Search results

1. Lumpy Waters

Re-purposing a slug of a PC

I have a slow, lowest of low end AMD based HP desktop PC that I am fed up with but am reluctant to simply toss out. My Emotiva TA-100 integrated amp has a USB audio input (type B.). The TA-100 thus connected shows up on the PC as an external sound card. I'm thinking of giving the HP AMD pig a...
  2. Lumpy Waters

Looking for suggestions on an auto or semi-auto turntable

The Technics linear trackers can be really fun. Some folks like to disparage them but they have good specs and sound great with a good cartridge. There are caveats. They take p-mount carts, so selection is limited. Of note, there is a seller on Ebay on that offers NOS AT450 p mount carts, nude...
  3. Lumpy Waters

Stereos in apartments: what do y’all do?

Not all speakers are well suited to listening at low volume levels, which might in part influence the notion that loud, or semi-loud, sounds better. In my experience, transmission line, aperiodic or acoustic suspension type of speakers tend to sound better at lower volumes than ported cabinets...
  4. Lumpy Waters

Cartridge shootout!

That sounds like fun, but how about another shootout with the same cartridges and different source material that challenges the cartridges in different ways?
  5. Lumpy Waters

Cartridge shootout!

Hard to make up my mind, but if I had to choose one over the others it would have to be C. The source material, while very enjoyable to listen to, wouldn't be my first choice for evaluating a cartridge, personally.
  6. Lumpy Waters

ReLoop enters the 'Hi Fi' market

Looks much like an AT LP-1240 in a dressier package with the DJ features and USB/phono pre removed, a nicer rubber mat vs felt, and better W&F specs. The specs and pricing appear to make it directly competitive with the Pioneer PLX-1000, assuming Hi-Fi and not DJ use. The 30g effective tonearm...
  7. Lumpy Waters

What music did you discover and enjoy this year ?

If you like experimental period Talk Talk/solo Mark Hollis, you might like Bark Psychosis. 2004's Codename: Dustsucker has Talk Talk percussionist Lee Harris contributing.
  8. Lumpy Waters

What music did you discover and enjoy this year ?

My favorite discovery this year is post-rock band Tortoise
  9. Lumpy Waters

Two-Channel Only - The Way God Intended

I've been underwhelmed, if not annoyed, by most multichannel systems that I've heard. 2.1 works for me.
  10. Lumpy Waters

Who Beat Me to the Punch?

In the early 80's my dad had purchased Sony Trinitron console TV with built in stereo speakers and stereo audio RCA outputs I think it was one of the largest screens you could buy at the time. He had the stereo line outputs going into an oddball stereo receiver- a Teledyne/Packard Bell I think-...
  11. Lumpy Waters

Audio Technica lp120 or Music Hall mmf 2.2?

I own the LP-120 and at one point had considered buying the MMF2.2 as an upgrade, but did not end up doing so after further analysis suggested it would not be a significant step up. Buying vintage/used has some risks. I went there, ended up having to buy two turntables to make one good one. If...
  12. Lumpy Waters

Audio Technica lp120 or Music Hall mmf 2.2?

The AT95E is well regarded and probably a better a cartridge than the rebranded lower end Ortofon that comes with the MMF2.2. There are number of stylus upgrades for the AT95E and the removable headshell of the AT LP120 tonearm makes changing out cartridges relatively easy. The Magic2 cart on...
  13. Lumpy Waters

Thrift store finds

The thrift stores in my town rarely have anything remarkable, and what inventory exists is usually well abused. I did pick up a nice solid Oak stereo rack for pretty cheap, though. Years ago, before the internet and Ebay, I lived about 40 miles away in a much more affluent town and, looking...
  14. Lumpy Waters

Phono Preamp Suggestions Wanted! Please help!

I'm pretty satisfied with my Mobile Fidelity Studiophono preamp and Denon DL-110 HOMC cart. The Mofi preamp is a step up in clarity and detail over the Emotiva TA-100 receiver built in preamp it replaced. I also have the ART DJPre2, which sounds to my ear pretty similar to the Emotiva receiver's...
  15. Lumpy Waters

Yamaha MusicCast Vinyl 500 turntable, what do we think about this?

I think it is a pretty cool marriage of old and new. I hope it catches on well enough that we might see more affordable models follow it.
  16. Lumpy Waters

Narrow width CD player?

There were some earlier Sony Discman models that wouldn't look out of place in a stationary, compact shelf system. Indeed, they were kind of clunky for carrying round jogging or whatnot. Some had FM tuners.
  17. Lumpy Waters

Narrow width CD player?

In terms of current production, Denon and Teac offer a few compact CD players in the $400-600 range.
  18. Lumpy Waters

Where do I go from here?

A new Denon DL-110 now graces my AT-LP1240 tonearm. I'm still breaking it in but I must say I am quite pleased so far. It is crystal clear and well balanced. Imaging is a notch less dramatic than either of my AT nude elliptical carts. It is not as warm as the Grado Green2 p-mount on my Technics...
  19. Lumpy Waters

Is it just me or is that "sound" unbearable?

My wife recently brought into our home a Wolfgang Puck "commercial" blender. It sounds truly demonic, like a screeching, wailing wraith rising from Hades.
  20. Lumpy Waters

Are Audiophyles Baby Boomers?

B.1965, so Gen-X. There's some gray area with regard to identifying Boomer vs Gen-X around 1960-1965, but as I see it, if one was born in those years and raised by a Boomer, one is a Gen-X. My Boomer pop was an audiophile, also an electrical engineer and also a bit frugal. I grew up in the...
  21. Lumpy Waters

"Bliss" Stylii??

I have the AT450, acquired from aforementioned seller, paid a little less than $60 but even at $60 it is great deal because it is very nice sounding cartridge.
  22. Lumpy Waters

Extend RCA cables on turntable - which one to get

Monoprice premium audio cables are made with RG59 cable and have pretty low capacitance. They're also more stiff than most audio cables. I forget the exact pF measurement of the 1.5ft cable I use going into a preamp, but it was somewhere in the teens, maybe 14 or 15pF. I just measured one of my...
  23. Lumpy Waters

Where do I go from here?

I welcomed 2018 by upgrading my audio system from end to end, something that last occurred in 2009. I still had a constrained budget, but slightly more financial resources and lot more knowledge, thanks to AK among other information resources. Each step was an incremental improvement, with a...
  24. Lumpy Waters

Audio Technica LP120 TT?

I'm with you. Really enjoying my recent LP1240 acquisition as well. In a previous post in this thread, I mentioned play in the 1240 tonearm, but that was an initial impression soon after unboxing the TT. I detect no play at all now after many hours of use. I guess the tonearm has somehow...
  25. Lumpy Waters

What is YOUR pet peeve? Let's have a laugh.

People that sort their recycling materials at the recycling center. I arrive with everything presorted and even have my own PPE (safety glasses and ear protection). I can be in and out in under 5 minutes- that is, unless some dolt with nothing better to do waits until he gets to the recycling...
Back
Top Bottom