Search results

1. mswer

EPI A70...bit disappointing

Changing the ferrofluid is a very interesting suggestion. I don't know if these are also ferrofluid cooled, but I'll dig around and see if I can find out. I also didn't really know it was possible to change it. Did you end up finding a good source for ferrofluid? Of course, understood. I'm not...
  2. mswer

EPI A70...bit disappointing

Generally have really liked the EPI speakers I've heard. Had and liked a pair of M100s I parted with some time ago, but still use a set of M180s, which is the double-driver version of the M100. Very solid speaker. I'm helping a friend put together his first system that wasn't "random discards...
  3. mswer

How do I rackmount these tape decks? Kaba RTDS tape duplication system

Yeah...the fact that it doesn't divide evenly into rack units was part of my confusion, but I just checked the bottom of one of the decks, the long piece does have matching screws along the bottom, and that extends it perfectly to 5.25" or 3U. I'm pretty sure they were meant for rackmounting — I...
  4. mswer

Heh, sorry, you're right. Forgot some key info. I have a set of 2 bunny ear brackets for each deck, and 1 long bracket per deck. Indeed there are not screw holes along the top. I will flip one tomorrow and check the bottom. Yes, the rack ear brackets do line up with screws on the sides near the...
  5. mswer

Evening all I have what feels like a bit of a dumb question but here it goes anyway :D I have a small tape duplication system made by Kaba that I'm happy with and would like to get the set up in a proper home, instead of the moving the stack of decks around to different random pieces of...
  6. mswer

Carver TX-11 — cutting out, strange behavior

That's great news, thanks for the suggestion. It's funny you mention Faderlube, Bill had recommended TheCarverSite and I just got my account confirmed over there the other day and was reading this thread about using Faderlube, instead of/in addition to Deoxit D5, which is always what I use...
  7. mswer

Thanks. I remember that name now that you mention it — I'll take a look. Got it. I haven't popped it open in a while, I'll open it up and take a look.
  8. mswer

Hi all- I have a Carver TX-11 that I've been using and enjoying for some years, but recently it started doing this weird thing where it will drop the signal and just play static, and the controls just stop responding. If you press any of the preset buttons, they light up for a moment but the...
  9. mswer

How to remove a Fisher 300 from its cabinet

Thanks for the help all. Ae expected, I was able to get the amp out of the cabinet without any trouble once the faceplate was removed. It's now in the shop to be fully serviced. Excited to get this beaut back in good working condition.
  10. mswer

Harmon Kardon A401 amp - missing fuses?

Well...I took a risk and powered it up. Seems like my memory was incorrect — there's no output on either speaker out, on any of the inputs. I can't for the life of me find a 1/4" adapter to try the headphone out, but probably wouldn't have mattered. I don't have a DBT and since this has been...
  11. mswer

Harmon Kardon A401 amp - missing fuses?

It's another new year and I'm finally forcing myself to go through the stacks of stereo gear all over my apt :confused: Found this very nice looking HK A401 that I can find in my email I bought on eBay in 2017. I believe it was listed as powers on, working condition unknown, but by now the...
  12. mswer

haha...so it was missing something obvious after all :rflmao: makes sense, i will post updates. thanks all! @kappclark thanks for pic, spoons with blue tape i likely would not have thought of. yeah, friend is definitely considering that. i haven't looked around yet but if folks have a...
  13. mswer

Hey AK, reviving my long dormant account to try to help a friend with a fun vintage audio project. long story short, my friend's sister recently bought a house where the previous owners had not been living in for a number of years, with many of their belongings being left there. Among the...
  14. mswer

Re-cap Burhoe Crimsons and replace surrounds

I'll try this for a challenge some day if I ever get good enough at soldering :D:bowdown: Nice, thanks for the backplate removal tips. Do you happen to have a rec'd tutorial for changing binding posts? These screw terminals are the worst. Hmm. Hard to find anything conclusive on the web/the...
  15. mswer

Re-cap Burhoe Crimsons and replace surrounds

Hey AK I have a pair of Burhoe Crimsons and absolutely love 'em in my desktop listening system, but the condition of the surrounds is pretty degraded. Considering the bass performance I get in their current state, I can only imagine how they'll sound when they're back to 100%. I got a set of...
  16. mswer

Baby Advents with MCM poly cone replacement woofer - acceptable?

Hah, ended up finding a pair of Minimus 7s locally, going with those instead. Smaller which she prefers, and not some franken-Advent, which I feel better about endorsing. In fact I'm listening on re-capped Minimus 7s right now :music: Thanks for your thoughts!
  17. mswer

1) Agreed, totally. Don't mean this in a dismissive way, but that's a given. Frankly I think "working speakers" is going to be satisfactory as far as she's concerned, but I feel a likely undue amount of responsibility to have her end up with something decent. 2) That was kind of what I was...
  18. mswer

Hello there, I'm helping a friend put together a little turntable system for her apt and she wants compact, manageable speakers and doesn't really have the patience for a drawn out search process on Craigslist, and so on. She just wants something that looks decent, isn't too big, and works...
  19. mswer

Noise/static on re-capped Realistic Minimus 7

I didn't re-do the surrounds. I suppose that could be, but it seems odd that it would start happening suddenly, and only immediately after the re-cap. I'll try your trick and see what result I get though. Maybe by rooting around a bit to make space for the much larger cap I re-positioned some...
  20. mswer

Noise/static on re-capped Realistic Minimus 7

I recently re-capped my Minimus 7s following along with this thread http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=91314 and the difference is surprising! I'm very happy with the results. However, on one of the speakers, there seems to be some static or rattling at higher volumes. I'm pretty...
  21. mswer

Lost a channel on Toshiba SC-335 amp

To update for anyone running across this thread in the future, the 250V 4A fuse was the ticket. The right channel is back and the amp is working perfectly again. Thanks for your assistance!
  22. mswer

Perfect, I hate to ship things unnecessarily, but I wasn't sure the extent to which I'd find the right fuses in-store. I'll pop into the RS by my office tomorrow.
  23. mswer

Ah, right you are. It says "250V 4A." There's no T. So would this be the right part? http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=071-663 And if so, to your final comment: there are at least 3 fuses (I say 'at least' because I haven't examined the part of the board that's covered...
  24. mswer

Looks like it's a blown fuse (the right-most, I marked it on the attached image). I...have no idea what I'm even looking at on that schematic. How do I determine what replacement fuse I need? Thanks for the help so far!
  25. mswer

chessman - yeah, i've heard less steller reviews of the mkII gear, which is a shame, because i dig the look. i've been really happy with the earlier set though. avionic, i haven't. that will be my next step — thanks!
Back
Top Bottom