Search results

1. cabby

Dumb dac question

I normally cast Qobuz to my Cca which feeds to an external dac. Last night out of boredom I casted to my television. This is connected to my avr >separate amp > to speakers. Does this mean I’m using my avr dac? If so, does hdmi cable pass audio in hi res? Finally, is there a way to cast to...
  2. cabby

Email alerts from AK

How do I stop getting Email alerts from AK? I've un-clicked all boxes that says " and receive email alerts", yet continue to get them in my inbox ( likes or new post on watched threads ect. ).
  3. cabby

Technics SL1360 part mystery

Hi all. Given extra time being quarantined I conquered my fear and opened up my SL1360 for some maintenance. Three issues going in were 1. Tone arm dropping like it’s hot 2. Deoxit on pitch controls 3. Auto start function did not work. Regardless of the record size selection, the arm swung...
  4. cabby

MCS 6700 damping

Hi all. Anybody know which method the damping fluid is applied on the MCS 6700? Method A of Technics service bulletin ?? This is a rebadged SL-1900/1950, but I've discovered that assembly is a bit different from the 1900 ( I tried to follow a youtube video of SL-1900 repair but tone arm...
  5. cabby

Needle “riding low”

That is a AT12Xe. When playing records the cartridge body is very close to the record as the cantilever appears to be to not angled enough. Could it be that the cantilever assembly is damaged? It has slam down on to the record several times over the past year as my Technics tt cueing lever...
  6. cabby

New to me cartridges

' I’ve acquired a Pioneer Pl 516 and it came with 3 cartridges. Which one of these is worth getting a new stylus for? I read the ma 2002 one is now defunct so it would be at70 vs ff15xemkii. Thanks.
  7. cabby

2.1 system sound mode on AVR

I have a 2.1 system in my living room and have always keep the sound mode in " stereo " mode. Is there any advantage ( or disadvantage ) to set the sound mode to DOLBY or DTS if source permits?
  8. cabby

Pfanstiehl stylus for Shure

I was under the impression that Pfanstiehl was an aftermarket stylus manufacturer. But the original Shure N93E stylus comes in a Pfanstiehl box...
  9. cabby

replacing RCA cable

I have a Technics SL1360 and the right channel is cutting off intermittently. Playing with the RCA jack at the preamp connection brings back the sound but sometimes cuts off again. I might be looking at replacing the RCA cable for this unit. Question is can any RCA cable be used or is there a...
  10. cabby

LFE

Hi all, I'm thinking about hooking up a sub to my new to me Marantz AVR. I'm using this as my 2.0 or 2.1 setup in the living room ( already have 5.1 system in my den set up eons ago). Manual states that when indicating I'm using a sub on the setup, it will give me a choice between LFE vs...
  11. cabby

Ipad / Airport Express

I'm an Apple noob and need some assistance. My wife has an Ipad ( about 2 years old ) that she doesn't use anymore, so I took it over. I would like to listen to Hi-Res music ( Qobuz ) using the Ipad and ultimately feeding to my Topping D30 wirelessly. How do I achieve this? I believe the...
  12. cabby

Another dummy load question from a dummy

I am a Nikko Alpha 220 owner and the service manual calls for 8 ohms / 250 Watt dummy load resistor for idle current adjustment. My question is does the resistor have to be exactly 250W or is there some wiggle room ? Thanks. Cabby
  13. cabby

? Negative Idle current on Yamaha M-50 ?

I am seeking some assistance on making adjustments on my M-50. Following the service manual, to measure/adjust idle current, the (+) lead goes to "TPO" and (-) lead goes to "TPE ". With this connection I'm measuring about - 45mV on each channel. A negative value ?? Is there something...
  14. cabby

Yamaha C-50 preamp adjustment

Hi all. In the service manual, one of the adjustment involves using the PRE-OUT jacks as the test points using the voltmeter. What exactly am I touching the L / R jacks with using the voltmeter ?? There are adjustments made for each channel, just not clear on using the jacks as test points...
  15. cabby

DCM TF600

These were so cheap I couldn't pass them up. I've had good luck with my cx17 and time window 1a and always wanted a time frame. These have two tweeters on the BACK of the speaker. On one of the speaker, neither of them produce sound. Coincidence or a deeper problem? Bad cap? Suggestions...
  16. cabby

Kenwood KR3400 Left Channel hum

Hi all, I got a hold of this Kenwood on the cheap, but there is an obnoxious left channel hum that occurs as soon as the speakers are hooked up without any input. It still produces sound from inputs/tuner but the hum is a constant. This is what I know so far. The " control unit/amp " board...
  17. cabby

Multi record spindle

Hi all. I have a MCS 6700 equipped with the long multi play spindle with the three fingers that protrude out. I don't see myself using this feature at all. Where can I find a regular single play spindle that will fit this tt? Is it safe to manually fold the fingers in to insert a record if I...
  18. cabby

noob cart replacement question

Hi all. When replacing a cart ( or the cart/headshell combo for that matter ), is it advised that the the new cart is adjusted so that the stylus is in contact with the exact same points on the platter/record as the original stylus ? In other words, does the distance from the end of tone arm...
  19. cabby

connecting sub to amp/preamp setup

Hi all. How do you connect a subwoofer when using separate amp / preamp setup. I saw one preamp ( NAD I think ) that had a sub-out which doesn't make sense to me since the preamp is not powering anything....thx for the help to a noob.
  20. cabby

Feet for tower speakers

Hi all. I picked up a pair of floor standing speakers ( mirage omni 260 ) recently. The guy I bought from unfortunately did not have the original feet/base that attached to the bottom of the speakers. I have wood flooring. Is it advised that I put something on the bottom? Spikes vs rubber...
  21. cabby

Noob capacitor question

I'm getting ready to refoam a pair of old Acoustics Research speakers. While in there, I took a peak at the crossovers. It looks like the capacitor is soldered on directly to the mini circuit board. It doesn't have the two leads coming out on either side like commonly seen, but rather two...
  22. cabby

NAD 7240pe tuner issues

Few weeks ago I noticed the receiver would not keep station memory for more than a few hours. I would program the stations, come back next day or later that day, all stations erased. Not a big deal as I really don't use the radio that often. Now the tuner just gave out completely. Search...
Back
Top Bottom