Search results

1. Mike35

VPI Cliffwood Reviews

I have the Ortofon Blue and been pleased. I get this weird humming from turntable that I have isolated to my lights in my office. I am making a music room at home and then will move the VPI there. At that point, I may play with some other cartridges, but it really does sound amazing. I just...
  2. Mike35

VPI Cliffwood Reviews

I am glad you bought your Cliffwood and you won't be disappointed. I ended up buying the Prime Scout because it had more upgrade options. I have had it over a year and haven't changed a thing! I think they are both amazing turntables. You can't go wrong with VPI!
  3. Mike35

Best store in the mid atlantic to see the most McIntosh equipment

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I was at IQ this past weekend and they were very helpful and knowledgeable, but didn't have a ton of inventory. I have been to Audio Exchange a couple of years ago, but was really looking a turntables so I plan to go back there. I think I will make the...
  4. Mike35

Best store in the mid atlantic to see the most McIntosh equipment

I am in the process of setting up a new 2 channel room in my house. I am most interested in pairing a C2700 with a MC462, but will eventually also build a new home theater. I live in Virginia and was in Fairfax today and they were great, but didn't have a whole ton of stuff. I am trying to...
  5. Mike35

Mac1700/turntable issue

So running a piece of cheap speaker wire from the bottom of the arm to the ground reduced the hum by at least 50-75%. If I use thicker wire will I reduce it more? It is some much improved, I may let sleeping dogs lie. Or just buy a new 452 amp and a sweet pre.......
  6. Mike35

Mac1700/turntable issue

Thanks! I will try that.
  7. Mike35

Mac1700/turntable issue

The previous turntable didn't have any issues with hum. My MAC1700 has been gone through and had much replaced by my local vintage stereo repair guy who is a long time McIntosh user. I plan to try to run a wire like rocknroll1 suggested. Thank you all for your help!
  8. Mike35

Mac1700/turntable issue

How did you attach it to the spindle housing?
  9. Mike35

Mac1700/turntable issue

So I have tried it with and without the ground and it was worse without it. I am using the VPI cable that has the ground in with the cables so I can't separate it easily. I think I will just try some plain cables without a ground and see what happens. Why would you not ground the receiver...
  10. Mike35

Mac1700/turntable issue

It is not a polarized connection. I have changed all the connections in all of the various configurations and still get a hum. Thanks for the input!
  11. Mike35

Mac1700/turntable issue

I will try to run a ground between the two and see what happens. It was my dealer who feels certain it is my receiver and suggested the connection between the post and the AC outlet. I feel like your idea is a good one, but he didn't think it was related to the turntable or cartridge.
  12. Mike35

Mac1700/turntable issue

I have definitely grounded between the turntable and the receiver. I just ordered a wire that has an alligator clip to attach to the receiver and then has a plug to go in the outlet. It is supposed to arrive on Wednesday and I will post results. I am hoping this gets rid of the buzz!
  13. Mike35

Mac1700/turntable issue

I just purchased a VPI Prime Scout and had it installed/connected to my Mac1700 by the dealer at my office. When playing it, it sounds great, particularly compared to my old Sanyo, but when I change albums I can hear a "hum" coming out of my speakers and wonder if it is impacting my playback...
  14. Mike35

McIntosh MAC 1700 help

I have one also! I still need a tube for the tuner, but I find that it is definitely hot to the touch after 30-60 minutes. I have been running it that way for 8 months and it has been fine. I really like this receiver.
  15. Mike35

Mondo Macs

Wow! Those are massive and beautiful! I hope you host the Richmond Vintage Audio club sometime to show those bad boys off!
  16. Mike35

KLH Model 17

So I just got these back from having them recapped and I applying sealant. They sound super good! I am really pleased! I am amazed by the difference!
  17. Mike35

Amp or Integrated Upgrade?

Obviously, only you can make the final decision on how to spend your money, but I would go for the upgrade. It seems like the MA8900 would be much more future proof. I just recently bought a used turntable to pair with my Mac1700 and have to say that I LOVED the sound and am now researching...
  18. Mike35

VPI Cliffwood Reviews

So, I have finally seen this table and I have to say I was impressed. It is quite heavy and appears to be well built. The advisor who helped me was a huge VPI user, so he was biased, but he said he also was really impressed. We listened to it and I was all set to buy it and then I listened to...
  19. Mike35

New to Mac

Thank you for the advice! This will help sort it out.
  20. Mike35

New to Mac

After about 6 weeks, I got my new to me Mac 1700 back. The tuner still needs some work, but we really don't have great radio where I live. The plan is still to have it restored the next time I go on vacation and I can be without it for a week or so. I started listening to the 1700 via Tidal...
  21. Mike35

Very excited - just picked up an MC7300

Wow! I just turned several shades of green with huge envy. That is an amazing set-up. Where are you from in southern Maine? I grew up in Brewer and spent 4 years in Brunswick. Happy listening! Mike
  22. Mike35

VPI on AudioKarma (Official Intro)

Welcome Mat! We look forward to your insights! Especially us newbies! Mike
  23. Mike35

VPI Cliffwood Reviews

I have been e-mailing with Mat Weisfeld and I must say I am very impressed with his customer service! He has gone out of his way to find a place for me to demo one of these tables. Unfortunately, the nearest one is about 4.5 hours from me. I do plan to try one though in the next 6 weeks as I...
  24. Mike35

VPI Cliffwood Reviews

If you do, please report back. The two dealers in VA don't have them in stock, so it is going to be hard to listen to one. I plan to check DC next.
  25. Mike35

VPI Cliffwood Reviews

What do people think about this table? Are there better at this price point? I know it is relatively new, so there may not be many people who have played with one. Thanks, Mike
Back
Top Bottom