Search results

1. 0

Mystery Speaker (help?) KLH Model...Something Maybe?

I found these speakers at my local thrift store; there are NO badges, tags, or other indications of where they came from. However, on the back they had a weird single KLH-style jack (not two speaker inputs). They are made of very heavy wood and have an unusual? hatch pattern fabric pattern on...
  2. 0

Extremely light pressure fixes Extremely annoying problem... (help?)

ok finally done got these waxed and buffed ... job complete!
  3. 0

Weird-looking big flat panel speakers? (Magnepan MMG)

Original poster here... Very strange but I bought that exact Crosley "dashboard" radio about a year ago and got it going with new caps, some cleaning, etc. Amusingly it has a plug on the side for you to plug a (toaster, something else) into and when the alarm goes off power is sent to the plug...
  4. 0

The problem is that they are listed in the thrift at over $100 and that's a bridge too far for my wife; i.e. I can hide and smuggle into the basement purchases smaller than that by doing some cash removals during grocery purchasing and gas station shenanigans, but it's hard to get my reserve...
  5. 0

I saw these weird tall flat kinda ugly whiteish "panel" speakers at a local thrift, they are something termed: MAGNEPAN MMG Loudspeakers. The plugins were for Amplifier and something termed Tweeter/Attenuator. I found them in an image search, pretty sure they are them: Anything to be...
  6. 0

Hooking up Speakers in Series to Lower Signal to 2nd Speaker Pair

Is it possible to hook up 2 sets of speakers in series, and will this lower the power to the 2nd set of speakers in the chain? This is what I want; I have 2 pairs of speakers hooked up to one amp and only one master volume control. The speaker sets are out of whack RE: volume, one is too loud...
  7. 0

Ugh, sorry I need more help. I'm using the CR-2040 to drive the Ohm C2's and also a pair of Klipsch KG 3.5's. Surely the Yamaha has enough power, yes, but the trouble is that the Ohms, as mentioned above, are POWER HUNGRY as in POWER HOOONGY. The master volume pushing the same signal to the...
  8. 0

Whew, done. Got the dustcap on. I decided to replace the 2 caps and a resister in the other speaker as well, so I feel I did my good deed for the day/year/decade. I hooked 'em up to my Yamaha CR-2040 and as expected they sound great. Much better than the beaters I had been using. For me...
  9. 0

OK, that was quite a pain. I got the new foam surround put in there, and I aligned the cone using low frequency signals... no problem, no rubbing. It's not looking that great but hey, I do what I can do. It's working great at least. Here is the final crossover shot from the inside...
  10. 0

I didn't want to do it but what the heck. I bought some degreasing stuff. There, now it's clean. I'll cut off the old refoam and clean it up, and put on a new one. I like the method of aligning the voice coil using low frequency signals better than shimming; I'll try that this time. It's...
  11. 0

I was already thinking about rotating them, yes... But you are right, I should just bite the bullet and refoam it. Occam says the easy answer is often the issue (well, not in so few words!) but yeah. I'll use some shims and refoam it after watching some youtube tutorials about it. I'll check...
  12. 0

I'm pretty sure the voice coil is not rubbing. It is extremely narrow (the distance between voicecoil and the surrounding metal) however; can I just run a bit of a narrow metal or plastic around it to make sure it clears? Is it possible that it might clear at the current position (upright)...
  13. 0

Well that was pretty rough. I didn't poke a hole in the speaker cone but I did make a bit of a mess. I'll have to glue back some bits when I put the dust cover back on. However, the important stuff: it looks great in there! Grease is still visible and greasy; the outside glue ring (orange)...
  14. 0

Thanks for all the help everyone! I'm nervous about it but I'm "GOING IN" tonight. I'm removing the dustcap with a blowdrier and seeing what nasty is there.
  15. 0

Wow I definitely came to the right place! Thanks for all the awesome replies and links! When you showed me what was under that dustcap... it was horrifying. YUCK YUCK YUCK. I def. have to pry up, gently, the dustcap and see what horrors are beneath. I pray that it's just some horrible...
  16. 0

Hi, I'm new to re-foaming/fixing speakers, and recently started off with an Ohm C2 I found locally for cheap. The woofer speaker foam was totally rotten but otherwise they were great. So I did it and one of them would up with a buzz. It's a mechanical buzz on the woofer; if I'm playing music...
  17. 0

Help me not ruin a pair of Ohm C2's

Thanks! I took a few. I kept the "bad" parts I replaced, or at least 4 of them, I think I threw out one of the really bad resistors.
  18. 0

I'm sure I half-azzed it. But I did buy a specific C2 refoam kit that had very involved directions which did not talk about cone issues. It was about 10 steps, and seemed pretty detailed so I rolled with it. I have 2 daughters and a wife with an autoimmune disease so I have very little time...
  19. 0

Hey sorry for not answering other questions, I did not use a electrolytic capacitor... when I refoamed them I did have to remove the surrounding ring thing but I did not have to take out the speaker. The cone was fine. I just replaced the foam around the cone, so it was already centered, and...
  20. 0

Wooo! That was great. I double-checked all the components and I think I made a mistake; I put in a 20V capacitor instead of a 50V capacitor. I tested them all, put them back in, made sure my terrible soldering wasn't completely lame, and fiddled a bit. I checked the Ohm values for the main...
  21. 0

This is the speaker circuit under question before I messed with it. The bad resistor was the 2.2 ohm in the middle.
  22. 0

I forgot to mention I swapped channels and stuff it's def. the speaker not the input.
  23. 0

Hi I got a pair of Ohm C2's from a local thrift store for $20, the foam was all rotten and they looked a mess, but honestly the wood and everything was in great shape. I'm a total newbie but liked how they looked and they have a good reputation so why not? Dumb question: do the Ohm serial...
  24. 0

Loudness control on Cr-2040

Hi my CR-2040 got whacked in the past and the loudness knob is impossible to remove. It still works it just rotates a little off kilter. But my question is actually about what it does. What does it do? I have read the manual but it's not which direction does what. Why is the marking Flat...
  25. 0

Adjusting Offset/Bias and other basic? things on Cr 2040 (help?)

BTW is it really possible to blow out speakers? This thing is loud as eff. If I have the input on near max, I can't get above "2" without cringing (I am standing in front of the speakers working at my computer). I have some Andrew Jones bookshelf speakers and Klipsch 3.5's. If I wanted to see...
Back
Top Bottom