Search results

1. G

Ignorance affords much opportunity for pleasant surprises - Thiel Model 03 loudspeake

Just attaching the original brochure and owners manual for the Thiel Model 03's for posterity
  2. G

Ignorance affords much opportunity for pleasant surprises - Thiel Model 03 loudspeake

I've been A/B'g the Thiel's vs my Kef Ref 2's through an Anthem AVM 20/MCA50. Everything I've heard about the Thiel's is spot on - very accurate, particularly in the mid/high end, and any flaws in recording/mastering are really exposed. I think you're right about placement - in a dedicated 2 ch...
  3. G

onwardjames : I got lucky with the Thiels - someone was moving and just didn't want to deal, they were on deck to be tossed in the dumpster. Glad I got them before-the cabinets are in fantastic shape, just a few minor scratches but to be expected from 30+ yr old speakers! It was my first refoam...
  4. G

Saved from the trash heap for $25 and some elbow grease!
  5. G

Goo Gone is the orange based one, it works well on sticker adhesives - not so good on this speaker adhesive. I went with acetone - even so, the glue was still amazingly persistent. So I hit it with acetone, more razor knife, more acetone, then sanded with 220 grit sandpaper and did a final wipe...
  6. G

Thx - this is the part that has taken the most time - a lot of scraping with a razor knife followed by two passes with alcohol on a rag and the remaining glue is persistent. I even hit it with GooGone and its not coming off easily. Luckily, according to the instructional video I watched, it...
  7. G

So after some more research and watching of you tube videos, it doesn't seem that involved and I've decided to take a crack at refoaming the drivers myself. Have removed as much of the foam and adhesive as possible and ordered a set of surrounds for $25. Will take special care to make sure the...
  8. G

Thanks for all the replies - I'm pretty handy, but I suspect my first try would be far from perfect. Great idea to ask and see if I can get it done it locally and cheaper. I'm in the metro CT/NY area if anyone has any suggestions - thx!
  9. G

Hello - I have the opportunity to save some Thiel Model 03's in black walnut from the dumpster (at no cost to me). The tweeters appear to be fine, but the woofers are in need of refoaming. I contacted Thiel who told me they no longer sell the drivers, but would be happy to refoam the woofers...
Back
Top Bottom