Search results

1. F

Sansui 5500 better than?

I'd be happy to mail them to you. I no longer have my 5500 (foolishly sold it), so they've just been collecting dust in a drawer. Feel free to PM me.
  2. F

Original Large Advents with Flat/Rumbly Bass?

FWIW, house music sounds just fine on my OLA's, as does most everything else. The bass is definitely on the slower, heavier side of things, which is just their nature (especially in smaller rooms), but it seems to tighten up considerably when I engage the low-cut filter on my receiver.
  3. F

Recapping and repairing a Harman Kardon 730 twin power series stereo receiver

You can absolutely stretch the pins across the two original board holes. I've done it a few times on receivers I've recapped, and haven't had any issues.
  4. F

Trashed 1219, any parts I should save?

I could definitely use a speed selector lever for my 1219. Previous owner broke it and I've never had any luck finding that particular part for sale.
  5. F

TRIO W-45 Integrated EL84 Amplifier

Here's a copy of the schematic. It's for a Trio W-45A/Hamlin's 2020, but it should do the trick. Edit: Looks like Audiokarma won't allow me to attach the full-res file. Dang!
  6. F

Sansui SP2500, taming midrange ?

I had a pair a few years ago, and know exactly what you're talking about. As I recall, the woofers are run full-range, which causes interference in the crossover region and a peaky resonance in the 1-2k zone as they hit their breakup point. Sort of the Achille's Hell for an otherwise wonderful...
  7. F

Replacement Tweeter Recommendations for Akai SW-125's

A while back, I picked up a pair of Akai SW-125's on a whim. They're cute little mid-sized 3-ways, similar enough to Sansui and Pioneer speakers from the era. They sound quite pleasant, with a warm but crisp midrange and surprisingly good bass for a Japanese speaker of this era. Quite efficient...
  8. F

Kenwood KR-5150 Help - how to adjust dial meter?

You might be able to shift the position of the pointer on the dial string. I've had to do that before on a couple receivers I worked on.
  9. F

Pioneer CS 63 DX!

The CS-63DX's are fantastic speakers once they've been recapped and all drivers are working 100%. I have mine paired up with an 80-watt Sony ES receiver from the early '90s, and the sound is sublime. Big, crisp, tight, and yet warm. And those cabinets!
  10. F

Sansui-SP-2000 Love or Hate?

In my experience, the DOT 3 treatment was not as effective on the SP-2000 woofers as it was on the SP-2500's. I wouldn't be surprised if the woofer was supposed to be fairly stiff by design, although the size of the cloth surrounds and the ported cabinet do suggest that it should have some...
  11. F

Sansui-SP-2000 Love or Hate?

To my eyes, Sansui SP-2000's are a quintessential vintage speaker. They're iconic with their thick walnut veneer and hand-carved lattice grilles, they sold boatloads of them, and they're compelling enough to be the subject of endless debate amongst a particular sect of audiophiles, much like the...
  12. F

78 rpm listening habits.

An old Newcomb classroom record-player is my go-to for casual 78 playback. It's got an Astatic 89T flip-over stylus that feeds a small tube amp and powers a big ol' paper cone full-ranger that just pounds out the music. Best of all, it's completely manual, so there's no risk of damage from a...
  13. F

Yamaha cassette "Focus?" (Anyone read German?)

Not really, no. It probably affects a narrower frequency band than your amp's treble control, but that's about it. It's one of those things that you use if it happens to work for you, and leave alone if it doesn't.
  14. F

Yamaha cassette "Focus?" (Anyone read German?)

The "Focus" button boosts the highs to account for worn or mediocre tapes.
  15. F

CS-63DX cross over rebuild

The back panels are only held on with screws, but they are very heavy and will not come off easily without some force. Pull hard, and use a gift card (or a very thin flathead, if they're really not budging and you don't mind making a couple marks on the back) as a wedge. Be aware that these...
  16. F

Trio w-45/Trio AF-220

I paid about $75 for a Hamlin's 20/20 amplifier and Hamlin's HN-2 tuner, which are the Trio W-45 and AFX-210 rebranded for Hamlin's Electronics (a long-defunct Seattle audio store). The seller had it priced at $225 for the set, but I negotiated it down significantly after a small capacitor blew...
  17. F

Hamlin's 20/20 EL84 Amp-Mystery Noise and Phono Amp Issues

Happy to report that I've finally fixed the phono preamp! I worked up the courage to trace the voltages with the unit powered on, and found a dead resistor under V6. Plugged in my turntable, and got clear sound on both channels! Only problem now is that I need to replace the rest of the old caps...
  18. F

Recapping and repairing a Harman Kardon 730 twin power series stereo receiver

Let's just say I learned my lesson 2 years ago, did it the right way, and it's been fine ever since :)
  19. F

Choosing a 78 stylus

I tried an aftermarket 78 stylus for the Shure M75 and was not very impressed. The suspension was weak and sunk in at the recommended 3g, and didn't track very well at 2g. The aftermarket 78 stylus for the AT3600 is pretty decent from what I remember (I haven't used one since 2018). My current...
  20. F

anyone else running vintage Empire carts?

It looks like JICO is offering a nude elliptical for the 2000E for a cool $150. Has anyone tried it yet? https://www.jico-stylus.com/product/s-2000e-iii-nude/
  21. F

Thoughts on Klipsch RP 600M speakers with Marantz 2270?

A good friend of mine has a set of the RP600M's, and I have the smaller RP500M's. While they're far from being "perfect" (what speaker is?), they are very nice for the price, and definitely worth a listen. If you're able to return them or audition them beforehand, you've got nothing to lose...
  22. F

Pioneer CS-63dx speakers....anyone familiar?

Based on my own impressions, I'd say they start smoothly rolling off around 100Hz, and have usable bass down to about 50-60Hz when placed properly.
  23. F

To be honest, I more or less gave up trying to fix the phono preamp, as that section is too much of a rat's nest for me to want to bother with. Maybe one of these days, I'll hunker down and replace each cap and resistor in that circuit and see if it comes back to life, but I don't have high...
  24. F

Thought I'd give this thread an update. The amp was not damaged at all, besides that 40uF cap, luckily. Really enjoying the tube sound, especially with my Klipsch bookshelves. That being said, I am getting curious about tube rolling and replacement. What sort of changes should I expect, assuming...
  25. F

Bad Horn In CS-99A, Can It be Repaired?

Keep your eyes on eBay for a replacement set. People part these out all the time, and while it may not be the cheapest option, it's probably cheaper than the time and effort spent trying to track down a replacement horn on Parts Express that fits the cutout and crossover points.
Back
Top Bottom