Search results

1. I

What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Pictures at an Exhibition : Mussorgsky. EMI Angel Eminence 4AE-34419 Compact Cassette : Dolby B / HX Pro Sony TC-D5M / Sony ZS-BTG900
  2. I

Which oil for Sony PS-2250? OL-2K type?

My suggestion would be Motor Cycle Fork Oil. Probably SAE 10, as I think that's the max. Difficult to blend up to 15 weight. My Sony TTS-4000 needs oil, so if anyone has any definitive info, please comment. The service manual calls for OL-2K.
  3. I

Vinyl only spin list

Vangelis - Antarctica (original 1983 Japanese pressing).
  4. I

Vinyl only spin list

The Planets - Isao Tomita. (early USA pressing).
  5. I

Tape-based play list

Greatest Hits Vol II - Earth Wind and Fire (Nakamichi 700-TT) Frighteners Movie Sound Track - Danny Elfman (Nakamichi RX-202)
  6. I

Seattle - Urgent

Many thanks guys. And as a co-incidence she called me yesterday to say she had already discovered Easy Street Records!(she liked the store, and the fact that they sell coffee!). James, I like your line of thought regarding my wife, thanks for the enthusiasm. However, vinyl is a sore point, she...
  7. I

Systemdek 1 turntable

If it plays at the right speed, and assuming it has a reasonable arm, you are good to go. There really isn't much too them. The quality in a Systemdek comes from you spending the time to set it up right. Level it, level the suspension, do your cartridge geometry (use as nice a cart as you can...
  8. I

Seattle - Urgent

Hi Guys. My wife is in Seattle for a few days. Are there any (real) record stores left in Seattle? I'm talking vinyl, preferably used. I'm about to build a list for her, stuff ranging from Kraftwerk to Portishead. Many thanks for any help on this. Ian
  9. I

Vinyl only spin list

A Night at Studio 54 - Various Artists (1979 LP). Not a brilliant disco compilation, but of interest because it is produced by Ian Schrager & Steve Rubell (the original owners of Studio 54). Also, it is "sequenced" so it at least has a club feel to it. - Ian.
  10. I

12AX7 recognition

Your knowledge and assistance is required. I have recently been given these two 12AX7 tubes. I know the right hand one (see photo) is a Philips-Mullard with the code "B7D3" and also "163" Although the "1" could be anything. Is it 1957, 67, or 77? What has me baffled completely, is the left hand...
  11. I

12ax7 upgrade recommendations

I knocked up some photos of the factory supplied Tung-Sol 12AX7's in the Tube Box SE II, shown with the heat-sinks I mentioned earlier... http://homepage.mac.com/iant1/TubeBoxSEII/ - Ian.
  12. I

"Recommended, but with caution" means if the cool sound of this amp is simply from having a pair of 12AX7's in the circuit, then you might want to save some money and try a Belllari VP129 ($250) or the Pro-Ject Tube Box II ($400). I am wondering if the extra expense is because the SE II has five...
  13. I

Pro-Ject Tube Box SE II. Now that I have had some time to familiarize myself with this unit, and it has had some time to settle down, I'd like to comment on it's acoustic character. Circa 50 hours. All auditions performed after one hour pre-heat. The first thing to say about this phono stage is...
  14. I

Home made tubes

Sorry if this has been posted twenty times before, but I was so impressed with this gentleman's skills that I thought I would share - The video is at the bottom of the page... http://paillard.claude.free.fr/ - Ian
  15. I

Dave, they are not dampers, definitely heat-syncs. I should have photographed them when I had them out. The cabinet is not closed, it has two holes at the back for the 12AX7's to pop through. You can only see the tops of the tubes (getter flash). The holes are just big enough to pull out the...
  16. I

Quick update. If forgot to mention (not that it matters) that this amp is the Pro-Ject Tube Box II SE. Not the basic version I was originally going to order. The tubes in it are Tung-Sol 12AX7. Or at least that is what they look like (99% visual match). They have circular heat-syncs (finned)...
  17. I

Awesome responses, many thanks to all for taking the time. Mr. Lin. I will indeed try to post my findings once I get it warmed through. It arrives Wednesday. Sorry I'm late responding to this post as I've spent all night assessing two Reel to Reel decks. One or the other will be used for spares...
  18. I

Hi, I've just ordered a Pro-Ject Tube Box II phono pre-amp. I am thinking to the future for possible 12AX7 upgrades. Turntable is a Systemdek IIX with a Jelco arm and DL-103 cart. BTW, what are the "Pro-Ject" branded 12ax7's? Can anyone recommend both new and NOS tubes for me to keep an eye...
  19. I

Denon DL-103 resistance issue

Fred, thank you for your succinct reply. That's exactly what I needed to know. - Ian.
  20. I

Denon DL-103 resistance issue

I have just ordered a brand new Denon DL-103 cartridge, and whilst waiting for it's arrival I have just discovered a user manual for my amp - the Rotel RA-840B. I notice that it's MC input is rated at 200uv/330ohms. I do not know the ohms value of the 103, does this sound compatible? Or will I...
  21. I

Systemdek IIX tech

No go. It did not work with a 220 ohm 1/4 (0.25)W. Since that was the closest they had at my local Radio Shack. Any suggestions are welcome. - Ian.
  22. I

Systemdek IIX tech

Thanks Mutha. Of course, it's AC I forgot. Should get that resistor later today. - Ian.
  23. I

Systemdek IIX tech

Many Thanks! Awesome! That's what I needed to know. No, it's not the electronic version. Phase inverter - I meant the whole board not the resistor. Thanks again, I'll run up to Radio Shack and grab one tomorrow. - Ian. PS Is there a way to fine tune the motor speed?
  24. I

Systemdek IIX tech

Can anyone help out with a circuit diagram (component values) of this deck. I have a cracked resistor (it's arching) and I can't read the value bands off it as it's slightly fried and discolored. Any other info would be welcome too. I don't know the year but I have the serial number: 314072...
  25. I

Marantz ST170AV PM170AV Info?

170 watts per channel. It is of a separate pre/power design so you can remove the shorting pin on the back and use it as a power amp (if I'm not mistaken). I believe the year is 1986. This amp has just saved my bacon, as the Rotel could not produce any bass at higher volume levels. With the...
Back
Top Bottom