Search results

1. Vaylo

Cover restoration

Sometimes these covers have foot marks of other decks that were placed on them. I tried to clean those marks with various chemicals but all without any success. I was thinking maybe if i put it in the dishwasher and set the temperature to around 50 degrees Celsius would that help? Anyone any...
  2. Vaylo

Cover restoration

Thank you all for your suggestions. I guess stripping it is not an option as I would never be able to find identical vinyl and as the deck is one of four stacked on each other it would be very obvious that this one is different. I think careful sanding may reduce the visibility of those scratches.
  3. Vaylo

Cover restoration

Hi, do you guys have any suggestions on how to restore this: It is something Onkyo refers to as 'vinyl plated' cover. It does not look like any regular paint that I've seen. I was thinking maybe a towel and an iron could smooth it? Thanks for any ideas.
  4. Vaylo

Recapping digital tuner

Hi, up to now I only had analogue tuners. But now there's a new tuner on the way to me which is a digital one (ie. Quartz Synthesized). I used to recap power supply boards with the analogue ones and kept the rest of the board untouched so that they don't get misaligned when it comes to tuning...
  5. Vaylo

Quick one on proper lamp replacement

Thanks very much. 8V ones are ordered.
  6. Vaylo

Quick one on proper lamp replacement

Hi, quick question...i need a new incandescent bulb for my tuner to illuminate the display. It's an axial lamp which I want to replace with same type i.e. I don't want any LED there. I measured exactly 7V AC there but the replacements I found are either 6V or 8V. If I go with a 6V replacement...
  7. Vaylo

Fail of the protection circuit

The amp is based on STK which is fed by both + and - 42V and the output pins have 0 volts so I guess that would be the second case then?
  8. Vaylo

After lots of reading I found couple of articles dealing with this DC voltage issue where two capacitors in series are suggested as a possible solution. In theory they should simply block any DC from getting into the speakers. Honestly I don't understand the physics behind that and I'm not sure...
  9. Vaylo

STK-0050 replacement for SX-780 and others

No way sir. I'm not asking you to do that. What you already did with 0050 is super great and you helped to preserve many units from ending up in the garbage just because the market ran out of original parts. I have no idea how much work and efforts you must have put into this. All I meant with...
  10. Vaylo

Would be great to see similar replacement for those more lowendish dual channel STKs like the family 457/459/460 and 461/463/465/466. They were widely used in all sorts of amps and receivers, STK465 being probably the most common one.
  11. Vaylo

Sansui AU-07 Anniversary professional restoration

How did you remove the glue that was holding the capacitors? I tried to use IPA, nail polish remover with acetone...no luck so far...thx
  12. Vaylo

Physical inspection confirms assumptions made by goldie99 and sregor. S701 is actually a spot on the motherboard where the wires from thermal fuse are soldered in. So the relay is closed as long as the thermal fuse is closed. Seems that this protection is there just to make sure the amp doesn't...
  13. Vaylo

OK, so now I'm bit worried. Seems like the only protection of my speakers that the amp offers are two 4 amp 250V time-lag fuses - which is literally like nothing. Also it's totally useless when a failure like the one which happened to me occurs. I started looking for some solution and found...
  14. Vaylo

Hitachi HA 610 Recap - Elna Silmic vs Nichicon Gold?

Hi, thanks. That's exactly what I'm normally doing when there is a low capacitance cap to be replaced but in this case any PP or PE cap is way to large to fit there. I guess I'd go with Nichicon UFG which I have plenty in stock right now.
  15. Vaylo

Hitachi HA 610 Recap - Elna Silmic vs Nichicon Gold?

How is it with low leakage caps? I'm just recapping a phono pre-amp and there are two 4.7uf LL caps there. Do I really have to replace them with say Nichicon UKL? Read somewhere that the parameters of a low leakage cap back in the 80s are (in terms of leakage) more or less same as parameters of...
  16. Vaylo

Thanks guys, so it seems I'm learning something here. I though that those transistors were supposed to be sensing the DC. Checking the board reveals that the signal goes from STKs via fuses into the relay and then to speaker outputs. S701 seems to be the thermal fuse even though the other chart...
  17. Vaylo

Hi folks, so today I turned one of my amps (Onkyo A-08) on and bang...left channel dead, horrible buzzing coming out of my headphones and then smoke from the area where the headphones output is. Immediately turned it off, opened it and found one of the resistors on the headphone jack cracked...
  18. Vaylo

Thank you all for your help. Much appreciated.
  19. Vaylo

Onkyo A-08 noise

Hi, thanks but it's not cell phone or any other source of interference. I will focus on the power supply circuit later today, maybe there is a dying cap or something. Btw I just noticed that the amount of noise depends on the volume setting however it's totally independent from balance...
  20. Vaylo

Onkyo A-08 noise

Hi folks, I have an Onkyo A-08 amp which is sporting 2 STK-1040s. Problem is that it generates noise similar to sound produced by radio when you are tuning between two stations. I measured both STKs and they have some irregularities. All the voltages are nominal except for pin 3 (on both STKs)...
  21. Vaylo

Hi, can anyone help me out here? I have an Onkyo A-08 with both STKs 1040 shorted between pins 8-9 so I'm getting totally distorted sound. Can I use this module as a replacement (with some modifications I guess)? The only difference between 0050 and 1050 seems to be with emitter resistance on...
  22. Vaylo

Help needed with capacitor replacement

Yeah the board is thin. It's like 2mm at most. I just looked in the datasheet and those leads are 4mm long. So maybe I will not need to drill any holes or add leads as I only need to go like 1mm to each side to fit them in the original holes. Carefully bending them may do the trick.
  23. Vaylo

Hi, I was considering those as well. As long as it is perfectly 'safe' to add leads to them I'll for sure go with those. And yes, there's plenty of room for them as the old ones are like 40mm in diameter. Thanks very much.
  24. Vaylo

Hi, they are all 6800uF, I just prefer higher voltage: UVR: https://www.tme.eu/en/details/uvr1j682mrd/85c-tht-electrolytic-capacitors/nichicon/ UVZ: https://www.tme.eu/en/details/uvz1j682mrd/105c-tht-electrolytic-capacitors/nichicon/ UFW...
  25. Vaylo

Thanks again for all the replies. Now a question about those large ones (power supply filter caps). I'd like to replace them as they are 40 years old. Considering their capacitance which is 6800uF, minimum voltage of 40V and lead pitch of 12.5mm it seems I only have three choices (with THT...
Back
Top Bottom