Search results

1. A

New U-Turn Orbit on the way

This looks nice, but at that price it has some tight competition with Pro-Ject and Rega and I'd like to see a comparison with Debut Pro specifically, since that's the other turntable in that price range I'm considering. One thing that might matter to me especially is ease of changing the...
  2. A

New U-Turn model to be released

Cool! I'll be keeping an eye on this one. I liked the original U-Turn, I just wanted something a little higher-end. This might be the one to try. The Pro-Ject Debut Pro is a similar option at the same price. So it will be interesting to see how they compare.
  3. A

Technics SL-100C

Yes, thanks for that review. I often find direct comparisons between turntables lacking, or at least a comparison will be made when the turntables are using different cartridges, which, for obvious reasons, is not a fair comparison. A new Sota Sapphire costs $4000. It should sound better than...
  4. A

Technics SL-100C

Looks great! I've been waiting for the SL-100C to be available in the U.S. ever since it was first announced a year and a half ago. It just seemed like the perfect option for me, as someone who wants to be able to swap cartridges but doesn't need a built-in preamp. I think I will order one very...
  5. A

The most disappointing headphones you ever bought.

The new Hifiman R9. It's so hard to find good closed-backs and I thought these might be a decent option considering they were less than $1000. Unfortunately they were quite disappointing mainly because they let in so much external sound it was almost like using "semi-open" headphones. The whole...
  6. A

Would you spend $2800 on a cartridge ?

Maybe. But it would be because I had money to spare and other components at a similar price point. I wouldn't be expecting it to sound twice as a good as a $1500 cartridge.
  7. A

Pioneer PL-730 auto-start auto-stop not working

So, I recently purchased a PL-730 (similar to PL-5 but black and with a different-looking start-button) for almost nothing. When I got it, it had speed issues, a wobbly platter, and non-functioning auto-start. I've managed to fix the first two issues. Unfortunately the last one I haven't been...
  8. A

Rega, MOFI, VPI or ?

My issue with Rega is that you need metal "shims" to raise the VTA to use many cartridges that aren't the low-height Rega cartridges. But if you plan on using a Rega cartridge, I think the Rega might've been my choice here as well (MoFi and VPI simply too expensive for what they are). Also, the...
  9. A

The P-Mount owners club

I just picked up a NOS Audio Technica AT113LC/U Never heard of this cartridge, but a brand new nude line-contact stylus cartridge for $100 isn't too bad, I think. The only problem is I no longer own a p-mount turntable (and sold off most of my high-end p-mount cartridges; wish I hadn't done...
  10. A

Rega P3 vs. Mofi StudioDeck (or others)

I've considered a Technics. The SL-100C doesn't look like it's going to be available in the U.S., so the 1500C (with a built-in preamp I wouldn't need) is an option. There is a part of me that wants one of these minimalist belt-drives (especially since I already own a vintage Technics) but I...
  11. A

Any noticeable motor noise on the Mofi? That's one concern with these new tables.
  12. A

All I can say is that I had a U-Turn Orbit, which has the same setup and not only did the belt slip off a couple times, it eventually was at the point where I had to "nudge" it to get it going (heard that the Schiit Sol also needed to be "nudged"). I'm sure it will be better implemented in the...
  13. A

Hello everyone :D Please read the whole post before commenting. I'm sure that I have asked a similar question before, but I had not narrowed anything down and my ability to buy such a turntable was not really quite there. But I have narrowed it down further and I will be buying something by the...
  14. A

Entry Level TT's You Like

The Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Evo is a solid choice. It's superior to the original Debut Carbon, yet costs the same and comes with a Sumiko Rainier whose stylus can be upgraded. I think it's probably the best new starter table available right now.
  15. A

Fluance RT85 vs Music Hall Classic

The Evo is a great turntable; I think you will like it. I don't have one currently, but I did try one out for a little while. You could easily upgrade the Rainier to a Moonstone by just swapping the stylus or you could upgrade to an Amethyst (which would require removing the cart). I'm thinking...
  16. A

Schiit Turntable: the giant-slayer that slays giants and schiit

Aw looks like it's finally been removed from Schiit's website :(
  17. A

What TT's do you folks have

I recently came upon this Pioneer PL-9 which seems to have never been used. It still had the factory screws holding the platter in place, the RCA cable contacts were pristine silver, the cartridge looks like it's never been played. The auto-start and return movement was a little jerky and it...
  18. A

Wisdom of putting a $1200 cart on an SL-1500C?

I don't see why not. When I get the SL-100C (supposed to be a 1500C without the built-in preamp) I want to put a Hana MH on it. I think if I'm spending that much on a brand new turntable it deserves a brand new cartridge of similar caliber. :) Unfortunately can't afford either right now...but...
  19. A

What TT's do you folks have

I recently acquired this JVC QL-Y3F: I was surprised by how ginormous it is :eek: Barely fits on my rack. Still, it’s really nice. The only issue is the arm lock broke but I have the piece so I’m going to try and glue it. And I'm going to upgrade the cartridge, maybe to a moving-coil Audio...
  20. A

Did Shure stop making cartridges?

I'm disappointed that Shure stopped making cartridges right as the "Vinyl Renaissance" was getting underway. Seems like now would be the time to get into the market...
  21. A

Technics SL-100C

Technics has recently announced a new SL-100C turntable: https://electronicgroove.com/technics-announces-new-low-cost-turntable-sl-100c/ It's going to be a cheaper version of the 1500C with a cheaper cartridge (good for me since I have my own cartridges) and without the built-in preamp (also...
  22. A

Anybody NOT like colored vinyl?

I've never had one. I think they look cool, but I've never come across one in classical music.
  23. A

Should I cancel my Fluance order in favor of the new Pro-ject Debut Carbon Evo?

Interesting. I have the Evo and was wondering about the sub-platter. Is the only improvement the wow/flutter? Does it have any effect on sound that you've noticed?
Back
Top Bottom