Search results

1. master_fo

Tonearm bearing cones, black - polishable ?

Hi, I am about to give another flush to my Empire 990 tonearm bearings. This time I am thinking of also polishing the bearing cones. On this tonearm, unlike the others I have seen, the main steel bar with the cones is black, not shiny as usual. Can I polish this type of steel ?
  2. master_fo

Have you even opened or replaced Empire 598/990 tonearm's magnetic auto-lift ?

Hi, magnetic auto-lift on my Empire 990 tonearm has a defect - magnet inside is too low, a few mm lower than the top of the opening. So the arm does not get lifted quite as high as it should, when it get caught. Because of that, my range of VTA is limited - I can't really set the arm parallel to...
  3. master_fo

Empire 598/698 NOS replacement springs - different steel?

Hi, I recently got Empire 598/698 NOS replacement springs. I asked here previously and people say original ones do not get loose over time anyway. It does seems so. However, I have noticed those replacement springs are a bit different from mine - they are black while mine are, well, steel...
  4. master_fo

Empire 598/698 suspension: vibration feedback update

Hi, I have posted a long thread recently about my quest to eliminate acoustic feedback between my new subwoofer and Empire 598: https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/vibration-analysis-bl404-rack-empire-598-turntable.975735/#post-15167454 I am happy to announce that I finally found...
  5. master_fo

Eliminating Empire 598 motor air noise

Hi, we all know Papst motors are great, but do produce audible hiss. I was lucky to buy a NOS 698 motor which has no vibration - still its rotor moving air can be audible from 2-3 meters away in a quiet room. Standard resonant Empire wood plinth enclosure, open from below, actually amplifies...
  6. master_fo

Vibration Analysis: BL404 rack, Empire 598 turntable

Here, I have conducted a series of experiments using an iPhone App called 'Vibration Analysis'. Here is the pic of setup and vibration spectrum graphs observed at the floor, 3rd shelf, top shelf loaded and unloaded, and adding another same MDF shelf on top, making a sandwich with two layers of...
  7. master_fo

Audio rack reinforcement?

Hi, I have standard VTI BL404 rack and would like to make it more sturdy against footfalls. Are there any VTI BL404 owners out there with Wire Net for BL404 actually being screwed on to the back of BL404 shelves ? There are 2 threaded holes on the back of each metal shelf but it looks the Wire...
  8. master_fo

MDF Sandwich - CDL recipes for suspended TT shelf isolation?

Hi, I am a happy owner of Empire 598. Last week I also became happy owner of Rythmik F-12GSE sub. That thing is fantastic and has real infrasonic capability! Which, unfortunately, leads to feedback issues on lower volumes than I used to have with Paradigm sub (where I could cut low end with...
  9. master_fo

Emerald Physics 4.7 makeover

Here, sharing my positive experience modifying Emerald Physics EP4.7 speakers! Compression drivers: removed bug screens (not needed because of dust caps). Measurable improvement in 10-20K distortion (2-3 dB less), more 'silky' sound, does not really increase SPL. Dynamat on the back. Woofers...
  10. master_fo

Empire 598 - do suspension springs ever need replacement ?

Hello Empire lovers! I recently bought NOS replacement springs just in case. Was not actually able to install them yet - the locking washers require stronger (and longer) tool that regular one I have. I compared the new springs stiffness with original ones though - and I felt no difference by...
  11. master_fo

Custom 12" full-range speaker grills ?

Anyone knows a place selling 12" grills suitable for hi-end full-range drivers ? I am looking for wire mesh much more transparent than in the grills commonly sold, preferably brass/gold color - or fabric on the standard round ring.
  12. master_fo

Using ASC Tube SuperTraps behind OB speakers ?

Hi there, I've been using ASC Tube SuperTraps (12", with reflective front) behind my KEF Cantatas (two tubes at about 1/4-1/3 on the front wall) with great success on improving the soundstage. Now that I got my first OB speakers (Emerald Physics EP 4.7), I have found removing absorption...
  13. master_fo

Emerald Physics 4.7 passive crossovers - known mods/fixes ?

Hi there, I just got my first OB speakers, Emerald Physics EP 4.7. Boy, that's real 'think different' ... or rather - out of the box :) Mine did come with DSP 2.4 module, programmed for single-amp bass extension - I don't plan to use it with my vinyl/tube setup. I do want to accomplish similar...
  14. master_fo

Where to get correct size belt for Empire 580 (DB-508) ?

Hi, I am having difficulties finding proper new belt for my Empire 598. The one it came with made it run a bit faster. I have bought first replacement "FBM DB-508 Empire DB-508 Flat Belt, Medium" from Turntable Needles - it sorta had correct speed, but was so uneven even on sight and on touch it...
  15. master_fo

Can someone help identifying those speakers?

16. master_fo

Empire 990 (598 table) tonearm damping?

Seeking input from those who did rewire/disassemble Empire 990 tonearm tube - would you share your opinion if there is safe method to access inside the tube to add anti-resonance filling like balsa wood strips? The tonearm does feel rather damped as it is - please share your experience if...
  17. master_fo

Yamaha CR-2040 vs. tube power amp for KEF Cantata speakers?

This may be a blasphemy post in this forum - but, still - did anyone have experience comparing KEF Cantata speakers driven by Yamaha CR-2040 vs. a decent tube power amp? Does it even make any sense to try tubes with them? CR-2040 does it beautifully...
  18. master_fo

Yamaha CR-2040: disable tuner?

Is there a quick instruction how to completely power off tuner on CR-2040? I never use it and I suspect its circuitry does produce interfering EMI that also eats power even when the input selector is not in 'Tuner' position.
  19. master_fo

Yamaha CR-2040 as power amp?

I recently acquired a clone of EAR-843P phono preamp with very high variable gain - so I thought, I should probably feed it directly into the power section of my Yamaha CR-2040. Do you think it makes any sense ? Unfortinately - unlike CR-1020 etc - it does not have direct input for that. But it...
  20. master_fo

Empire 990 tonearm anti-skate - did they engineer it backwards?

Hi, I recently acquired Empire 598 III and I did open the upper lid to check (because I had some anti-skate at position 0) - what I have found is that little tension string that implements the anti-skate was indeed a bit sprung at 0. Not a problem - I gently pulled it to loose a bit...
  21. master_fo

CR-2040 : recap experiences ?

I am tempted to recap at least the phono stage of CR2040 - there seem to be lot of caps in the signal path. When I recapped my KEF Cantata speakers, all caps were off by at least 15%, and smallest were off up to 300%. CR-2040 probably runs hotter than the speaker crossover, so I would definitely...
Back
Top Bottom