Search results

1. jack_shite

Need help: McIntosh XR3, DLK 1 1/2, or?

Hi all, Looking at speaker recommendations. My listening room is roughly 11x13.5ft. Current setup is Pioneer SX-850 into Klipsch RF-15 speakers approx 7 feet apart, slightly toed in, 5.5 feet from listening position. Not ideal, but what I have to deal with given speaker placement from back wall...
  2. jack_shite

What non-audio hobbies/interests do you have?

Just got into audio after years of waiting for my own place. Other than slowly rebuilding my music library, I play guitar, build/rebuild guitars, write, record and play music. Also just got back into retro BMX bikes, but need to ride more for exercise. I have been into vintage and some new...
  3. jack_shite

You may only keep one guitar...

Yeah, my camera pic under shop floodlight doesn't do it justice. It looks 'right'. The sunburst looks like a friend's real one. His has worn differently due to nitro lacquer aging as opposed to poly, but mine has enough dings and character to make me happy.
  4. jack_shite

Right now it's apart for a little maintenance... This pic is from late last year. The body is MIJ, with perfect wear and yellowing to the binding, but no crazing or chips to the clear. I swapped a MIM neck that had a really nice feel, re-radiused to 9.5", new nut, and frets done by Mark Balash...
  5. 20161112_130800

20161112_130800

6. 20161112_132110

20161112_132110

7. Gear

Gear

8. jack_shite

Tinnitus

I have tinnitus. I work in a metal shop, and wear earplugs all day, every day. My sensitivity is in the frequencies I love..upper mids where vocal, snare, electric guitar all live. Limiting exposure to anything loud but music helps, but even then, I'm limited timewise before fatigue sets in...
  9. jack_shite

A friend of a friend gave me an hour by myself in his studio with his '59 Burst. I've owned several vintage guitars of note ('54 LP Junior, 1st 500 made), '60 LP Junior, 60's SG's, '63 Strat, '68 LP Custom, etc, etc... My mid-80's MIJ Fender Telecaster Custom mutt stands up with the best I've...
  10. jack_shite

Most Expensive Record / CD / Cassette That You Own (According to Discogs)

I sold my entire vinyl collection around 10 years ago to a friend for a good chunk of change, to offset bills when the band I was in was doing a lot of touring (and therefore, not much work for me at home). I sold him everything for around 1/3 of what it was worth. Tons of rare punk and metal...
  11. jack_shite

What $600 got me

Thanks GDM! The towers were a gift from my pal. Ideally, I'd like a set of Heresy III's, or even HPM100's, but that's not going to happen financially for a while. Kitchen remodel and new appliances are first priority. I also have a pair of TAD 803's, but they are nearly unlistenable compared to...
  12. jack_shite

Great modern power-pop...

Yeah, his earlier career was straight country...definitely has some twang in him.
  13. jack_shite

Great modern power-pop...

This makes me pretty happy on a half-decent stereo..even better on headphones. I get a Marshall Crenshaw/Buddy Holly vibe. I dig it!
  14. jack_shite

Any James Mc Murtry fans out there?

Great guitarist, great band, devastating songwriter. I lived in Austin for 6 years, neighborhood right behind the Continental Club, 5 minute walk from my place. Saw him several times. Really good stuff.
  15. jack_shite

Why do people have so many mixed views about Kiss?

I was 5 in 1977, and a kid in my neighborhood started collecting KISS cards. He showed them to me, and I was hooked. I liked the Abbott & Costello monster movies, Vincent Price, comic books, science fiction toys, etc., so it seemed cool and interesting along the same lines. I would bug my Mom...
  16. jack_shite

What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Blood, Sweat & Tears radio on Pandora.
  17. jack_shite

What $600 got me

Thank you Mike! Currently having my mind blown by 180g pressing of Led Zep I. GF is freaking out, she totally gets it. I think I sense the beginning of competing vinyl collections.
  18. jack_shite

What $600 got me

Thank you! I am so grateful to my friend for helping get the ball rolling, and so happy to hear music sound big and beautiful again, not harsh and small.
  19. jack_shite

Hello from Metro Detroit

I'm in Seminole Hills, off Voorheis between Telegraph and Orchard Lake... practically neighbors.
  20. jack_shite

Hello from Metro Detroit

I went to high school in Troy, lived in Austin, TX for 6 years before moving back a few years ago. Small world!
  21. jack_shite

What $600 got me

The location is temporary, pending some remodeling in part of our new (old) house, but boy does this sound good! Pioneer SX-850, completely gone-through and serviced. $350 total Pioneer PL-516, completely serviced and restored. $230 total Klipsch RF-15's, semi-permanent loan from best pal...
  22. 20170730_091023

20170730_091023

23. 20170730_091009

20170730_091009

24. 20170729_153458

20170729_153458

25. 20170729_153425

20170729_153425

Back
Top Bottom