Search results

1. dinger

Three Best Preamps from NAD: 1300, 1240 and 1130?

The 1300 is a nice preamp and rated differently than the THX 2700. Note on the 2700 the response rating limits are +0 to -3db while the 1300 rating limits are +/-.3db for the audible spectrum. This is an apples & oranges thing and not a valid comparison. So the 1300 won't be limiting the...
  2. dinger

Should the twice yearly time change be abolished?

It's always 12 noon on the VCR!
  3. dinger

Anyone Using Nano VNA to Tune FM Antennas?

When I look at my 75ohm load at the VNA I get a nice dot in the center of the smith chart. At the end of the coax I get a 1" diameter circle around the center. I suppose I could calibrate at the end of the coax but the receiver doesn't get the luxury of being hooked up there so I believe I need...
  4. dinger

I have an H4 and am now at firmware 1.2.2. The update was a bit of an adventure but I managed without bricking the darn thing so I feel pretty smaht right now! I'm sweeping 88 to 108 Mhz for the cal and measurements. The antenna is in the attic and I'm measuring at the end of the 25' coax where...
  5. dinger

Got firmware updated. Trying a few things...
  6. dinger

I'm struggling to get believable results due to 50 ohm VNA VS 75 ohm FM impedance. Some say you need to use conversion transformers while some say a mechanical adaptor will give some loss but won't affect resonant freq which is what I'm most interested in. I've built my own 75 cal jigs so I can...
  7. dinger

Do indoor antennas vary much?

Location is certainly a factor. I have two TV antennas. 1 - Does great. 2 - not nearly as well.... until the leaves dropped in the fall. Once I feel like going up in the crawl space again I'll be moving #2 farther down to see if I can shoot the gap between the two red maples.
  8. dinger

Do indoor antennas vary much?

The Steller omni is probably the best bang for the buck. I have at least 4 of them in various attic spaces in various positions including horizontal and vertical. You can increase the directionality if desired by mounting the elements like an "S" instead of a circle for focusing on more fringe...
  9. dinger

A New Pet Peeve

If your at Home Depot looking for the caulk, you might want to slip a bit of the l in there.
  10. dinger

Vintage McIntosh/Marantz FM reception very poor when compared to slightly newer Digital Yamaha - antenna help please

Location, location, Location! I know this isn't about real-estate but it still applies. If its a pain to move you Mac's try moving your wife's radio here your Macs are.
  11. dinger

What's on your FM tuner right now?

Believe by Caamp on WCLZ 98.9 (Brunswick, ME broadcast location). A bit of a stretch to me in Scarborough 28 miles to the south but getting a good strong signal tonight on a Rotel RT-1080. Have no trouble getting this station another 20 miles down the road in my car but need the Steller Labs...
  12. dinger

Are vintage watts the same as modern watts

The FTC was more strict in the old days and WPC was specified for continuous output. Todays "peak" numbers are inflated in a sense. It's arguable that music only requires bursts of power but there's no replacement for displacement!
  13. dinger

FM Signal Strength vs Wiring Quality

What was the lpa deep fringe? Sounds like a great name for a micro-brew!
  14. dinger

"AM Stereo Waaay Better than FM?"

Here's a quote from this article: https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-Catalogs/Miscellaneous-Manufacturers/Motorola-C-Quam-1982-1985.pdf "The actual measured performance of the Motorola system connected to a typical plate modulatec AM broadcast transmitter is excellent, nearly that of FM...
  15. dinger

FM Signal Strength vs Wiring Quality

The Sony has modern signal processing that makes the most out of a weak signal. Try a single RG6 direct from your attic antenna to the Marantz and you'll probably hear an improvement.
  16. dinger

So I returned to my Stereo HIFI hobby.......

A few new tuners are out there. Rotel T11, Rolls RS18B, Nad 427C, McIntosh MR89 (if you just won the lottery). If you don't mind used then a wide whole world opens up. If I was you I'd think back 30 years ago to that tuner you always wanted and track one down!
  17. dinger

Attic antenna success!

Yes, and $30 extra cash too! I think the Britta marketing team found the typo in the Steller's product description with dimensions in cm when they should be in inches.
  18. dinger

Attic antenna success!

OK, It claims to be larger but commenters indicate they are the exact same antenna.
  19. dinger

Attic antenna success!

Interesting. The Britta looks like a larger diameter version of the Steller.
  20. dinger

Which tuner would u keep?

Probably the Yamaha but make it fun and do a shoot out on the tuner sections and let us know what you think!
  21. dinger

Yamaha T-S500 - No Power

I'd get the stereo in my workshop going while I was in there debugging away on it so always had a good time listening to tunes anyway. S'aul good man! Oh,.and maybe a few beers were involved...
  22. dinger

Yamaha T-S500 - No Power

In case anyone reading this thread hasn't been able to sleep for two years this story has a happy ending. Friday, my workplace is having electronic recycling and that's where this tuner is going! My decision is based on the following: 1. I bought this cheap off ebay as not working or parts so...
  23. dinger

Adcom GFT-555 II not remembering presets

This is a perfect thread!
  24. dinger

Is capacitor break-in a thing...

No, it's not a thing. Caps can only deteriorate over time.
  25. dinger

one antenna-->multiple tuners?

Those antennas are so inexpensive I would put two in the attic in different locations and you'll probably get the most possible stations between the two receivers.
Back
Top Bottom