Search results

1. Catmanboo

Denon DRA-565RD left channel bass is very weak

Very clean in & out, thrift store $12 score. In ops checking, left channel mid- hi freq response sounds fine, but bass is almost non-existent. DC offset both channels is 0-1 mV, nothing amiss there. Further snoopin' around, I find out that the bass pot has no bearing on the left channel bass...
  2. Catmanboo

Blonder-tongue AC-35-1000 distribution amp input voltage

I have here an older version of this still-available unit that takes a wall wart of unknown AC output voltage. Thinking of using it in my redesigned/ upgraded fm omni antenna system-to-be. Current models have an AC line cord, this has internal bridge rectification for the low-voltage external...
  3. Catmanboo

Save or scrap?

Very old 8 ohm Jensen 6×9's from a pair of curbmart homebrew big cabinets I snagged late last fall. They were 1 of 4 drivers in each cabinet (At least the 8" woofers were good). Don't know if re-surrounding 6×9 vintage whizzer-cone speakers is a thing, or even possible. I'm leaning to...
  4. Catmanboo

Realistic Electrostat 2a

Picked up a pair at the local thrift store the other day, price too good to walk away from, for a gamble. Didn't need, but I've no experience with electrostatics, so learning curve here. Upon opening, I found 2 new replacement woofers, all original-looking parts on the power supply board. Fuses...
  5. Catmanboo

Marantz 24 service manual accuracy

Saw no mention of any in the appropriate thread here on the subject. As I understand, these are somewhat scarce models ( tuner-in- preamp), so I'm not too surprised to find no reference to them. Doesn't mean there are no screw-ups in the manual though. As time allows, I'll attempt to find...
  6. Catmanboo

mikemurph6...

...has a number of Marantz & Mac service manuals on the market, which I partook of. Manual arrived exceptionally well-packed to survive falling off the truck into a puddle on a busy road. It's also in perfect condition. Well worth the coin! Thanks Mike!:thumbsup:
  7. Catmanboo

Thevinoman...

...The rapid-response shipper, somehow got the item I purchased from n.w. Indiana to n.e. Ohio in less time than I thought possible. Incredible packing job to boot. Tnx Jim, me most happy!:D
  8. Catmanboo

The 5-second fix

Patient: Pioneer A7 integrated amp. Symptom: intermittent Line Straight push-button function, aka tone /balance control bypass. Corrective action: With cover removed, functionality restored, or so it sermed. I assumed the worst, as the switch is a closed-frame type. How to squirt contact...
  9. Catmanboo

Interchangeability of ceramic disc for mylar/ paper tubular caps

I'm rounding up parts for a refresh of a Leak Stereo 20. There are 2 .0002/350volt caps in it. Oem are tubular, I have old-stock 600v tubular plus 1kv-rated ceramics I'm considering. Thoughts & working-experience opinions appreciated!:)
  10. Catmanboo

Pioneer wood cabinets for component systems

Just curious, we're they optional or not offered? I'm currently using my tx-7500 tuner in living room system. The finish on the steel case is compromised by an apparently weak paint job & looks like - well, crappy. Rather than strip/repaint, I'd rather have a wood cabinet for it. It's feeding an...
  11. Catmanboo

Dynaco- kits vs. factory built

I have an sca-80Q that I'm planning some upgrades to. As mine has a serial number tag on back & QC stamp inside,as well as everything on back panel riveted, I'm wondering if that's signs of a factory build. Anyone here ever built one from a kit way back then?
  12. Catmanboo

Modded rat shack min.7's

Found in local thrift store today, $12/pair. Like I need another pair of these, but--they have Motorola horns where the tweeters used to be! I figured maybe these were a last-minute upgraded version prior to the shack going tits-up. Got 'em home in the saddlebags on my bike, put in the sun to...
  13. Catmanboo

Hickok sa-10 octal adapter

I ran across one in my possession, had continuity on only 2 of the 8 pins. Part no. 1050-171. What is this used for? No reference in my 533a ops manual. Tnx for any insight forthcoming!
  14. Catmanboo

