Search results

1. 2

Bozak LS400 recap

The yellow capacitors look like mylar. The purple one is probably electrolytic. To test the resistors, you should unsolder one end of each when you measure their resistance. They should conform to the resistance values printed on them. If the coils are intact, they should show a very low...
  2. 2

Bozak LS400 recap

Whoops! I see that you did specify the model (LS400). My bad. That model does not use oil filled capacitors, to the best of my knowledge. If it presently has non-electrolytic capacitors, such as mylar or other plastic dielectrics, they are likely to be o.k. too. Electrolytic capacitors are much...
  3. 2

Bozak LS400 recap

Unless your Bozaks are very new, or are of the lesser models (you didn't bother to specify the model), the crossovers use extremely high quality oil filled capacitors that do not require replacement unless you have verified that they have failed, which is very unlikely. In the absence of proof...
  4. 2

Service info for Mission 700AS Subwoofer electronics?s?

DaveVoorhis: Thanks for your note. This sub came from Mission Canada, which no longer exists. I emailed the company in the UK that took over Mission. I will try them again, but I seriously doubt that the new owners give a damn about old customers that have a problem with products that are not...
  5. 2

Service info for Mission 700AS Subwoofer electronics?s?

Anyone out there have schematic and layout for the electronics of this Mission Sub? I courteously emailed the company about this unit and never received the courtesy of a reply. You might want to take note of their response policy if you are considering the purchase of a Mission product. This is...
  6. 2

Anyone Familliar With The Dynaco PAT-5?

NoTransistors: I have used the PAT-5 in several systems and there is nothing excessive about the phono stage gain in it's original "factory" configuration. What may be overlooked here is the gain of the amplifier you are driving with the PAT-5. Maybe it's gain is excessive or set too high if...
  7. 2

Anyone Familliar With The Dynaco PAT-5?

The Pat-5 manual tells how to vary the gain of the phono stage by changing specific resistor values. Obviously, someone set it up for a moving coil pickup. Change it back to the original circuit values and you should be fine.
  8. 2

Adcom Experts: Is the GFA-2 any good?

js bach: Thanks for your message. I tried TWICE (!!) to answer it using this site's private message set up and wasted two hours trying , but kept being told I hadn't logged in or some other crap. I was unable to retrieve either message that I tried to send. I have had this problem before with...
  9. 2

Adcom Experts: Is the GFA-2 any good?

I have an GFA-2, not in use presently. One thing it has that most later Adcoms lack is an effective speaker protection circuit that disconnects the speakers in the event of a variety of faults that could occur in any solid state amplifier. It also has clipping indicators that indicate when the...
  10. 2

DartZeel Amp

Nice, but obvious overkill.
  11. 2

Keeping gear out in uninsulated garage

I've had all kinds of electronics gear sitting unused in an unheated and uncooled attic for 12 years. I have yet to see any significant affect on any of it except for the normal aging and deterioration of rubber belts in cassette decks and turntables, which would happen anyway in typical indoor...
  12. 2

Loud POP, Dead new cartridge.

WaynerN is mistaken about the resultant reading using an ohmmeter to determine the condition of a magnetic cartridge coil. An open coil will show a reading of INFINITY, NOT zero ohms (which indicates a shorted coil). It is extremely unlikely that a cartridge coil will fail shorted when subjected...
  13. 2

are you a 2-chl purist

Obviously, Yes.
  14. 2

miroyu: I don't have a schematic of the RGR power amp. I have tried to find one, but failed...

miroyu: I don't have a schematic of the RGR power amp. I have tried to find one, but failed. Sorry. 2chanman
  15. 2

Potential amp speaker mismatch ?? Will it end in tears ?

Insufficient info provided. What are the manufacturers rating for each product?
  16. 2

Strain gauge cartridges

I used a so-called strain gauge cartridge for several months during the 1970's when I was employed at an audio store. It could be connected to any magnetic phono input without any special adapters required. I don't recall the manufacturer's brand name. As far as I could tell, it exhibited no...
  17. 2

Class D amps, thoughts and opinions.

I follow Paul McGowan's posts on the PS Audio website. He is the president of the company. According to him, at his direction, his engineering group just abandoned a class D amplifier project that they had been working on for the better part of a year because it just didn't sound good enough to...
  18. 2

Boston Acoustics A150 vs Avid 103

The Avid's have much better build quality compared the BA products. As to which sounds better, that is a matter of taste and opinion.
  19. 2

Large capacitors, old and new, cut in half to look inside - electrolyte

Curiosity killed the capacitors.
  20. 2

List the top 3 best sounding speakers you have ever owned.

1) Koss model one Elctrostat. 2) ESS Model AMT 10B. 3) Acoustic Research AR9.
  21. 2

Sansui A40 worth repairing?

There may be an internal primary fuse inside the transformer. It might have opened up by itself, or because of a circuit current fault within the unit.
  22. 2

Dynaco FM-5a question

The tuning lamp probably has an intermittently open filament.
  23. 2

300 watt Hi-fi power amp project.

"jegor" is right about the heat sink orientation. They will tend to impede rather than promote cooling air flow. There is so much aluminum mass however, that they may turn out to be adequate in spite of their unfavorable orientation.
  24. 2

Any harm leaving amp on all the time?

Leaving the amplifier on at all times makes it more vulnerable to any line voltage transients, particularly those that result from nearby lightning strokes. It is also wasteful of electrical energy and is a potential fire hazard. I would not risk it.
  25. 2

Trying to connect my AR-9 to my amplifier...

RHimbo, If those 4 "good" woofers are the precise same model and age as the "deteriorated" ones, the foam surrounds MUST be suspect and on the verge of failure as they are 33 years old. If you do install them and use the speaker systems, I suggest that you inspect the woofer surrounds...
Back
Top Bottom