Search results

1. ponderbear

Astonishing Sony XDRF1HD Tuner

At first I really liked the sound but I think in retrospect what is making the difference is the absence of noise. My Proton 440 has the Schotz circuitry but still can't beat it in terms of quietness. The only thing in my mind that comes close was my old Sony ST-A6B which was dead quiet. Not...
  2. ponderbear

Happy Birthday Tentoze!

Tip of the hat to you, sir. Here's hoping your day's a good one.
  3. ponderbear

A audiophile's impressions on owning a IPOD....

the headphones that come with ipods are sucky little pieces of crap, for sure. I found some Sony and XtremeMac buds I like and interchange for my own amusement. I find 320kbps mp3s to be fine since the buds are not exactly heavy resolvers. The thing about these portable players is the myriad...
  4. ponderbear

Poor gadget lover seeks help dealing with passing on holiday sales....

Yep, I know that drill. I'm looking to get a matching amp for my proton tuner and deciding what piece or two I can stand to live without...:scratch2: broke, too.. spent the last remaining Christmas shekels on a wii.
  5. ponderbear

Best AM tuner around, new or used

Another option to explore: do the stations stream online? If you're desperate for the information, sound quality most likely will not be as good but then all you need is an Internet connection.
  6. ponderbear

Best AM tuner around, new or used

Height is not a consideration for an AM antenna- it's skywaves, so really you're mostly concerned with wavelength. A really fine full-coverage receiver such as the AOR 7030 or Drake R8A, together with a box loop might produce good results. Plans to make such a loop are here...
  7. ponderbear

My birthday today!

have a good one, young'un!
  8. ponderbear

Music to listen to while high

For sure.. someone punk'd me with that one when we were on a little window pane once. This was a friend of mine who loved to freak me out with crazy music at times like this. I flipped my lid but after a little shopping trip hardly played anyone else for a month. Other artists she did this to...
  9. ponderbear

Yippe it's over

Yep, like anything, Christmas is what you make it. Personally, I'm really enjoying it this year. Lots of merry making, interesting new recipes instead of the same old heavy stuff, and the most important, down time spent with the family. Where are you guys ODing on bad Christmas music...
  10. ponderbear

Hey Grandpa, What's For Breakfast?

I'm relieved to say I find all of the above either nasty or perplexing. Although I do love roasting ears and spit plenty of watermelon seeds, never for distance though.
  11. ponderbear

That explains your sig! It looks like you kept forgetting how much Mac gear you already had :)
  12. ponderbear

New Years Resolutions?

My wife is putting me (both of us, actually) on a strict Mediterranean diet starting Jan 1. I'm glad she's putting the smack down on me, I've been struggling to lose weight for years and just can't stay away from the sausage biscuits. My resolution, simply, is to obey. Gear-wise, I resolve to...
  13. ponderbear

When I indulged back in the day, I thought everything sounded better in that state. Turns out I was wrong, but it was fun trying to decide. I'm with the guy who likes the Byrds, any sweet harmonies seem sweeter up there. Early REM is nice, too. Any and all Beatles, of course! Rubber Soul...
  14. ponderbear

You could do that, but unless you just want to go ultra-compact I recommend a good quality vintage integrated amp. I have mine hooked up to Realistic SA-1001 which I believe helps enrich the sound a little. And having some tone control is nice. FM stations sound awesome on my Stax SR-84s!
  15. ponderbear

Did you ever think

To answer your question, yes. I was firmly addicted to this hobby early in life. Not to acquisition, but to the tradition stereo layout: receiver, turntable, recording tape deck, speakers. I've had a stereo like this at hand in my daily life since birth (my parents always had some kind of...
  16. ponderbear

No blame, musichal... We've all fallen for purdy before. At least I know I have. I now refer to it as the "starter marriage." ;)
  17. ponderbear

Just saw Valkyrie. My Review.

My favorite Tom Cruise movie is Austin Powers- Goldmember. :D
  18. ponderbear

Opinions needed

Sound Dynamics seem to be known for good value for the dollar: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=118178 700s appear to the be TOTL, so they ought to be some nice speakers.
  19. ponderbear

Santa Audio Karma Claus

Things get dusty and corroded in there, drivers cut in and out, therefore "bad." Probably everyone on AK who trolls for the old stuff has gotten at least one piece of gear that works perfectly after a good cleaning.
  20. ponderbear

ok, report what you got & one thing you're thankful for.

My wife's and my parents have had some health issues in the past- thankfully, nothing plaguing them at the moment. So holiday celebration has been pleasant. Spending the morning lollygagging around in bed and in pajamas in the living room was a welcome change from the usual routine, for sure...
  21. ponderbear

No, that is definitely not the case with mine. AM sounds like AM, FM sounds like FM with no background noise, when in digital mode, like normal FM in analog mode. My old Sony wideband AM tuner sounded worlds better on AM.
  22. ponderbear

110DB human atinuator?

yeah, I'd try that! I'll try anything once...
  23. ponderbear

Hello from the North coast!

Welcome, Rod! Great stuff, Eico.
  24. ponderbear

"The Greek Audiophile" You guys gotta check this out!!!

I was gonna make a comment about the music in that video. I was quite impressed by the selection. And I was unfamiliar with it for the most part, except of course "Love Reign O'er me" at the end there.. I liked it so much I took screen grabs to hunt for it all later.
  25. ponderbear

Radio Flyer wagon screwed up with technology

yeah, when you spend all day riding your bike or whatever, playing sandlot baseball, crawling around in the weeds, climbing onto houses and giant hay bales and what have you, cold tap water is damn tasty! :yes: yep! And in winter, the old bridge at the bottom of the ravine would get buried...
Back
Top Bottom