Search results

1. Aerochrome

[Troubleshooting] BEOVOX MS 150 Cutting out

I own a pair of BEOVOX MS 150's. I recapped their internal boards and reformed the surrounds a few years back, and have enjoyed good performance. However the past few months I've had a worsening issue with one speaker (I switched the outputs to make sure it was the speaker). The sound will...
  2. Aerochrome

Technics SL-5 Rubber mat (with index holes) is turning to goo, replacements?

Hello, I have an SL-5 of which the rubber mat is turning back into oil, since it has special holes for pins to check record size I was wondering if anyone here had a better solution than just getting a generic mat.
  3. Aerochrome

Manual for a Sony VT-M5 "Audioscope TV Tuner"

I managed to get my hands on a beautiful old Sony TV tuner that I am using for its side by side audio waveform display. However it was a "prosumer" unit and I can't find any manuals for it online. I know some people on here have massive binders of manuals of obscure equipment and I was...
  4. Aerochrome

Sony Flamingo PS-F9 Speed Issues [Tearing my hair out here]

I recently acquired a PS-F9 Flamingo, and am having difficulty with a speed issue. The speed (on both 33 and 45 rpm) flutters (not wow, flutter (yes i know wow and flutter are tape terms)) like a belt driven turntable that needs new belts. It is of course direct drive, but that's how I would...
  5. Aerochrome

Yamaha CA-2000 (CA-2010) Popping in one channel issue (protection Triggering)

I recently acquired a Yamaha CA-2000 (the Japanese version of the CA-2010), and got it setup at the center of my system running on a step-down power transformer to safely use it here in the United States. It was running beautifully for a few minutes of testing so I left it on while I went to...
  6. Aerochrome

Grappling with Opportunity Cost with a Yamaha CA-2000 upgrade over a Kenwood Eleven III

I recently scored a Yamaha CA-2000 (the Japanese version of the CA-2010), and it works perfectly and is in excellent cosmetic condition. I am left with the choice of either replacing my Kenwood Eleven III with it, or selling it for a considerable profit. The opportunity cost of the upgrade...
  7. Aerochrome

Pioneer PL-570 Alternatives

I'm in the mood to upgrade from my Kenwood KD-5066, and have a short list of requirements: Wood Aesthetics Quartz Lock Auto Return (I prefer Full Auto, but this works) I found the PL-570 to satisfy these but current prices are out of control on eBay. Before I spend a few months waiting for a...
  8. Aerochrome

All lights on Sony El-7 (Elcaset) went out

All the lights on my EL-7 have gone out at once, resetting the unit does not help and the bulbs look fine. Even the small ones like the dolby and record timer light won't come on. Any ideas for a common cause to lighting issues like this?
  9. Aerochrome

Recone or replace B & O MS 150 8" Midrange

The mid range woofer on one of my MS 150's is giving a distorted, muddy sound. (Vague and Uninformative, but I'm not good at describing sound. I reformed the speakers a while back, and noticed the issue today but it is of course possible it took until now to notice it. I had heard something...
  10. Aerochrome

Sony SL-2000 Betamax (bear with me here) player not working with PCM adapter...

Hi, I recently started trying to reverse engineer a VMC-110c, a cable that terminated in a large multipin connector for the SL-2000, and two composite video leads for the PCM-F1. However, that cable was almost never kept with the unit and they are now unobtainable. Luckily the TT-2000 timer...
  11. Aerochrome

6.3V .07A Axial Bulb source

I put a 6.3V .1A bulb in my elcaset deck after the bulb burned out, and it was bright enough that I'm worried about long term damage. I did some more searching and found a bulb that matches the 6.3V .07A listed in the manual. (fuse bulbs of this size are no longer manufactured, they are thinner...
  12. Aerochrome

Sourcing slim (4.5mm⌀) fuse lamp for Sony tape deck

I have two sony tape decks (EL-7 and TC-K7II) and they have slimmer bulbs than the standard 1/4" bulbs. They appear to be exactly 11/64" or about 4.55mm in diameter.
  13. Aerochrome

Adding a line out to my Muntz HW-1A 4 track deck.

