Search results

1. Mlistens03

KEF owners thread

In January I decided to buy a pair of Q150s when they were on sale. needless to say, I love them! Got them in white, and look almost as great as they sound. I don't have them set up right now (I'm giving away a different pair of speakers in a week or two so I'm listening to the ones that'll be...
  2. Mlistens03

most creative album covers

The Eagles "The Long Run" :p In seriousness, I am fond of Electric Light Orchestra's covers, with the space ship on the front.
  3. Mlistens03

That Pair of Speakers You'll Keep Forever

At this point, I'm not going to say I'm gonna keep any of this forever (assuming I stay in audio, I got around another 50-60 years with them!) But for the next couple years at the very least, my Mission 770s and KEF Q150s won't be leaving (Unless I get better KEFs... :D)
  4. Mlistens03

Theoretical system

So I'm almost done revamping my stereo from this whole thing... and I did just about nothing I said I would. I ended up getting a pair of KEF Q150s when they were on sale after Christmas, I got some cables (AQ Evergreen), built stands, Got a rack (Salamander Archetype 5), etc. All in all, I...
  5. Mlistens03

What I learned on Craigslist

don't forget about the guns and weapons... :o
  6. Mlistens03

What I learned on Craigslist

Found this funny... from the spelling, to the trade offers, to the outrageous price. :) https://orlando.craigslist.org/ele/d/polk-audio-system/6811097097.html
  7. Mlistens03

What is your biggest regret involving speakers?

Selling my Boston VR2s... And I'm not even sure why, because my Kefs sound better anyway... but I still miss them.
  8. Mlistens03

NEW modern day speaker SUCK!!

A lot of speakers are designed to be used in association with a subwoofer. Because of that, they can focus the design on the range above 100 or so hertz, meaning that you can have smaller speakers that sound as good or better than the giant ones. Not knocking big speakers, I myself have Polk...
  9. Mlistens03

vintage amplifiers with funky cooling schemes

I have my NAD sitting in a fish tank filled with mineral oil. ;) In seriousness, as mentioned the Technics SU-vX, vXX, vXXX, and zXX lines had heat pipes and heat sinks similar to that you would see on a CPU in a computer. I'm sure there were other Technics that had it and I just don't know what...
  10. Mlistens03

Adding second pair of speakers

I don't quite understand what you're trying to do... are you trying to connect your tube amp and mains speakers to another set of bluetooth speakers in another room? If that is it, then you could get a bluetooth to RCA adaptor and plug it in to your amp. Then I believe you can connect to both...
  11. Mlistens03

Interconnects, power cable and speaker wire for vintage lo fi set up?

Low-fi? That looks pretty dang close to hi-fi to me... Better interconnects would be a good upgrade though, look at Blue Jeans Cables, Audioquest, WireWorld, etc... :)
  12. Mlistens03

What is your best thrift store find?

Polk LSi25s for fifty bucks. :) Or maybe Boston VR2s and PV500 for fifty bucks.
  13. Mlistens03

Low humidity.. how bad

I think too little humidity can dry out rubber surrounds/make foam surrounds rot faster. Don't know the effect on electronics. My Mission 770 surrounds are still very soft, although they are notorious for drying out... the difference? I live in stupid-humid Florida (usually around 60% in our...
  14. Mlistens03

Theoretical system

I’ve thought about it, and am now planning on sticking with my NAD C352. It is a lot better than I was giving it credit for, and I already have an above average phono stage (Hagerman Audio Labs Bugle 2.) that just leaves me to get a DAC. I’ve looked at Focal and Polk, and as much as I like...
  15. Mlistens03

Unofficial Monitor Audio Owner Thread

I have a set of R90s. They are the best micro speakers I've ever heard, and really shine in a desktop nearfield kind of system. I'm also looking at some larger bookies, and I can't decide between Monitor Bronze 2s or Dali Oberon 3s. I'll probably end up with the Dalis, but I'm still having a...
  16. Mlistens03

Woofer size vs room size...newbie question

I think cabinet design, efficiency, power handling, etc. are more important than the size of the woofer. I've heard 15 inchers put to shame by a pair of 8s. FWIW, The speakers I own with the best bass in my smallish room are my Boston VR2s, with a pair of 6 1/2 inch drivers per tower.
  17. Mlistens03

New speakers

Another +1 for Harbeth. Dali also has some very nice speakers across all price points for the most part. Not sure how high end they go. These get my number 1 recommendation. And another +1 for Magnepan.
  18. Mlistens03

How would you build a giant killer system with a $5000 budget?

Ah, I see. Makes sense. :) I like it!
  19. Mlistens03

What's your best speaker "score"?

I've got a number of great deals on speakers. Infinity Crescendo CS-3007 $10, needed foam, almost flawless cosmetically Polk Audio LSi25, little rough cosmetically, one bad sub amp, but $50! :banana: Mission 770s $50... not an amazing deal price wise but my favorite pair of speakers, so...
  20. Mlistens03

Can anyone identify these old Bose speakers?

Had a pair of the Series III models, similar to these. They were OK, not fatiguing in any way shape or form, but were crushed by anything even remotely close to their current used prices. I'd look elsewhere for a pair of bookies. If you want loud, these can do that for you.
  21. Mlistens03

I think the Oberon 7s may be a bit much in a 14x18 room (as specified in the OP), Maybe Oberon 5s would be better, hence my choice of them. Otherwise, once again, your choices are better than mine, but why no vinyl?
  22. Mlistens03

JBL L80T issues

Yeah, didn't make sense to me either, really just grasping at straws. But different ventilation in the cabinet, changing pressure, and making it seem like a larger cabinet? Who knows how that could affect the sound. Actually, a lot of people. Just not me. :)
  23. Mlistens03

JBL L80T issues

Interesting... My friend has a pair of LX44s which use very similar drivers, and they are very bright. maybe the crack in the cabinet is increasing the efficiency of the LF and mid drivers?
  24. Mlistens03

Oops, I was a part of that... sorry.
  25. Mlistens03

removed this part to avoid a flame war... I think the part below is worth keeping. And one more thing, but I'm not sure on this one; I don't think an audiophile is necessarily a person chasing after the best sound. I think that is a hifi enthusiast. an audiophile can be a bass head, hifi...
Back
Top Bottom