Search results

1. Timberwolf53

Question on Zenith 10S464

Here’s a schematic if that helps. I admit, reading these is definitely NOT my strong suit. Neither is taking stuff apart and changing it. Can you tell from the drawing which is pos and which is neg? Will I hurt anything if I hook it up backwards?
  2. Timberwolf53

Question on Zenith 10S464

I have a Zenith floor radio, model 10S464. It has a tube amplifier that has an auxiliary input marked “TELEVISION”. There are two 3/32”(2.5 mm) jacks for the input. My question is, why are there two of them? Television didn’t even exist as a consumer product yet in 1940, and I’m sure the ones...
  3. Timberwolf53

My Home Made Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

I didn’t want to pay $500+ for an ultrasonic cleaner, so I decided to build my own. Parts added up to around $150. I built it last winter, and have now cleaned my entire record collection with it, so I think I have a pretty good handle on how it works. This one will clean 3 at a time, but larger...
  4. Timberwolf53

What's your latest audio purchase?

A couple of months ago, I saw a "for parts of repair" Technics SL-1500 (original one, not the new one) on Ebay for $85. I always wanted one, so what the heck. For that amount of money I wasn't expecting much, but it showed up in mint - condition. There is on small scratch on the right side...
  5. Timberwolf53

Question about upgrading turntable

Wow, the sl1200 mk2 is that good compared to the more expensive decks. That's impressive because those are very reasonably priced. I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading over what I have though. Do you think it would make a noticeable difference? I will definitely give the Vessel a try. I...
  6. Timberwolf53

Question about upgrading turntable

I have been thinking about upgrading my turntable. I will have approximately $1000 to spend. I currently have a Technics SL-1500 with a Denon DL-301 MKII cartridge & a Denon AU 320 SUT, and a Dual 721 with a Shure M97EX with an LP Gear ViVid Line Stylus. I see lots of stuff out there for...
  7. Timberwolf53

Technics SL-1500 unstable speed

Wow, sounds like I got lucky. I just bought one off of Ebay for $85 because it looked great, but was listed as parts/repair due to speed problem. I cleaned all 4 speed pots and the selector, dialed it in at 33 and 45 and both are dead still. I bought it planning to flip it, but this thing...
  8. Timberwolf53

Do you keep your speaker grilles off?

My main speakers are Vandersteen Model 3's so it's quite a project to remove and replace them, so No.
  9. Timberwolf53

For Old Timers - Your Record Cleaning Method?

Currently, I use a Spin Clean whenever I buy a new record, new or used. Then every time I play one, I use the Audio Technica AT 6012 record brush with 3-4 drops of cleaning fluid. I've been using the AT cleaner since the 1980's. I'm in the process of gathering all the parts I need to build an...
  10. Timberwolf53

What speakers would "go" with a Realistic STA-2100D?

I had a pair of T-120s that sat in my garage with serious foam rot for almost 20 years. I re-foamed them, cleaned them up, and hooked them up to a system I built for my son's room, and I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised how good they sounded. They look great with the walnut veneer...
  11. Timberwolf53

Looks like a scam...

Actually, it's not too bad, and they respond quickly. Recently I was shopping for a preamp, so I was on Ebay quite a bit. The scams pop up all the time. They hijack accounts with 100% feedback, and lots of transactions. They're always 24 hour auctions, lead you to a different website to pay...
  12. Timberwolf53

Yamaha C2 Amp and ??? pre-amp

The c2, or one of it's variations is the obvious choice. You got their top amplifier, you might as well go for their top control amp too. The C4 and C6 are nice units too. In fact, I have a C6 in my main system right now and it sounds really good. I am in the process of replacing it with a...
  13. Timberwolf53

Preamp Recommendation Please

Well, I finally found one. I don't move fast on electronics purchases, and wanted to get something I would want to keep for a long time. I decided I wanted Mac equipment to match my amp. I ended up with a C35. I bought it on Ebay, but the seller has 100% feedback, and it just had a tune up...
  14. Timberwolf53

Favorite Record Label Designs

Some of my favorites:
  15. Timberwolf53

Gave myself an impromptu hearing test. It's not good

I'm 51, and I drop off at 12,500, which I am told is perfectly normal. I use hearing protection now, but for the first 40 years of my life using chainsaws, power tools, leaf blowers, lawn mowers, log splitters, etc, listening to my car stereo perpetually turned up to 11, and attending well over...
  16. Timberwolf53

Need some really big high power speakers

Peavy SP4's. They'll blow your windows out.
  17. Timberwolf53

I have Bang & Olufsen Beovox S75, which speakers do I get to upgrade?

I quite agree. The Beovox M150's pictured in my Avatar have proven to be extremely capable speakers. I have since replaced them as my main speakers because they are just too small for my large listening room, but I have yet to be able to bring myself to sell them. I originally bought them on...
  18. Timberwolf53

I have Bang & Olufsen Beovox S75, which speakers do I get to upgrade?

I guess my first question to you would be: if you don’t like the sound, why do you keep buying them?
  19. Timberwolf53

Scary stuff happened today, Optimus Pro LX511!!

I have the LX4's and think they sound pretty darn good for what they are. I'm not familiar with LX511. Is that a variation on the LX5? Anyway, here is a stereophile article on the LX5 with some modification ideas. https://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/695ratshack/index.html
  20. Timberwolf53

Show us your cartridges and/or tonearms!

Denon DL 301 mounted on my Dual 721. The green record is Miles Davis and Milt Jackson - Bags Groove.
  21. Timberwolf53

Any interest I had in "Grand Tour" has ended.

If you like TGT because it has cars, hijinks, and comedy, you should check out Roadkill on Youtube. It's two editors from Hot Rod magazine, David Freiburger, and Mike Finnegan, taking old junky cars and doing crazy stuff with them. TGT and this are my two favorite shows.
  22. Timberwolf53

Any interest I had in "Grand Tour" has ended.

So, it was OK that they "killed" a different celebrity every episode in Season 1, Blew Hammond up on the SHITT refuling segment, and launched Captain Slow off a cliff in his Jaaaaaaaaaaaaag. But showing a few obviously fake dead sheep was too much for you. Uh, OK.
  23. Timberwolf53

Godless, The Most Brutal Western I Have Ever Seen: Netflix

You should watch Bone Tomahawk. Wow, that's a dark one.
  24. Timberwolf53

Godless, The Most Brutal Western I Have Ever Seen: Netflix

Did you actually watch the series? It explains why there are no men (I'm not going to explain for spoiler reasons), and the guys on the stage are not there to marry them, they are potential investors to help them re-open the mine. I thought the end gunfight scene was very creative. I've never...
  25. Timberwolf53

Atomic blonde

Well, you get to see Charlize Theron naked several times, so that adds a couple points right off the bat. I thought it was a good action flick, but don't expect any more. It's entertaining if you suspend belief, and just sit back and enjoy the great fight scenes, and the previously mentioned...
Back
Top Bottom