Search results

1. DangerBoy

Can you help me identify this 8" Klipsch subwoofer driver?

I have a 300W powered subwoofer that I accidentally blew the woofer on. I won't bother to explain how it happened but it was an accident and it ticked me off. I was going to replace it with a good used version of the same driver from eBay but then I came across a local Klipsch dealer selling...
  2. DangerBoy

Help! What's going on with this Panasonic Viera P65ZT60 Plasma?

I just recently put a deposit down on a Holy Grail 65" Panasonic ZT60 plasma that a guy was selling. He just called me to say he moved the TV downstairs and tried powering it up to verify it was still working and something strange happened. The thing powered up and he got the Studio Master Panel...
  3. DangerBoy

Budget 8" Powered Subwoofer Recommendations?

I recently picked up a Denon DM-41 mini system for my cabin. It's coming with the stock Denon speakers but I rather suspect I'll use my pair of modified PSB Image 2B speakers instead of the Denon speakers. The D-M41 is replacing a similar but older Panasonic mini system that I was using to...
  4. DangerBoy

Budget 8-inch Powered Subwoofer Kit Recommendations

I recently picked up a Denon DM-41 mini system for my cabin. It's coming with the stock Denon speakers but I rather suspect I'll use my pair of modified PSB Image 2B speakers instead of the Denon speakers. The D-M41 is replacing a similar but older Panasonic mini system that I was using to...
  5. DangerBoy

Anybody using high impedance headphones on an LG V40?

I have an LG V20 that doesn't work as a cell phone anymore but can still be used as a media streamer. My regular cell phone used to be an LG V35 until I lost it. Using their Quad DACs, both the V20 and V35 played at good volume into a pair of 600 ohm audiophile headphones that I like to use and...
  6. DangerBoy

Anyone ever use a non-Yamaha calibration mic on a Yamaha AVR?

I just picked up a good deal on a used 2018 Yamaha RX-V683 AV receiver. The seller had lost/misplaced the sound calibration microphone for it. The one for that machine is part no. WN649600. It's common to pretty much all Yammy RX-A and RX-V AVRs made in the last few years. I note that on this...
  7. DangerBoy

AVR Sound Calibration Mic Question

The old AVR that I had out at my cabin died and I'm on a tight budget these days so I replaced it with a second hand Yamaha RX-V683 that I got a pretty good deal on. The only problem was the guy didn't have the sound calibration microphone to give me so now I need one. Are those things brand...
  8. DangerBoy

Need help choosing between 3 Low-mid Range AV Receivers

At my cabin I've been running a 5.1 Surround system using an older Onkyo TX-NR609 AVR. That unit died due to the HDMI board defect so I had it repaired under Onkyo's extended warranty program. This summer, the unit died again - no sound from any input channel. Onkyo has a program that would...
  9. DangerBoy

DIY 3.5 mm headphone to male RCA jack cable advice needed

I'm building a 3.5 mm headphone jack to right and left male RCA jack cable and I could use some advice from people with experience and expertise in building good quality headphone cables. The cable I'll be using is Canare L-4E6S Star Quad shielded 4 wire microphone cable. It has 2 blue and 2...
  10. DangerBoy

Denon AVR-X1400H or Onkyo TX-NR747

I'm looking at potentially purchasing a new to me second hand AVR for my system. I want to get something that is Dolby Atmos and THX-X capable so I can take advantage of those technologies in the future but probably won't use them right now. For now, I'll just be using a standard 5.1 setup. I've...
  11. DangerBoy

Opinions sought BA: Classic Series II speakers vs Klipsch LE Reference Series

Over on the Home Theater & Video Forum I just posted a thread asking opinions on a possible upgrade to my home theater system and whether switching from the system I currently have to this other system I could get would be a good move or not. The thread is this one...
  12. DangerBoy

Would this AV Surround system be an upgrade?

I currently have an Onkyo TX-NR809 in for the HDMI board replacement. In the meantime, I started looking at a new entertainment center cabinet since my old one fell apart. I found one I like but it's not really deep enough to accomodate the Onkyo. That started me looking for a newer but second...
  13. DangerBoy

Center channel speaker placement - what should I do?

