Search results

1. AltecDarpa

More satisfaction from "Underdog Speakers"?

adjusting for inflation those Technics speakers cost the equivalent of around $3500-$4000 when new, so not surprising they are very good speakers.
  2. AltecDarpa

Cambridge Audio receiver - Overloaded

well that receiver seems more then capable of handling those speakers, I would check the speaker terminals on the receiver to make sure there's not a loose wire making contact where it shouldn't. Is it only going into protection while playing very loud? or is it happening no matter the volume...
  3. AltecDarpa

Altec Model One

Better get in on this for when it gets dredged back to the surface in 2027
  4. AltecDarpa

What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

its been: Hippo Campus - Landmark Jimmy Buffet - Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes just finishing The National - Trouble will find me
  5. AltecDarpa

right now its: Real Estate - Days so far this morning: Gerry Rafferty - City to City Lorde - Pure Heroine Loudon Wainwright III - Attempted Mustache
  6. AltecDarpa

Sony STR-V4 hot rodding and problem solving

just thought I would ask if the speaker selector is in the off/wrong position?
  7. AltecDarpa

Favorite Steely Dan songs?

All of them from Can't buy a thrill to Gaucho
  8. AltecDarpa

Sade - Stronger Than Pride
  9. AltecDarpa

Integrated Amps

if you like the Denon it might be worth considering having it re-capped, you could do boutique caps for way less then something new, even upgrade the filter caps on the power supply. if you really want something newer check out the last 10 years of the Cambridge Azur line, I think the entry...
  10. AltecDarpa

Youtube, the 8 Track of streaming

adblock plus
  11. AltecDarpa

Help needed with opening Grundig Audiorama 8000

If I was going at those I would pop that tweeter out and get a look at whats going on inside to see if any hints about their construction could be learned, might be easier with a small prybar to separate the inside of the seam around the equator
  12. AltecDarpa

Pro tips for the novice

I would say getting into DIY is one of the best ways of de-mystifying allot of the murk of this hobby, building some amp kits and seeing how different spec'd or valued components and different power supplies all have some effect, theres allot of cheap kits and projects even beginners can get...
  13. AltecDarpa

latest pics of my Nikko collection

should buff right out on the bright side, at least you can collect some more
  14. AltecDarpa

Buying a cooling fan/pad for my vintage Pioneer

something more suited to this and cheaper then a whole laptop cooling pad would just be to buy a 120mm pc fan, any with actual ball bearings instead of sleeve bearings are quite and last for years. they are pretty much all 12v and if you run them off a 9v wall wart you can get even quieter...
  15. AltecDarpa

The great purge has begun.

I've been at the point for the last decade where moving involves sourcing a econoline style van to do several stereo moves prior to the big u-haul rest of the house move. normally takes a van load for the speakers and another for amps, receivers, cd-players, turntables, then another for the...
  16. AltecDarpa

Coronavirus News -- PLEASE No Politics

SARS and now this have changed my outlook on this kind of thing the concern around this outbreak is this virus and china are a perfect storm of sorts, it has a 2 week incubation period were people seem to be infectious before they start showing symptoms, and this is happening during a...
  17. AltecDarpa

Technics Reborn.

that big power amp sure looks purdy
  18. AltecDarpa

Marantz 170DC Back From The DEAD

very nice! looks like it lived its life behind glass in a cabinet, I have a large pile of receivers/integrated amps that I need to do similar overhauls on, I hope they turn out half as nice as that marantz
  19. AltecDarpa

Marantz Amp - Odd Noises

unplug the unit, take the top off and try snugging the screws/bolts holding the transformer tight, transformers can hum a bit and if there was a loose end or 2 it could generate some weird noise. if that doesnt fix it look up coil whine on youtube and see if thats the same noise you are hearing...
  20. AltecDarpa

Marantz Amp - Odd Noises

this noise if from the unit itself or coming over the speakers?
  21. AltecDarpa

Dedicated power supply and power points

we just bought a house that doesn't have any grounding on 90% of the outlets, so we are planning on re-wiring the place in the spring, I was planning on having 2 20 or 30 amp lines ran to the listening room and computer room side of the basement. also planning on upgrading to 200amp service and...
  22. AltecDarpa

How to get rid of sticky surface on Avid 102a speakers

I wonder if this is the same issue I have with my technics SB-5000a's, they are a vinyl material and leave a residue on my hands after I move them around, they are also fond of collecting cat hair.
  23. AltecDarpa

What cigar are you enjoying with your tunes?

get a life I have been trying many different sticks lately, some House of Horvath coronas and Hugo Cassar churchills and coronas, as well as a couple factory throw-outs, I find some of those are very good, some might have a light spot or a pronounced vein on the wrapper, but they all smoke...
  24. AltecDarpa

Large Advents bass heavy on wood floor

get them about a foot off the ground, and try tilting them back slightly, also try to get them out from any walls and as far as possible from the corners of the room, boundary effect can be pretty pronounced on some speakers more then others.
Back
Top Bottom