Search results

1. mike_drop

Noise in one channel on my Nikko 7070 - Help needed

Hi there, sorry to revive an old thread but I'm having a similar issue and was wondering if you could expand on step five above in a little more detail. Of course, I'll start with a good control cleaning and looking for anything amiss under the hood first and also the suggested fuse mount check...
  2. mike_drop

JBL le14c speakers and LX 2-1

I feel like I already asked on here (sorry I tabled this project a few weeks), does anyone know of a trusted tech in IL for getting these re-foamed?
  3. mike_drop

Ok the parts have all arrived. The clear plastic banana posts fit perfect! Mine came with plastic/hard rubber seats that fit the original holes perfectly. Here’s a link to Amazon for anyone else trying this upgrade. I believe I have the right capacitor values and I’ve rigged this right to start...
  4. mike_drop

Looks great! Those ports have me rethinking the original owners cardboard ones... Sigh, more $$$ lol. Did your banana speaker connects require any re-drilling? Mine get here tomorrow. I went with a similar style off of Amazon- with the clear plastic covers. Hope they work out with little effort...
  5. mike_drop

A piece of history thrift find ( Advent Model 201 Tape Deck with papers)

Now will someone give me a gosh darn recommendation for paint for my 201??? hahaha Where are the hardcore resto guys??? :rflmao:
  6. mike_drop

All interesting points ^^^ My walkman happens to have a EQ on it. So I maybe it wont be that noticeable.
  7. mike_drop

This is what I plan on doing with mine. I wanna start making mix tapes using my LPs. I don't know a whole lot about cassettes... Are you saying if I make a mix tape on the 201 and play it on my Walkman WM-F43, it will have elevated highs and noise, due to the Dolby? Sorry for my ignorance...
  8. mike_drop

I mean, he is a Late Boomer hahaha Thanks for the feedback, btw. After some thought, I think I'll stick with the black. I don't think any other color will do that shiny chrome justice. I mocked up a teal using a photo app and it looked dumb lol. Anyone have a suggestions as to how to approach...
  9. mike_drop

Hi all, hoping someone can help... I got and Advent 201 a while back and I'm noticing some motor noise going on when I power it up. I don't feel like the noise sneaks into the playback and it seems to play/sound great (to my ears at least), but I am curious if the motor noise is something to be...
  10. mike_drop

New grease and oil for old turntables?

Oh ok, well that's the paste that's actually available to me here in the states. I just wanted to make sure it was the "G-n" version that's to be used and there wasn't a strictly "G" variant. Thanks for clarifying!
  11. mike_drop

New grease and oil for old turntables?

Hi there, can you provide a pic or link to the Molykote G paste? I’m only seeing Molykote G-Rapid paste or Molykote G-n (gun paste?) online and don’t want to order the wrong one. Got my recent Dual 1019 acquisition all cleaned up and ready for lube! Much much much appreciated!
  12. mike_drop

JBL C56 Dorian "score" turns out to be the dumbest speaker I've ever seen

@tarior Ok, sounds good. I'll give that a shot and report back. Thanks!
  13. mike_drop

@tarior Oh ok, so you’d recommend a recap in the crossovers, refoam, and tuning. I’m down to give it a shot- especially cause I’ve got zero $ in this so far, plus after some critical listening tonight I really see some potential in these bad boys- BUT I do have some trouble shooting to do after...
  14. mike_drop

@WillRobinson Interesting. There’s a lot of similarities here, so you might be onto something. I was told by the PO that it was custom built, but maybe that’s what she meant. Very nice quality compared to what I’ve seen and worked on before re: the wood and craftsmanship. If it is a Barzilay...
  15. mike_drop

https://youtu.be/VeIxLOjm100 @elitopus I wasn’t familiar actually, but I’m seeing now In the threads they get stiff and change the performance? I’m not sure if mine are “too stiff” yet. Please let me know what you think in the attached videos. I’m able to carefully push in the center of the...
  16. mike_drop

That’s fair, but what I’m trying to figure out is if anyone knew if the JBL LE14C ‘s can sound good with the right receiver(in this case the 500-C) or if it’s a better idea to econo-wave them like some posters have mentioned.
  17. mike_drop

Hi all, Resurrecting an old thread that seems to fit my situation pretty well. I happened across what I feel like is a pretty unheard of score... I was perusing Facebook marketplace and noticed a very unique looking record console listed...FOR FREE. I’ve been obsessed with consoles for a while...
  18. mike_drop

Advent 5002 / 5012 Tweeter Voice Coil Repair or Replacement?

Though I have now found/purchased a replacement tweeter, I’m curious if knows of you can actually repair the old botched tweeter. Would be nice to have an original back up seeing these replacements get rarer by the day. Your input is appreciated!
  19. mike_drop

Thanks! Yeah I saw those, but the round magnet and reviews had me nervous about it being a good fit. Plus the price tag... I found ONE original 5002 tweeter this afternoon on eBay(thankfully all I need is one). $25 + shipping, so I jumped on it. It was dented also, but I’ll get the majority of...
  20. mike_drop

Hi all, been a while. I happened across an affordable pair of 5002’s and finished my refoam the other day. The tweeters had dents in them and my OCD couldn’t get past the tiny dimples left over from the “tape trick”. Should have just let it be. Anyways, without doing ANY research like an...
  21. mike_drop

Dumont/Emerson consoles- trash or treasure?

Sorry, typo. You’re correct- .033. That’s good to know. I guess I’ll just go by what’s “under the hood”. Thanks! Update: Ah hah! There they are! Som’ B! I think I stared at the schem for an hour. Making my parts list... here’s another question- do people actually seek out the paper caps...
  22. mike_drop

Nice! I had a feeling it was a worthwhile piece. Its very unique and looked nicer than all the common console names I’d seen. Hadn’t ever really heard of Dumont so I liked the idea of having a rarer console. I thought it was somewhere closer to ‘65 though. I actually have the original manual and...
  23. mike_drop

Ed, you da man. Once I googled cheater cord all sorts of stuff that looks like what I need cues up. Very helpful! Thanks!
  24. mike_drop

Hey all, does anyone know where I might be able to find a power cable for this console? It didn’t come with it so I’m at a loss. Also, a little precursor/background on the situation- I decided to rebuild the guts of the console in hindsight. Originally I wanted just the cabinet and was going to...
  25. mike_drop

Audio Technica AT-LP120USB Super Mod Thread

Ugh... sorry. Not tracking this thread very well on my phone. I can feel the face palms. Haha Thank you! I had seen that site late last night but it looked like they only took PayPal. Ordered!
Back
Top Bottom