Search results

1. 0Hz

Review: Midea U-Shaped Window Air Conditioners

TLDR; skip to bottom for final thoughts. I don't usually make threads about this kind of stuff, but holy crap. If anyone uses Window units and hates noise, you really need to check these out. I actually regret not getting in on the indiegogo to get a lower price on multiple units. They...
  2. 0Hz

Any advice for photo / negative digitizers

I'm looking for something at least in the "prosumer" range. Not cheap chinese stuff... We have thousands of family photos going back to the 80's when my parents were still in college (and a few even older than that) and I think its time I start preserving some of this stuff. I'm not worried...
  3. 0Hz

end of record guard? Something or other..

One of the things I dislike about my decision to buy my AT-LP120-USB is the fact it's got a manual tone-arm. Because I'm kind of lazy, but also sometimes I want to just listen to music and maybe take a nap or something. Or I know I'll end up falling asleep. Also if I'm really into a task...
  4. 0Hz

Shure SRH840: Initial Impressions

Due to recent circumstances with my SX-636 being down, and needing an audio output, I initially borrowed some wireless (Corsair something or other) headphones from my brother, and realized I kind of missed owning a pair in general. I opted for a pair of studio monitors for a variety of...
  5. 0Hz

SX-636 Power switch is mechanically stuck

I'm not sure what's going on here, and I don't really have the time to dig into it before work (was hoping to relax). But I've got it about half torn down right now and can't see any obvious physical obstruction from the front of the unit. The spring looks undamaged, it just won't let me...
  6. 0Hz

Is anyone else real touchy about their mouse

I own a Logitech G5 Battlefield 2142 edition and it would be an understatement to say I love it. I've used tons of mice since the early 90s, from cheapo to more expensive ball mice, then jumping onto the optical mouse bandwagon when they first came out. But something about this mouse in...
  7. 0Hz

Inexpensive handheld Oscilloscope?

I'm looking for a pretty simple unit. I just want to use it to check waveforms so I can find clipping points, etc on line/speaker outputs and stuff like that. Can anyone recommend something that has a good used or new price? Max budget might be around $100 or something like that. It...
  8. 0Hz

SX-636 pushbuttons

So like... I "broke??" 2 off my other unit and I'd like to repair if possible. The blue plastic looks snapped or whatever (some inside the button housing), can these really just be superglued / epoxy ?? Or do I need to buy a whole new switch unit and then replace it on the board?
  9. 0Hz

AT-LP120-USB Can't balance my tonearm

I have an AT LP120 USB, and a Shure M97XE cartridge mounted on an AT headshell. I have read the manual and watched numerous youtubes.. I am flummoxed.. I am unable to get my tonearm to float like everyone else. When it gets to the point where it will want to float, it always drifts to the...
  10. 0Hz

Some general questions

I'm sorry if this stuff is probably largely answered with search results.. I just suck at using searches, and also I'm doped up on post-op pain meds so just barely typing this. Static I have the standard felt pad that came with my Audio Technica AT-120LP-USB. I also have a Shure M97xe...
  11. 0Hz

Salvaging my Acutex 4.1 Transducer Cabinets

Hi, A while ago I picked up these cabinets from a thrift store for uber cheap, and was disappointed to find out there were no original drivers with them. Anyway some forum members suggested trying to redesign a good system around them with new drivers, etc. First thing is first. I have to...
  12. 0Hz

Picked up a pair of Pioneer CS-M551 Speakers

My completely-not-an-expert-in-this-stuff-opinion First impressions: thrift stores are the devil It was very hard to make this purchase on an informed decision as I couldn't find any real info on them online, and I already missed out on going back for that pair of Infinity Reference Three's...
  13. 0Hz

Spooky things that have happened to you

Not necessarily a halloween thing, I just mean things that have happened to you, even if you have a rationale explanation, that still change your outlook on things or give you pause to think.. I have had experiences from my late teens to mid - late 20's that I believe were night terror...
  14. 0Hz

$1 thrift store find

15. 0Hz

Anyone excited for DCS: Modern Air Combat

I always been a fan of flight sims (mostly space, but stil..) minus the "learn to take off in ony 6 hours" aspect. DCS has been around for a while, and it's an interesting concept of modular flight sim building. The company who makes it basically has a general "World" engine which handles...
  16. 0Hz

Can you "dampen" the thump from kicks on a ported sub?

I've rewritten this 3 or 4 times so as not to look like a complete retard, so here goes... Probably a dumb question, and I'd have bought a sealed one if I was smart and found one in my price range and asked for brand advice... But let's set that side. Do ports even come into the equation...
  17. 0Hz

Can anyone identify these unmarked Infinity speakers??

I was in a local thrift store today and saw a set of Infinities. I don't know their dimensions but they are a 3-way large bookshelf type. They have NO stickers or other badging on them aside from the inifinty logo on the speaker covers. I think they may have been wall-mounted as there are...
  18. 0Hz

Has anyone done extensive physical / LED indicator mods?

I don't know much about how a lot of other models are built, but for models like the SX-626 where they have that molded lamp housing and colored indicator blocks, I am kind of curious how people have tackled, or thought about tackling issues. The biggest issue with switching to LEDs, setting...
  19. 0Hz

Schematic reading question

(not sure if this the right forum but kinda? ) So as an exmaple, I kind of understand most of this; from my SX-636 service manual but something that I have not seen in any kind of reading / research i've done is what is means where there is a "break" in the line. Like it breaks and there's...
  20. 0Hz

Will I regret buying this soldering kit?

It's cheap. I am new to "seriously" working with electronics and don't have a lot of cash (especially after my receiver purchase) This thing says its temp controlled though, and I am only worried about whether or not my house will burn down if I plug it in and try to use it...
  21. 0Hz

Am I the only one who hates levers?

I don't know it is a bout lever / switches on vintage gear that irritates me, but I just... can't stand them? I like push buttons and knobs.... and turny bits I might have gone with a newer model receiver than the SX-636 if the later Pioneers didn't have all those dang levers. They just...
  22. 0Hz

(Damaged) Review: Pioneer S-500X Bookshelf Speakers

Preface: I generally don't like to write reviews about things I know little about, but I guess you have to start somewhere. Also please be aware one of these speakers has damage to the rear face of the enclosure. Recently, I picked up a pair of S-500X speakers from ebay for $60 - I paid...
  23. 0Hz

Looking for something... gonna have to build it myself?

Just curious if anyone has seen any kind of unit out there, that might meet the following requisites. Spectrum Analyzer VU Meter (analog / needle kind) Other kind of digital / levels meter for volume *basic tone or EQ controls (not strictly required) limiter speaker-level input / output...
  24. 0Hz

I've acquired Acutex ACT 4.2 Transducer consecutive serials

Hi guys. A few weeks ago I spotted these at a thrift store for $20 / pair and they looked decent enough that I said "ok its 20 bucks". I will say the work required to restore these to proper working order is going to be more than I expected, and I also have a few concerns. I can't find much...
  25. 0Hz

Powered Speakers on the Headphone jack - yay or nay ?

I've had this question jumping around in my head for a while now, and wasn't really sure how to ask it without looking dumb. It's a little more involved than just a yes/no I am also looking for opinions / facts on using such setups. So to preface. When I was a kid, I used my SX-636 mainly...
Back
Top Bottom