I just totally destroyed my cheap Ikea media center cabinet. Fortunately, it does not appear my TV or any AV equipment was damaged in the accident. I'm now looking at a new media stand and now have to decide where I can place the center channel speaker. This is the stand I'm looking at...
  14. DangerBoy

Is this an (Onkyo) HDMI Board Problem?

In my TV room I have a TX-NR809 AVR. It's been pretty reliable but is starting to act up but not in a way that follows the pattern of the typical dreaded HDMI board problem. According to many YouTube videos I've seen on the problem, when you power the AVR on and it warms up initially, you never...
  15. DangerBoy

Nice inexpensive experiment, great results

At my cabin I have a Panasonic SA-PMX9 micro stereo system that is a few years old. These systems were fairly good and fairly well reviewed at the time they came out (https://www.whathifi.com/panasonic/sc-pmx9db/review). I was never all that satisfied with the speakers though. They were a bit...
  16. DangerBoy

Need help quick, speaker surround gluing question

Hi everyone, I'm out at my cabin, a long ways from the nearest hardware store. I have a pair of PSB Image 2B speakers out here that have started to make loud rattling noises from the woofers. I didn't see it when I looked before but I saw it today when I looked at them when music was playing...
  17. DangerBoy

Problem with PSB Image 2B woofer

I have a pair og PSB Image 2B speakers and I think one of the woofers is blown. There's no visible damage to the cone or surround but that one woofer rattles on low bass notes and the other one handles it just fine. I assume then the voice coil or something else is damaged? I'd like to replace...
  18. DangerBoy

Looking for the perfect Android Media Player/Streamer App

For listening to FLAC files stored on my Android devices I like to use Gone Mad Music Player (GMMP) because it has a lot of features and capabilities that I like and a good UI. The one thing it can't do (and I really wish it could) is stream audio files off network shares. I have my entire CD...
  19. DangerBoy

AKG K240 (Sextett) Questions

I just received my set of excellent condition AKG K240 Sextetts in the mail yesterday. I bought them on eBay. Oh man, are they ever fantastic!! :music::rockon: I am so pleased with this purchase! The one downside is they don't fit me that well. I can get them to fit nicely but I can't get...
  20. DangerBoy

Can somebody help me identify the capacitance of these capacitors?

I'm trying to help a friend decide if he wants to try upgrading the capacitors in his speakers or just by a kit and make some new speakers. The crossovers in his speakers have two electrolytic caps which I can identify. There are also two of what look to be orange drop caps which I can't...
  21. DangerBoy

Where to get a Plinth Template for a Dual 721 TT

Just bought a Dual 721 TT today for pretty cheap. Think I did well on it. From what I'm reading in various places, it's a pretty good TT. I've never owned a Dual before. I'll be interested to give it a try out next to my Denon DP-59L when I get my new system up and running. I see that the 721...
  22. DangerBoy

Crossover Capacitor Replacement Questions

Case 1: I have a set of 2 way speakers (PSB Image 2B) that I want to upgrade capacitors in. The 3rd order XOvers have a 1.5 uF, 8.0 uF and a 12 uF cap. They are all 10% tolerance caps. It's easy to match the 1.5 and 12 uF with identical capacitance caps within my price range for this project...
  23. DangerBoy

What is a good removable sealant/caulk for speakers?

I'm doing an overhaul/upgrade to an old set of speakers and one of the things I wanted to do was apply some sealant along all the seams inside and around the drivers. I also want to use a sealant on the access panels to those speakers but I want to make sure I use a sealant that (a) won't make...
  24. DangerBoy

Please help me figure these crossovers out

I have a set of speakers made in the early to mid 1970s buy a mad scientist speaker maker who owned an audio shop in a nearby small town back in the 60s - 80s. Unfortunately, he passed away in the 80s so I'm unable to ask him any questions about his crossovers. This guy made what were some...
  25. DangerBoy

Which Cartridge should I keep?

I recently imported 4 higher end vintage Denon DD turntables from Japan (I like Denons and am familiar with them) and bought another from a small town near where I live. I believe I got very good prices on each one of the turntables even with all the freight costs incurred for shipping the lot...
Back
Top Bottom