Search results

1. John Ess

The best 6SN7 just might be a 6J5-GT, 6J5-G or a British made L 63.

So what do you do for the first build of something? Where do you start making a choice?
  2. John Ess

But that's BangyBang territory there....decent pairs can be found for reasonable money, especially if you can handle metal tubes.
  3. John Ess

You can't measure this kind of stuff....although maybe it's possible to measure the smile on my face when I connected it to my amp and turned it on the first time. I'll gladly purchase an extra octal socket for these tubes.
  4. John Ess

Well the EL34's will be in UL mode. The SE KT88 amp runs small pentodes triode connected for drivers and they work very nicely. So I thought I'd try it with the older 6J7's, especially since RCA showed them being used in at least one schematic in the 1940 manual. Let's see if there's any of that...
  5. John Ess

Lots of pluses to these older tubes...never mind that they..the G bottles..are nice to look at. Interesting that you mention the 6J7...I'm just waiting for iron for the next amp and I'm planning on those triode connected to drive SE EL34's. Should be good.
  6. John Ess

LOL...that's what it's all about. I'd keep it as simple as possible. I didn't even put any source switching in just to maintain that minimal approach. The only other possible addition for me would be a 12.6v transformer to be able to swap in some 12J5's. Maybe build on a chassis that's a little...
  7. John Ess

I looked up that transformer...it shouldn't have any problem powering those tubes. I see mine more as "proof of concept" and would build it again, placing things just a little differently. But yes, mine is also dead quiet. I took care to turn the tube sockets so that filament wiring would have...
  8. John Ess

I'm not finding any issue with sound quality. I can't imagine it sounding any better. Did you place the volume control as Matt suggested? I ended up putting in a Goldpoint stepped attenuator and standard Audio Note filter caps...just a little more detail and smoothness.
  9. John Ess

I used a 50va 280v toroidal from AnTek. OP I went with was 5ma @ 135v...-4 on the grid. B+ is 360vdc. That transformer also has dual 6.3v secondary windings. I didn't need the gain so I decided to try without the bypass caps. I should have written the description differently. Should say "partial...
  10. John Ess

You've got a long way to go to out perform some round plate Sylvania 6J5's for sheer musicality. Running a pair in my preamp...super simple grounded cathode built around Matt's Universal Preamp. I went with Vishay SiC Schottky for rectifiers and a single HLMP-6000 LED on each for partial cathode...
  11. John Ess

Kegger/blueglow kt88 project

Maybe even more :thumbsup:
  12. John Ess

Kegger/blueglow kt88 project

I know this will probably raise a few hackles around here, but I finished a build of this amp a couple months ago and after reading all the bad experiences with Edcor power trans and new production 5AR4's, I decided to take the less traveled path. I wanted to try and have the fewest issues to...
  13. John Ess

Using Vintage receivers for A.M. DXing?

With this band, much of your reception quality hangs on the antenna. A good chunk of wire...100' or more..along with a good ground and selectable bandwidth makes for some great DX. Used to love cranking the filter open on my Hammarlund Super Pro 600...great audio with those powerhouse stations.
  14. John Ess

Magnum Dynalab St-2: How does it work?

You have to remember that this calculator is intended more for antennas that will be used to transmit on. So the tuning is more critical...a little mistuning on a receive antenna isn't going to make a ton of difference as long as it's not crazy out of tune. I've built slim jims for several ham...
  15. John Ess

What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Hmmm...philosophical fiction or non fiction...Siddhartha-Hesse...Steppenwolf-Hesse...Doors of Perception-Huxley...Be Here Now-Ram Dass...Electric Kool Aid Acid Test-Wolfe...and Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance- Pirsig..all good reads.
  16. John Ess

Good to have a few reminders though. The amps I have are for scanner use, so are broadbanded, but at least they're low noise amps inside.Even without any filtering it will show if some gain helps. Just gotta get into the back room.
  17. John Ess

Hmmm...good suggestions. I'll have to investigate. I do have a couple preamps to try...just a matter of digging them out. I've tried to avoid that approach because they sometimes just make things worse if the front end of the tuner can't handle it but both preamps have adjustable gain. I've had...
  18. John Ess

Teaser and the Firecat...sounds really good on the Senns.
  19. John Ess

Yeah...it was a whole different side of life...lots of good memories and Colombian red. We actually lived just outside Tampa..Seffner...little town that's actually where Big Daddy Don is from. Had an unsanctioned drag strip just across the street too.
  20. John Ess

Nice work
  21. John Ess

When I left Mass. at the tender age of 19 to try living in Fla, it was in a snowstorm on New Years day 1971. I was with 3 other guys...one of those crazy things you do post HS. And we knew people there already in the Tampa area. Sold everything I could, packed a big duffle bag, and sailed off...
  22. John Ess

That was a good suggestion...
  23. John Ess

Got classic rock on...WPTR. Been a struggle with this station over the summer. Signal has been really flaky and can't figure out why, especially after I built a compact 2 element antenna..the 250 watt station's transmitter site is only about 10 miles away...and trying to talk to the station...
  24. John Ess

Nice on the Sony...used to have one of those with the loop antenna too...great little radio.
  25. John Ess

If it looks like a duck and moves like a duck.....
Back
Top Bottom