Search results

1. rjohn

Sansui 881

Thanks. As you have probably read already, I sold it to a gentleman willing to do the work himself. I had the repair manual with schematics and it showed several fuses in the power section. I wondered if they could simply need to be replaced, but then there's the question of why they blew...
  2. rjohn

Sansui 881

Thank you. I actually knew of this business but did not know they do repairs on equipment. A gentleman from Medford, Oregon wanted it and I sold it to him for $300. I'm happy with that price and so is he. He's going to rebuild it himself for his daughter so it went to a good home. Now that I...
  3. rjohn

Sansui 881

Thank you. Repairing it would definitely be my preference but when I called a professional facility I was advised it would be too costly ($600-$800) and not worth it. I'm going to list it on E-Bay for repair/not working.
  4. rjohn

Sansui 881

I have a Sansui 881 that I put away years ago because it has issues. Now I'm wondering if I should just sell it for parts or is it worth the expense of having it fixed? I am not knowledgeable enough to attempt to repair it myself. I live in Redding, Ca and I don't think there is a local tech so...
  5. rjohn

What did you grow up with?

My dad was a tinkerer all his life. I'm 76 years old now but I still remember him building his own receiver from a mail order kit when I was about 6 years old. He bought a unique console tv that had the picture tube pointed straight up onto a large mirror that folded up out of the cabinet. We...
  6. rjohn

Treble bad on one channel on Marantz 2285.

I definitely do not have the knowledge to work on the unit myself. Does anyone have a recommendation where to send it in the northern California area? I live in Redding, Ca. about 150 miles north of Sacramento.
  7. rjohn

Good idea. How do I go about doing that?
  8. rjohn

I have two sets of speakers hooked to my Marantz 2285B, The treble on the right side is scratchy and blurry when operating on speaker system one. When I switch the speakers so these same Infinity CS 3007 are running on speaker system 2 all the treble problems go away so I assume the problem is...
  9. rjohn

Question on Infinity ES 83s

I have a further question I forgot to ask. All the literature I see here and all over the internet says these speakers are 8 ohm yet mine have stickers that specifically state they are 4 ohm. The original advertising for these Infinity speakers stressed they could be used with low power amps...
  10. rjohn

Question on Infinity ES 83s

I recently picked up a set of Infinity ES 83s at a garage sale just to save them from the dump. I have them all refoamed and replaced the disintegrated passive radiators with aftermarket ones. Upon playing them they seem to have marginal bass. I did a little research and found a thread about...
  11. rjohn

How to record

I spent a long time cleaning the heads and transport system and everything is much better. I received my Maxwell tapes today and recorded over one. It came out very clean and nice . The only thing is, after I record I can still hear the old recording I am taping over. I don't know whether it's...
  12. rjohn

Is this dirt or a bad head?

I just recorded an entire tape of Sting songs (one of my favorites...to each his own). While the recording itself came out really well,. I could hear the other side of the tape in the background. I am currently recording to that side of the tape with nothing hooked to the deck so, theoretically...
  13. rjohn

I had already brought the deck back in the house and hooked it up before I read your post. Next time I will use the wood q tip trick to clean out the remaining residue from the cracks and crevices I couldn't get to. As far as the groove you saw, it's not there. It must have just been crud I had...
  14. rjohn

I just recently acquired this r to r. I've never had one before. I did use the cleaner on all the components of the tape path. I did not take the cover off the heads, but just cleaned them with a q tip so this stuff may have always been there as it does not come off easily and the heads are hard...
  15. rjohn

I have read that the heads on a r to r should be bright and shiny. Mine are not. I have tried cleaning this brown residue of with repeated scrubbing with a Q tip soaked with S-721H. Initially I was getting some brown off onto the Q tip but now just about nothing is coming off. I still think this...
  16. rjohn

Infinity ES83 speakers

I'm not sure the white foam with the hole in it is even functional. When you look through the hole there is a regular looking tweeter back there. The white foam is just sprayed on a wire mesh more like a dust cap. I have ordered new passives and foams. When it's all over I'm resigned to loosing...
  17. rjohn

How to record

There's not a chance in hell I'll ever get this set up by a tech as the nearest one is probably over a hundred miles away (Sacramento, Ca) if there's even one there. The garage sale tape I'm using is a Maxell low noise, high output tape. I have some Maxell UD tapes ordered as one member told me...
  18. rjohn

How to record

I just discovered that if I push the low filter button on the Marantz it helps clean up the muddy, boomy bass. I have never used these buttons before as I could not tell that they did anything, but in this case it does. Does that give a clue as to what's going on?
  19. rjohn

How to record

Thanks, that was going to be my default action but I thought I'd better check with the experts first. Too bad it won't just record in reverse, that would be so much easier. On another note. I just completed recording one side of a tape from an FM radio station. It sounded really good through the...
  20. rjohn

How to record

I'm just learning how to use my new r to r Akai GX-280D-SS. I have it all pretty well figured out except how to record on the second "side" of a tape. I have recorded the full side and now wish to record the other side. The instructions in the manual are cryptic to say the least. The sum total...
  21. rjohn

Wood glue method of cleaning vinyl

Apparently this has been around for a long time but I'd never heard of it. Has anyone tried it? I wouldn't use a good turntable to do this but I have a couple of old cheap turntables that are pretty much junk that I could use. I'm thinking I might have to put blue tape down first because any...
  22. rjohn

Question on Ohms

I went to Mat Electronics and they are out of the 10" foam surrounds I need for the passive radiators. Since they are not really speakers would the paper surrounds they have in stock work?
  23. rjohn

Infinity ES83 speakers

Well I bought these. They were junk, not even Infinity speakers. Weighed about half what mine do, surrounds were crushed with bubble wrap, radiators did not fit. At least he refunded my money. You win some, you lose some. I've had some great deals on E-bay, this just wasn't one of them.
  24. rjohn

Question on Ohms

Thank you, that's kind of what I understood from looking at another post but you put it much more succinctly.
  25. rjohn

Infinity ES83 speakers

Well, after waiting all this time the parts came in from an e-bay seller to fix the ES 83s. He had a package deal listed featuring both speakers and the passive radiators all in one lot for a very good price. They came today and are just junk. The passive radiators are completely different than...
Back
Top Bottom