I recently acquired a Muntz HW-1A 4 track deck, and want to hook it into my existing Hifi rig. To accomplish this I want to add a line out to the unit. Below is a schematic of the unit, would I be able to "tap in" the rca jacks to the input lead for the Volume pots?
  14. Aerochrome

Parting out Surveyor Program NASA/JPL Equipment

I am in the midst of contacting JPL and Goldstone to see if they want the equipment for display purchases, but was looking for further advice from here because of its high amount of vacuum tubes. I have in my possession a pair of rack equipment with JPL inventory stickers that I believe is from...
  15. Aerochrome

Possible causes for loss of high frequencies?

I'm currently working on a Pioneer Hipac tape player, and have almost no high frequency sounds being reproduced. Tapes sound fine in another player, speed checks out, adjusted head position, and even bypassed the poweramp to get the line level from the headamp chip (A Mitsubishi M5111, if you...
  16. Aerochrome

Anyone have Datasheets for 1970s Mitsubishi chips? (M5111)

I have been searching for several hours but have not been successful in locating a datasheet for the M5111 inside this Hipac tape deck. I spoke with a few acquaintances and we think it is an earlier version of the M51162 but can not be sure.
  17. Aerochrome

Walnut Enclosure for HiPac Car Stereo

I have a Pioneer HIpac car tape player that I want to put on a shelf with the rest of my hifi gear, and am looking for an enclosure to put it in. The player itself (minus the depth that I intend to protrude slightly from the front) is 6.5 inches deep, 4.25 inches high, and 2.25 inches high. I...
  18. Aerochrome

Replacement for Toshiba 2SD235

I need a modern equivalent for the Toshiba 2SD235 for a Pioneer HIpac player I am restoring, and digikey couldn't recommend any specific models. Can anyone recommend a modern equivalent?
  19. Aerochrome

A Stereo->Mono cable that won't short the whole system to mono?

I'm not sure if I am asking this question correctly. I have a 1950s wire recorder that I recently fixed, and have connected to my hifi setup using RCA jacks I installed on the rear of the unit. Since the device is mono only, it only has one RCA jack for input. When I used a Stereo->Mono RCA...
  20. Aerochrome

Should I trust a 31 year old chatroom message or modern internet guide while upgrading my PL 1000?

I recently repaired my Phase Linear 1000 noise reduction unit, and a very yellowed piece of paper slid out of the manual, and turned out to be a printout of a message on VMS (system identified by a friend, may be incorrect) sent over 30 years ago I checked, and the unit has not had these...
  21. Aerochrome

Phase Linear model 1000 RCA jacks cracked

I have an original Phase Linear Model 1000, but the black plastic shrouds that hold the RCA jacks in place (they physically hold the outer part of the jack in place) have begun to snap. Does anyone have a recommendation for a repair route? I was thinking of a modern RCA jack solution.
  22. Aerochrome

Tracking down a Ground Hum in my Wire Recorder

You may have noticed a thread or two related to my ongoing rebuild of a Webster Chicago 78-1 Wire Recorder. I have completed the recap and installed modern rectifier diodes, and tested the unit. The record and playback functions are both operational, but when set to playback there is a very...
  23. Aerochrome

Is 470,000 Mohms a resonable figure for a tube unit? or is this a typo?

As seem in the below schematic, R2 is listed as a 470,000 Megaohm capacitor. Is this a reasonable figure for a tube unit like this? I suspect it may be a typo. Below is a photo of the resistor it is replacing, dead center. The banding on this capacitor (Y,V,Y,S) suggests 470,000 ohms.
  24. Aerochrome

Bizarre Mystery Circuit added into Wire Recorder

I recently made a thread about capacitors in my wire recorder, before realizing that there was a tube/capacitor package that was not on any of the schematics. [Please note that there are four tubes in the upper left hand corner here, making a total of six] It seems entirely home made, and is...
  25. Aerochrome

Film Vs Ceramic Capacitors for Tube Unit (Film in AC application?)

I'm recapping (and due to age replacing the resistors too) a Webster Chicago 78-1 Wire Recorder, and am wondering if I can use Film Capacitors in in instead of Ceramic Caps. Most of the film caps on digikey are rated for DC only, so I am wondering if it would be wrong to use them in a Tube unit...
Back
Top Bottom