Search results

1. J

Jbl l65a vs ss7300

Plug the ports on the L65a with dould up sock per port, then back 077 & mid to "3" to start. Also keep them on the floor while doing this. I also run them with PP 6l6 UL mono tube amps of only 30w or so & @ 9' to my listen position. Those Sony's are good, but if you have the 122A's still in...
  2. J

what to do with all these stinking tungsol 5881's?

I been running 5881 Tung-sol in Ampex mono's with over 520 B+ w/SS rectification so definately in high 400'sh on plate & in UL to boot without problems for a long while now. Albiet I have them biased very lightly.. Joe
  3. J

JBL L65a OB conversion.

pic.....
  4. J

JBL L65a OB conversion.

Original L65 Jubal's @ 91db efficiency w/ 126A woofers. L65A second version with 122A woofer is @ 89 db efficiency. This conversion I did is on the L65A version. XO is 1k & 6.5k on L65A I am not sure on the 3rd L65B version as I do not know what woofer they used in that. I by mistake typed...
  5. J

JBL L65a OB conversion.

I thought to toss this out to JBL L65a owners. I have ran a pair of these w/ a OB mid for about a year now.The simple & reversible conversion has no permenant changes at all to the original speaker. Simply take a Seas MCA 15 RCY & place it directly above the original mid driver location on top...
  6. J

Hamlin?

To bad the original 8" fr drivers were not in em.. I suspect they were PIM. & definately one of the best fr drivers I have ever heard when properly set up. They are special in many ways.. You could keep an eye out for some 8" Hamlin black box drivers or PIM 8/16, or they were also produced under...
  7. J

What do you do with "retired" main speakers

A system in every room incuding all bathrooms..? I also hang retired speakers in my tree's in the summer....*s* Be carefull with permanent bumping of mains. I have went backwards many times do to I thought my newly aquired speakers were smokin the old mains.. fairly soon to find out this was...
  8. J

Tube Bias, How critical

When your grid bias goes down your current draw goes up, Are you measureing from across a 1 or 10 ohm resistor from cathode to ground..? You can hang one of these from each cathode to ground on each output tube. & you will be measureing actual current for each tube when measureing across this...
  9. J

JBL L100 need recap or not ?

Shacky I think those paticular Daytons sound excellent. In coupling in tubers & XO's. What is the tweeter cap by-pass value on the k-40 you used & please dscribe the differance you heard with & without. Joe
  10. J

Question about cleaning/protecting vintage wood speaker cabinets

Formby's lemon oil treatment or Howard Feed-N-Wax wood preserver, the latter has no solicone or linseed oil, it is a mixture of beeswax/carnuba wax/ & orange oil. Joe
  11. J

Thoughts on Restoration

I just dissconnect em & mount underneath, all is reversable to stock form if no holes or anything else permanent is done. I mount all new caps on the very sticky zip tie mounts then strap'er down. I also change bias resistors on cathode bias machines to a 10ohm in series of the actual bias...
  12. J

Thinking about a parallel 45 SE

Hey Mark.!!!!!!!!! Didn't put 2 & 2 together , sometimes I am far from bieng on the ball. Maybe sometime this summer we should do a get together audio style. Do you have any PP amps for larger scale mood music..? I get away with 45 on JBL pro 2ways ,but the L65A's really need more for me so a...
  13. J

Thinking about a parallel 45 SE

I don't think it will be justified with a 45. Way to spendy of tube. I have for years ran a 6sn7/6sn7 amp useing big ol' Pilot iron in PSE mode into ADS L690's with out stading results in a bedroom system. I look forward to this system more than my 5 others that I also listen to every single...
  14. J

jbl l65 jubal vs. jbl l100

L65 indeed stomps a mud hole in ALOT of speakers , including many favorites of today..IMO. Put them in heavy, heavy stands & run a good PP amp thru'em & oh boy........*s* I also run ADS, & pro JBL, but would never sell L65. Thru my PP 300B or any good PP amp I run they are a joy. There top end...
  15. J

I'm Speechless (AR)

My favorite speakers I run out of 4 running systems are from 1959. They make wonderfull music....not super hi-fi this sound & that sound, but beats the crap out of any ref.modern monitor I have had or hybrid this & hybris that, including Planars, ribbons, etc............for music I just heard a...
  16. J

Ampex 30 mono's problem....

Hello, I am pretty sure the RCA labeled Mullard 6ca7/ el-34's were factory originals as the national branded ef-86 & ge 12au7 are all matched & look to be original. The line voltage here is slightly over 120 most all the time. The new diodes are some fancy high speed noiseless jobbies I paid...
  17. J

Ampex 30 mono's problem....

I recapped PS & put in some nice diodes to replace the ageing diodes, checked everything on both mono's. Fired it up & have way to much B+, these are about 1959 el-34 mono's, with cathode bias with a resisitor of 300 ohm & bias adjustment pot of 100ohms, It looks to be also in UL has a tap...
  18. J

Why are acoustic suspension speakers no longer popular?

ADS.... nuff said. Joe
  19. J

Some JBLs to muse over...

WOW.!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I better get my A. to church. Joe
  20. J

Now that's Good Kabuki!

I have a pair of KL-7070 that I hate to say.............sound good.They have all foster horn, & have a very nice sounding alnico mid. The sealed cab has nice & fairly tight bass. Not my JBL for res, but they do, do somethings very right. They I would say are something a tube amp loves. I have...
  21. J

Klipsch KLF 30 opinions?

I think these KLF series are the best kept secret in Klipsch...I would snag them. They will be nice at low volume if that is a real issue. Try a tube amp on them if you have 1. Joe
  22. J

Colrad hi-fi Tweeter Horn any information ?

Looks like a Coral/Pioneer type gig. I have had alot of Calrad fullrangers & they allways sound superb. I just yesterday hit a BIN on pair of little mini's with a single Calrad 6" coaxial, that looks exactly like a mini PIM or sk-98, same frame & cone, I actualy might have some huge pioneer...
  23. J

Do I really have to spend $5000 to get excellent speakers?

A 2way way w/ 2226 & very good cd/horn combo w/ a extremely well done XO or active is something to be heard thru a good to great tube amp. You can even take a lowley SR series JBL pro rig & fire it up thru a good/great tube amp & slap in a nice recording & wonder WTF have I been doing messing...
  24. J

Large Advents or KG4's?

KG-4 can sound exceptionally good for some reason. I remember them well. Driven with a Yamaha MX-2000, & differant tube amps . I don't ever rember them bieng harsh. Woulda been cool to run em side by side a/b with ADS 710 or 810. Joe
  25. J

Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker

Hey John, Hope damage wasn't to bad on that amp. I definately heard enough of the E-wave to hear what can be done. It was coherant. Had the live feel on small scale SPL dynamics. I will just up-scale this to 2226 version & let the dynamic games begin..*s* Nice depth to that sound stage also &...
Back
Top Bottom