Search results

1. PiotrekN

Access to the speed sensor on Sansui SR-636

My Sansui SR-636 TT has been unstable recently and I'm looking for some advice on how to access the speed sensor in order to clean the slotted disc. This TT went through a professional restoration three years ago that covered restoring electronics, so my hope is that perhaps cleaning the sensor...
  2. PiotrekN

Sansui SR-636 protective film removal?

Thanks Guys, the 636 is a fantastic table indeed and I love mine. The previous owner(s?) never took off that film on mine and the film had a yellowish tint after all these years. The best thing about the styling of 636/838 is that it does look modern also today, many of friends who visit us...
  3. PiotrekN

Sansui SR-636 protective film removal?

It took a while, but here is a short update: just last weekend I decided to take the protective film off. It came off in pieces, unfortunately, some larger, some being just tiny shreds. The film left a yellowish residue that looked horrible, fortunately it came off with a bit of IPA and a lot of...
  4. PiotrekN

Sansui SR-636 alignment adventures

Here is one more thought: as I mentioned in the first post, the specs for both SR-636 and SR-838 have a quite serious mistake: they give the overhang in both mm and inches, however the values in different units do not agree. We have 16.1 mm and 11/16"=17.46mm. Below is an excerpt from the Sansui...
  5. PiotrekN

So just as an update, I double checked everything. The measurement of the length of the tonearm is actually quite tricky to do and upon trying to do it a couple of more times I realized very small movement at the supposed pivot point can give different results. After redoing it my tonearm seems...
  6. PiotrekN

I don't have a ruler wide enough to measure that other distance, the narrow ruler does have support points when it is inserted there. However I do agree that the installation of the wand might be the only reasonable explanation. The problem is, I am not sure I want to experiment with it, and...
  7. PiotrekN

Below are my photos - all this can be a bit inaccurate, but it does seem that my tonearm with the headshell is slightly longer than yours. That is interesting and I wonder what is the reason.
  8. PiotrekN

VTA could not be responsible for this - with a stylus to pivot distance of 230mm a change of 1mm in height at the base of the tonearm corresponds to approx. 1/100mm change in the effective length. However, yes, my tonearm is level, adjusted it not long ago for the new cartridge. I think this all...
  9. PiotrekN

I took a close look at the picture with the four headshells: it seems to me that in the two on the left the ring on the connector is noticeably thinner than in the two on the right. In particular, the Sansui SV-43 cart looks like being mounted on the one with a thinner connector. Is this...
  10. PiotrekN

Very interesting. I can't imagine the tonearm being moved in any way without leaving some marks on the plinth. In the photos with the gauge, isn't it the case that the stylus tip is in fact shifted back in relation to the mark on the headshell? It looks from the photos like the the tip of the...
  11. PiotrekN

Let me start by saying WOW!!! You have four of these headshells! They are quite rare and certainly not easy to find. I am happy that I have one -- but four! Nice!!! :thumbsup: As for the alignment, here are some of my photos. As you can see the mark on the headshell and the tip of the stylus...
  12. PiotrekN

Is the mark on your SR-838 headshell at the same spot as the one I posted above? I would be curious to know.
  13. PiotrekN

Indeed, what the "best" alignment depends on several factors, most importantly what kind of records does one have/play. In my case I have plenty of jazz albums that are cut quite hot, run close to the label and more often than not the ending of a piece involves all the instruments going off...
  14. PiotrekN

By the way, as an additional comment, below is a table with all the data calculated by the VE Tonearm Calculator. Again, "Arm 1" is the Sansui published data of the Mass Concentrated Fulcrum tonearm on the SR-636 and SR-838. The only fixed parameter here is the pivot-2-spindle distance of...
  15. PiotrekN

I went through the process of perfecting the alignment on my Sansui SR-636 and I found out that there is plenty of information on the web regarding this table and the SR-838 that perhaps might be a bit misleading, so I thought I'll post the few observations I had along the way. The alignment for...
  16. PiotrekN

G-7000 dimensions with cooling fins

I know... I also started thinking about a G-8000 after your post... it would fit nicely edge to edge, only the knobs would stick out over the edge, which is fine... :thumbsup:
  17. PiotrekN

Thanks! This is extremely helpful, as this means I could EASILY fit the G-7000 onto my 45cm deep shelf, even with a bit of room to spare! Great news :)
  18. PiotrekN

Actually, if anyone would have depth of a G-6000 with and without fins it would determine if the official depth listed in the manuals includes the fins or not.
  19. PiotrekN

Below is the picture of the listening space in my living room, the G-7000 would replace the G-301 I currently have, but as you can see I don't have much room to maneuver. Basically, the 2-3cm might be a deal breaker if it would push the faceplate over the edge - it would just look bad. Too bad...
  20. PiotrekN

So I ask about dimensions, and you tell me to remodel my house?... thanks... :no::rflmao:
  21. PiotrekN

Hifiengine lists the "depth" of the Sansui G-7000 as 422mm. However, this receiver has fairly large cooling fins sticking out the back - can anyone tell me if the 422mm is with the cooling fins, or is just the cabinet? And what does it measure *with* the fins? I am looking to buy a G-7000 but...
  22. PiotrekN

Norah Jones sibilance distortion on Blue Note reissue of "Come away with me"

This comparison is very helpful! As I mentioned, I do not have an adjustable preamp, but I do have experience with guitar amps and this sibilance distortion sounds exactly like a bit too much gain. When you say "change loading" is this the same as changing gain? Given the current prices of the...
  23. PiotrekN

Just checked the prices on that 45 rpm Norah Jones box set - 300EUR on discogs, 700USD on amazon... I might have to live with the sibilance a while longer... o_O:rflmao:
  24. PiotrekN

Wow. I know some/many of these reissues are from digital masters, but I would think that a reputable label would have a separate digital master for vinyl, not just use the version for DVD. I have a Blue Note reissue of Blue Train from 2014 and never had any problems with it. However, the DVD-A...
  25. PiotrekN

I would expect the 45 rpm version to sound much better (or at least different), this 2015 Blue Note reissue is 33.3 rpm. If this is the case then this would explain it, but I somehow can't believe a label like Blue Note would put a DVD-A master directly on vinyl. Could this really happen?
Back
Top Bottom