Search results

1. DaveAl

How to clean stylus brush?

canned air here, also.
  2. DaveAl

When does common sense kicks in the cost on audio equipment

For me it's really simple. I don't buy anything I can't afford. I NEVER buy anything on credit. I buy what sounds good to me. I don't know how much more sensible I could be about equipment purchases. :)
  3. DaveAl

Bookshelf Speakers - subwoofer a necessity?

LOL. you read my mind. Glad you are enjoying your new toy.
  4. DaveAl

I meant Empire speakers. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Empire-Model-9000-Speakers-/202492291422
  5. DaveAl

Martin Logans or else?
  6. DaveAl

Pet peeve – crap RCA’s

I've been more concerned about the TINY Camac connectors that have to be used with my ML-9. If those broke I don't know what I'd do. I can't fix them. They are about impossible to get and they are stupid-expensive. I'd rather have RCA than Camacs.
  7. DaveAl

Who put the plants on top of your speakers? You or the wife? LOL! I just today removed a small fake flower arrangement that my wife placed on top of one of my ADS's.
  8. DaveAl

If, like me, you put your ADS810's on top of subwoofers, you are indeed saving space.
  9. DaveAl

That end table reminds me of https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Empire-Model-9000-Speakers-/202492291422 speakers! Remember them? IIRC they had a marble top. EDIT: silly me mis-spoke when I wrote "Rectilinear". I meant Empire. I thought of it the other night, laying in bed. LOL!
  10. DaveAl

I have 2 12" powered woofers sitting under my ADS 810's. The woofers seriously improve the enjoyment of movie entertainment. They also add to the realism of music reproduction. I'm lucky to live in a detached dwelling so I don't have to worry about neighbors hearing my system when cranked up...
  11. DaveAl

Do you plastic-wrap your excess gear?

No. I place my extra items on shelves in stereo cabinets that are in other parts of the house, mostly cabinets that are sitting in closets. I don't worry about humidity in northern Calif. RH in our home is between the mid 30's and mid 40's year around. (I also have HVAC).
  12. DaveAl

Almost a Car Model Game

Honda Concordance
  13. DaveAl

Record Cleaning: Developing the Best Possible Methods

correction for a previous post--if i shake my 1/2 empty bottle of solution it DOES foam up. I had mis-remembered what happens when I shake it. apologies.
  14. DaveAl

I can shake the heck out of my partially filled bottled of cleaning solution which contains Triton, distilled water, and alcohol and it doesn't suds up. Anyone getting a lot of suds must be using a much stronger concentration of Triton. If so, you are using too much. It takes me 2 vacuuming...
  15. DaveAl

What Record Are You Hearing Now?

Green Flower Street - Fagen
  16. DaveAl

The method I use is 1) apply cleaning solution to the record (from a spray bottle) and make several revolutions with a goat hair brush, 2) vacuum, 3) apply distilled water and vacuum (record appearance is that of partial surfactant), 4) apply a second application of distilled water and this time...
  17. DaveAl

Of COURSE it will bead up! Add some Triton X. DON'T use dish detergent. I cringe every time I read about someone "swearing" by the use of it.
  18. DaveAl

SiriusXM to pay $3.5 billion for Pandora

I use Pandora nearly every day and recently Toyota announced they are dropping Pandora in their vehicles in the coming months. I'm pissed. I know that I can BT Pandora from my phone but that's not the same as having it accessible from Entune.
  19. DaveAl

What is YOUR pet peeve? Let's have a laugh.

2 actors on Bates Motel are British but in the show you can't really notice. They must have good speech coaches.
  20. DaveAl

What I remember about my niece and other youngsters back in the 80's was "I'm like...". they added those 2 words to everything they said. A variation on that was 3 words: "I'm like all..."
  21. DaveAl

oh, and "loose" when they meant "lose". that is a word that I would think English speaking people would know. But, noooooo.
  22. DaveAl

I see what you did there..
  23. DaveAl

The over usage of "actually".
  24. DaveAl

I'm So Depressed. Hearing Is Going.

When I was in 'Nam I wore two sets of ear protectors when working ARM/DEARM at the ends of the runway. The vinyl ones that u stick in your ear, along with the big cans they gave us. Standing RIGHT IN FRONT of the intake of an A-37 makes for the loudest, highest pitched sound I've ever heard...
  25. DaveAl

I'm So Depressed. Hearing Is Going.

Imagine being told that you HAVE to have an operation that has a >75% chance that it will kill your hearing on one side. I faced that awful reality in 1995 (I've been quite the "golden eared" audiophile since my hearing cleared up about a year after getting out of 'Nam). When I came out of...
Back
Top Bottom