acquisitions, I need to rearrange my audio gear. My current set up is in this thread. I am adding in a reel to reel, a rasberry pi, and a schiit modi multibit. I would rather not have the reel to reel on the floor and it is slightly too big to go under the shelves that exist...
  23. judsonw

Tapes Recollected

This is not a score. This is me finally taking these reels from my parents' garage (after I did maintenance on the Teac A-2300SD). Of course, now I realize I have no idea where my take up reel went...
  24. judsonw

The Defenders

I just finished watching this last night, which is surprising because I do not speed through most shows (I will be honest, the dramatic tension that happens in shows like Daredevil and Jessica Jones make me slow down a bit). General, spoiler free review: fairly light show, but good. It follows...
  25. judsonw

Firing up an old TEAC A-2300SD

After it has spent over a decade wrapped in plastic in my parent's garage, I have finally took my dad's old TEAC A-2300SD to my apartment and will be setting it up next week. (Note: my dad is still around, but about 15 years ago he was planning on getting rid of the old reel to reel with all of...
Back
Top Bottom