Marantz 6100 running a tad slow

Back in my A.F. days in n.w. turkey where base power was 50 Hz & quite shaky, I used to build up motor shafts with solder when I worked pro bono in the base electronic shop :wtf: hell, it worked! That way, easy to undo after return stateside PCS. On this, it's a 2-step shaft for a belt-drive...
  15. Catmanboo

Burnt transistor identification

Picked up this battery clock cheap in the local thrift to see if I can fix. Clock mov't dead, no problem as I have replacement. Neon ring tube is powered by a wall-wart AC supply of indeterminate voltage ,which is missing. AC, I assume due to onboard bridge rectification (d1-d4). No sweat, just...
  16. Catmanboo

Sony st-jx410 tuning increment adjustment

Bench testing at the thrift store,AM is tuning in 9 kHz increments as used in Europe & maybe elsewhere. How to convert to 10 kHz? No visible switch inside or out. Fwiw, the memory backup battery is stone dead.( cr2025, tabbed version soldered in place) 120v 60hz North American market unit...
  17. Catmanboo

Mitsubishi lt-5v

I have a friend with one, it's been unused for several years. I recently brought over speakers, a big sub & associated cables to reactivate her onkyo tx-8500 rcvr, also hoping tt would function, but- no luck. When activated, the arm moves slowly, in jerky motions until aligned with edge of lp...
  18. Catmanboo

Time and the Elac 770H

Time eventually ruins everything, no? As in stiffening rubber parts, belts break or go gooey, electrolytic caps going tits up, bulbs burn out, damn foam surrounds rot, dial cords sag or break, ad nauseum. On my 770H there once was a stylus timer, a thin tube that somehow disappeared over...
  19. Catmanboo

Class act, eiraved

Just closed the most seamless, well-timed transaction I've ever had on AK with @eiraved . As soon as I spoke for said item, he packed (very securely, I might add) & shipped same day, on faith alone, coincidentally as my payment shipped. Both destinated within a couple hours of each other...
  20. Catmanboo

Pro packer,@Johnny_law

I feel like it's christmas today! Just found a very professionally-packaged parts unit Elac TT on my porch. I could've lobbed this thing off my 2nd-story roof with no ill effects. 2nd delivery from AKers today.Only took 5 days. USPS, take heed, pay attention! Good job, man!:beerchug:
  21. Catmanboo

HBTim, what a guy!

Here's karma. I recently shipped a freebie to another one of us on BT. Today, a gift tube from @HBTim occupied my mailbox on this ass-freezing day. I shall keep up the karma for mutual benefits, it does one good to help another kindred soul. Thanks, bud!:beerchug:
  22. Catmanboo

1000A serial number location

Is it anywhere on the chassis, or only on the metal case? Mine was loaned out to a relative long ago. I recommended running it without it for heat dissipation. He had a house fire, no damage to the rcvr, but the case disappeared, possibly in the clean-up. I've looked all over this thing, no s/n...
  23. Catmanboo

Rex runner divesting

Having met &dealt with him, I can attest to the fact that one has nothing to be apprensive about. Honest, not a bs artist. He's in divest mode, deals to be had unlike we're used to seeing on bt. Can't miss, from my experience. Jerry
  24. Catmanboo

Sticky power switch in my 1060

While making a set of jumpers for the 1060 since I want to rotate it into one of my systems, I noticed the power button sticking & dragging thru the cycle. Probably others have experienced this, my question prior to pulling & attempting to remedy is: is this a sign of impending failure due to...
  25. Catmanboo

Hickok tester settings re:5ar4/gz34

I have a hickok 533a, s/n 81 12135, roll chart dated 1 Apr 61. 5ar4 not listed. Need setup data . Test data for 533a, 533dm, 534e , 600a, 605 should be same. Even better yet, where can I source more current data charts for this thing? Any info much appreciated! Jerry
Back
Top Bottom