Search results

1. J

Technics SL-M2 Turntable - Autolift & Pitch Control Help?

Hello MrNegative. I have not yet figured out the fix. Another member bwv1 asked recently. He got the auto lift to work by spraying some DeOxit on the voltage regulator pot on the small tone arm control board. I reopened my turntable and went at it with high hopes, sprayed the pot, wiggled in...
  2. J

Yamaha RX-570

I just picked up an RX 550 for $50 - hoping to make a gift of it soon. It was the filthiest thing I’d seen in a long time, so grimy that everything inside was gray with dust, and the front controls were speckled with old cleaning sprays and finger oils. Anywho, I got it all pretty again with...
  3. J

What media player to use so I do not need laptop?

I don't get it either... Is there no market for a full sized / non-portable component that offers a touchscreen interface and storage with analog output? There's the Nativ Vita, which looks amazing, but no analog output, so requires a DAC. Anything else similar out there? I'm using a portable...
  4. J

Polk Audio Monitor 10 cap upgrade kits...??

A point to point board would be a fun project! I will start thinking about that. I had the black wires to the red + tabs, with one tweeter reversed. All good now.
  5. J

Thanks again for the advice :) I swapped the crossovers, no change, same imbalance. It must be an imbalance from the amp after all. That’s at a shop now for a bench test. The solder on my crossovers did look clumpy but intact, no sign of broken contact. I added some more low temp hot glue for...
  6. J

Thanks! Pushing in the PR, the mids release slowly, no noticeable leak, same on both speakers. They don't fully release until I let go of the PR, actually. If it is an air leak, possible from the front gaskets, given that the cabinets have no visible damage? Or is it possible that a weak...
  7. J

Howdy folks! I recapped my Monitor 10 speakers a few months ago. I now notice that one sounds lower than the other; specifically, it seems to be the low end, bass frequencies not to the same volume as the other side. My SA-9900 amp has a nice feature to reverse stereo and listen to just L or...
  8. J

Any Pioneer SA9900 fans out there?.....

Anyone know why the SA-9900 has a normal / separated switch in addition to left and right power-in / pre-out plugs? Is there any reason to use a jumper in addition to having the switch on normal for use as an integrated amp? I just got an SA-9900 from its original owner, barely used and super...
  9. J

VU Meters on cassette decks

Good idea vwestlife - thanks! I can’t read schematics, but I bet there is a way to accomplish the same effect at the meters or at whatever control board is in there for the meters, bridging the play & record signal. And yes, the meters seem fine during playback, and this deck has a line in...
  10. J

Thanks safebet - but to avoid having to stress the machine with pause / record, and to avoid having to have a cassette in there, how can I modify the circuitry to have the meters active at all times, whenever a signal is sent? Must be a way, probably applicable to many decks...
  11. J

Cool thread! A somewhat related question – is there a way to hot-wire or modify a cassette deck to have the VU meters active at all times when a signal is sent from the rec out of an amplifier? My Technics 631 deck has lovely meters that are active during playback and recording. When I’m...
  12. J

replacing stock preamp jumpers = a leap forward

So... What's the point of the normal / separate switch in addition to RCA pairs for pre in / out? I've seen this on my Pioneer and Kenwood integrated amps. The Kenwood had steel jumpers bridging the connections and a piece of clear plastic keeping the switch set. Same switch on the Pioneer, but...
  13. J

Technics RS-631 Cassette Deck

I have a 631 deck - sounds good to me! Any ideas if it can be modified to have the VU meters move all the time, without having to arm a tape for recording?
  14. J

NEW TOY HEATHKIT AD-1307 Adiou Control Center with NUDES

If anyone's still reading here... I haven't found an AD-1307 yet, but I'm wondering if one can be modified to have RCA stereo inputs for a single line-in from an output on an integrated amp, something like the OP's SA-9100 (nice amp!)? Otherwise, how is it connected to the system?
  15. J

External VU meter? Where do I find one?

My Technics 631 stereo cassette deck has nice meters that move on playback and when recording is in progress. Is there a way to modify the deck so the meters move all the time, with any signal coming in, without having to press record?
  16. J

Hi there - hope this finds you well penninw! Please let me know if you are making cases and able...

Hi there - hope this finds you well penninw! Please let me know if you are making cases and able to do something for a Pioneer amp. Thanks :)
  17. J

Hello Merrylander - hope this finds you well! I read on a thread somewhere that you might be...

Hello Merrylander - hope this finds you well! I read on a thread somewhere that you might be able to make a wood cabinet for an old amp? Please let me know. Thanks!
  18. J

Pioneer wooden cases

Hi folks - Is anyone still making cases? Thanks :)
  19. J

Pioneer SX-1010 Receiver

How would the SX-1010 sound compare to that of the SA-9900 or SA-9500 or SA-9500ii integrated amplifiers? I got rid of my SX-1010 and, of course, I miss it. I had no need for the tuner though... Considering the additional power, the SA-9900 looks interesting...
  20. J

Yamaha a1000 1985

I just began using an all original A-1000. Lovely, clear, balanced - but no guts, no thump or rumble to the low end, as I was hoping to hear, being used to a Pioneer SX-1010. Listening with restored Polk Monitor 10 speakers... I now have the bass pot maxed, so not getting any of the direct mode...
  21. J

Yamaha A-S1000, pulled the trigger

Just saw this thread, while searching for the A-1000 “bass” ... I just acquired an A-1000, which replaces an old Pioneer SX-1010 that would literary shake the walls of my house. The Yamaha, not so much, despite being crystal clear, balanced, and pleasant. I guess I’m also a “bottom dweller”! I...
  22. J

Adding a Preamp Out Jack to Yamaha A-1000 Integrated Amp

Wow this is all so cool! I just picked up in A-1000 and an Adcom GFA 545. I was all set and excited to play with the Adcom using preamp outs from the Yamaha, but they’re not there! Before I go and modify this just for the sake of a fun afternoon, would anybody see a benefit to using the Adcom...
  23. J

Yamaha A-1000 Repair and Info Thread

I'm fascinated by all the amazing work you folks are doing! Way above my pay-grade... Does anyone know folks around Phoenix, Arizona who could work on an A-1000 competently? I got one recently - very nice, original condition. I blew some air and DeOxit to clean. There's a bunch of ugly glue in a...
  24. J

Yamaha A-S1100 Owners?

I am still wondering if the A-S1100 or even the A-S801 would have the oomph and fullness and sparkle like a Pioneer SX-1010, a beast. I sat and listened critically to my Kenwood KA-9100 and quickly switched back to the Pioneer. Both need work / restoration. Does the power / clarity of the...
  25. J

Yamaha AVS-700 Natural Sound AV Selector - Lots o' inputs! phono? Pioneer SX-1010

I just read in the manual online - 2.5mV / 47k-ohms for the phono input sensitivity / impedance on the Yamaha AVS-700. The Pioneer SX-1010 manual states 2.5mV / 50 k-ohms. Is the difference in resistance anything that might explain the distortion I'm hearing when using the Yamama's phono...
Back
Top Bottom