Search results

1. M

Who has refinished Model 5 or other KLH speakers? Questions inside.

I had to apply a second coat as they weren't returning slowly. This last coat has them returning in that 1-2 second range
  2. M

How did you get the surrounds on the woofers so black - looks good. That brown back that you painted the cabinet ( same as @Joe Nardy ) has me second guessing why DIDNT I do it.. smh lol
  3. M

Oh no! Alright, well if you happen to come across it, think about looking for it etc - please let me know! thanks!
  4. M

Yes thanks!! Do you happen to have a spare mid?
  5. M

Thanks. I wish they matched a little closer but is what it is. They're were close once they were sanded but oiled up, they distanced each other a bit.
  6. M

So all done guys. It took 4 coats of Danish oil in Natural. I did two coats within 30 mins of each other. Dried 24 hours, then the next morning I sanded, oiled and repeated once more. They're still not a 100% match but very good in person. They seem more drastic in these photos than in person as...
  7. M

Do we have a resident Technics tech that re-caps amps here?

no problem. Edited: I guess while you're here, have you found a suitable replacement for the main caps? Like I said above, I found another poster that made something work but didnt know if that was something that would hold back a recap or not.
  8. M

Thanks I deleted it. And yeah the main caps were the issue. Ive seen a thread where someone used the sleeve of the old caps and used a wooden dowel to make up the difference. https://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/looking-for-technics-se-a70-power-capacitors.897778/
  9. M

bump Anyone else in the area recap Technics amps?
  10. M

I was wondering if we have someone that re-caps Technics here? Prefer in Del, Md, Va, Pa, Nj area. I think I remember someone being in Nj area, but Im striking out while searching today...
  11. M

Another Model 5 restoration - documenting as I go!

Finished up the crossovers and attached a picture of the corner repair. Like I said the veneer I had was darker, but again its fine the way it it. Questions: 1. Is there a way to test the crossover to make sure its going to work? 2. How should I wipe down the cabinets since I sanded them down...
  12. M

I did try, but not sure how they're going to look. I'll see later on when I check em out. I think I'll have to push some of that kwikwood into them as you suggested
  13. M

Another update: I started to hand sand the cabinets with 220 and then went to 320 but they still seemed "redish" as seen here. So then I went to the palm sander going from 220 to 320 which really made them more even. Another thing I noticed is that the edge pieces are more red than the other...
  14. M

Just got everything in. Going to start working on them tonight or tomorrow.. RoyC dope and Glenn's veneer and walnut dust as needed. Plus the caps, resistors and hurricane nuts from PE!
  15. M

Thanks. I was afriad of too much steaming would lift the veneer? No? Im down to do more for sure, as long as its "safe" lol. I like your method of wetting just the crack. Seems to add a layer of safety.
  16. M

@GD70 I did check and its hardened. Now what I did notice, is there are some sticky drips where the screw holes were. I dont know if its because its thick ( the drip itself ) and it just hasnt fully hardened yet? Almost seems like I didnt use enough hardener but everything else its nice and...
  17. M

I'm going to let it set up a few more hours. I'll recheck later on.
  18. M

Appreciate it!! Should I do another coat of Z-poxy on the woofer mounting area?
  19. M

Another small update: I steamed the scratches that were on top of the one cabinet, I would say they came out 75% or so. Im happy with it... I have more sanding to do, so that will help lessen it a tad as well. I didnt want to steam too much as I didnt know how it would react with the veneer and...
  20. M

How do you apply the z poxy? Acid brush?
  21. M

Thanks. The scotchbrite I was using is considered very fine at 320 grit. Granted thats not very fine in terms of sandpaper but for Scotchbrite its pretty fine. So what I was getting at is I was hitting it with 320, I think I'll continue with the pads as it allows a bit more flexibility to get...
  22. M

Okay I think I see what you're saying. Almost like tiger striping, As in this picture. It looks like on the left cabinet, you can see some darker area area its been scotchbrited. Looks to be three spots or so on the left speaker's bottom.
  23. M

Thanks, so it looks like the cabinet shouldnt have really any "red/orange" to the veneer. Once thats gone, I should be ready for the repairs. I think Im going to try and steam out that scrtach before any more sanding and might also so some of the other repairs prior also, Id rather not sand more...
Back
Top Bottom