Search results

1. Nixxuz

Which soldering station would you buy?

Happy with the Hakko, although in a bizarre twist, I'm currently using my Ryobi One+ portable. I'm already invested in the system, so I figured I'd give it a try. It's been an awesome little iron. Temp control, 45s to temp, works with any of my 18V Ryobi batteries, and uses Hakko tips. Nice to...
  2. Nixxuz

Is this correct?

I recent obtained a chassis that came with multiple switches. I guess I've never had one come with everything, so I was a bit confused at the included 0.01uf X2 cap. Based on what I have read, this is a "snubber" cap to prevent arcing across the poles from AC? I assume I'm doing this right?
  3. Nixxuz

Basic question from an uneducated DIY'er.

So I can just run all 4 positions with 2k/5w resistors? That would be handy, as I have some laying around. I did just order some 5k value ones though...
  4. Nixxuz

That is the exact schematic the supplier shows on the site.
  5. Nixxuz

It is. The brown resistors are 2K/5W. The PCB itself shows, over each pairing, "2K/5K/5W". Is it a possible variable value? Because the coupling caps are shown "0.15UF/0.33UF". Not sure how those resistor values would be a matter of preference... Here is a scan of the unpopulated PCB, front and...
  6. Nixxuz

So I'm doing a build of the KSL-M7 clone that's been around a few years at this point. I've built up just enough knowledge to not follow pictures and instead try to pay attention to actual schematics. This might be a case of a little bit of knowledge being worse than none at all. I've got 2...
  7. Nixxuz

Willsenton R300B SE Integrated Amp #2

Interested in how the Miflex/Duelund combo turns out. IMO, for the money, the Miflex cannot be beat in terms of "reality", if that can make any sense. I found them to be extremely close/equal to Duelund tinned copper, at a fraction of the price.
  8. Nixxuz

"Grunge is Why Rock 'N' Roll Music is on Life Support, if not Dead."...hmmm

I'm kinda late to the thread, but isn't Winger doing classical compositions now? I know he was. Kind of a 180, but it appeared he won some awards in that particular arena.
  9. Nixxuz

Which 300B sounds better?

Looking at possibly building this kit after a Kondo M7 clone I'm slowly gathering parts for. Is the Masterpiece P2P or does it have a PCB? Couldn't find any internal pics on the site itself. Edit: Nevermind. I see it's P2P.
  10. Nixxuz

done with tubes

There's some through hole on the board. The lytics and poly caps are for sure, based on other sites I've seen where people replaced them. Yeah, it's obviously not a total p2p deal, but if a coupling cap or power filter popped, it's not a pro level fix.
  11. Nixxuz

done with tubes

Huh. https://www.schiit.com/public/upload/general/saga%20PCB.jpg
  12. Nixxuz

done with tubes

I'd open up the preamp, unplugged obviously, and take a peek to see if something fried. I've had tubes go bad and redplate before, but they generally didn't take the amp itself out with them. Not saying it's not possible of course. It could be all you did was pop a cap or resistor in there...
  13. Nixxuz

If you had $1000 for speakers…

Gotta chime in here with Poultry. I have a pair of the now discontinued Lii Audio FAST10S full rangers. I got them when they were "relatively" cheap. By far the most emotional drivers I have ever heard. Mine are backed up with a little down low, (dual Dayton Ultimax 10" with passive radiators)...
  14. Nixxuz

New music doesn't all suck, does it?

It's 12 years old at this point, but... Folk Rap?
  15. Nixxuz

Andrew Jones joins team Mofi

This is the unfortunate way for a goodly amount of the population these days. I'm not and settled in a house with a dedicated listening room, but most of the under 40's out there chase jobs from coast to coast and rent sleeping unit boxes they sometimes watch TV in.
  16. Nixxuz

Why yuck their yum?

Part of it is due to an innate need to believe ourselves slightly smarter than the person next to us, and part of it is the anonymity of faceless communication on the internet. I know of a couple people that I disagree with, but IRL I also know them, and can see the context of their stance and...
  17. Nixxuz

Desktop Amp Suggestions Other Than ChiFi

As is the Sprout, depending on your qualifications.
  18. Nixxuz

Desktop Amp Suggestions Other Than ChiFi

One thought is possibly the Dayton APA-150. I'm using one of these for my PC, and another in my kitchen. As a bonus they can also be run monoblocked, and have a low pass filter, so could easily be added to for a higher power system, or used as a subwoofer amp/s. They are originally I believe an...
  19. Nixxuz

A friendlier place :0)

Tell me about it. I started my re-entry into audio on the budgetaudiophile sub, kind of moved past that, and started spending more time in the "audiophile" sub. Almost nothing as far as decent advice. It's all people slapping each other on the back for being the smartest people they know. Mostly...
  20. Nixxuz

A great cross hobby tool. Rodico putty

It was a big day for me when I found out that Blu Tack isn't conductive lol. I use it for a TON of stuff, (though not directly in conductive areas).
  21. Nixxuz

So who is stocking up on tubes?

I dunno if I would worry too much about obtaining Chinese tubes, preferences notwithstanding. China is loyal to making money, for the most part. They posture, but when it comes down to brass tacks, they will do as much as possible to turn a profit. It'll be extremely hard for Western countries...
  22. Nixxuz

YouTube Reviewers and their hearing

Well, I hope you are starting a petition to get all recording studios staffed with 10 year old girls, if that's the criteria you're concerned with.
  23. Nixxuz

If that's what you want, just stick to ASR.
  24. Nixxuz

I don't play into this "Well, let's see you do better!" garbage. I can have legitimate gripes about how YT works, and how it's interaction with the audio community works, without having to actively participate in it.
  25. Nixxuz

The problem is that, to some extent, they are ALL bought and paid for. If you make a bad review of ANY product, not only will that manufacturer probably never send you any review samples to play with again, but every other manufacturer will do the same out of fear. A "professional reviewer"...
Back
Top Bottom