Search results

1. jwalker

6l6GC / 7581A Schematic Critique

You can eliminate the fiddling with the 6cg7 phase splitter pot by using a constant current source. Equal gain and a tight phase difference is basically guaranteed with a CCS. I've attached a circuit which basically does what the schematic circuit should do. Current is set by R8 since Q2...
  2. 6cg7 Current Source

6cg7 Current Source

6cg7 current source
  3. jwalker

Octave Gold speakers?

A lot of MTM's and other two woofer speakers end up being around 4ohms because the woofers are in parallel. Even though these are 2.5way, the addition of another choke for the 0.5 speaker wouldn't change it's low frequency impedance much. I guess the designer could have wired them to be 16...
  4. jwalker

What gear have you given up due to ergonomics?

I stopped using a Meitner preamp because of the ridiculous WIRED remote. Having a dark grey cord running across your listening room floor is not a good look. And the preamp itself didn't even have knobs on it. Fumbling with the remote was just too painful.
  5. jwalker

Vintage EPI Frequency Response

This link shows the metal inverted dome that Human makes somebody plotted. I have measurements of the phenolic and linen versions somewhere and they did not look like this plot. Either the metal dome sample tweeter was defective or changing the diaphragm broke the design...
  6. jwalker

cool M-K speakers

My brother has these. He has an M&K based HT system with the S1C as the mains. They are pretty good and he got them at a deep discount when they were discontinued.
  7. jwalker

Shuguang vs. Yaqin

You made a sensible choice. For the price of admission, it's hard to beat some of the amps coming from China.
  8. jwalker

Audio Alchemy units

I still use both my AA UltraDAC and DDE v1.2. THe DDE v1.2 is the better of the two units because it has the Pacific Monolithics digital filter and can process HDCD. Nobody makes the HDCD encoded disks any more, but they made quite a few in the day. Even on non HDCD disks it sounds...
  9. jwalker

Too bad he didn't make a center

I repurposed EPI 100V drivers into new lower profile cabinets so I could wall mount them. And I made an MTM center channel with two 8 inch 2-ohm driver from in series. The 2-ohmn woofers came from the the EPI 602 I believe. They are kinda big.
  10. jwalker

Heathkit rebirth ? Tell them what you want.

I don't think it would make sense for Heathkit to produce tubed audio kits that would need to be produced in China just to be competitive. The market for higher end audio is already pretty small, and the people who can afford high-end who want to build it themselves is even smaller. I mean how...
  11. jwalker

What are the best PP OPT Transformers ever made?

The most highly regarded ones were often sold as separate components like Acrosound TO series, Peerless 20-20 plus, and Triad HSM's. But there are certainly gems out there that were OEM'd for amp manufacturers, like the Freed model in the Citation II.
  12. jwalker

Thiel CS2 needs new tweeter

I was in a similar situation with another speaker. This tweeter is often used to sub the original Dynaudio tweeters. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=275-200 It's physically the right size and works well enough. The cost is relatively low and will get you going...
  13. jwalker

Selah Game Change Speakers design for diy?

You can build these: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=301-980 CBT36. It looks like the same people are behind this design. Or the Selah is a copy.
  14. jwalker

Can you identify these TALL speakers?

Magnepan MG-I. Can't tell you the vintage. Get them if they are in good condition and well priced!
  15. jwalker

New PE Horn Driver!!

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?234356-New-Product-Announcements-Dayton-Audio-D250P-T-and-TT25P-8 Based on the announcement in the forum, it looks like this new Dayton driver was at least "inspired" by the DE250. Looks like they copied it as far as they could without making...
  16. jwalker

New PE Horn Driver!!

The ones you have in your link look like copies of the B&C DE250 which was copied as the DNA360 by the people making the SEOS waveguides. So it looks like there are two copies of the DE250 on the market right now at significantly lower prices. I guess B&C should feel flattered (or threatened.)...
  17. jwalker

Shipping BIG speakers

Best way to ship BIG speakers is on a pallet. You can crate them for extra protection if you don't have the original shipping boxes. It won't be cheap, unless you happen to work for shipping company. I can't tell you how much it costs because the receiver paid the shipping fees. But I would...
  18. jwalker

unmarked mystery giant towers

The EV 8HD was designed to be oriented with long axis vertical. That horn was built as a diffraction horn and get the widest "horizontal" dispersion when it is "vertical". You see a lot of designs where people use the 8HD horizontally. It still works ok, but the dispersion won't be as...
  19. jwalker

Anthony Gallo on how wiring your speaker polarity at the posts changes sound....

The man's in the business of selling speakers which means he has to create a angle to suggest that his speakers are so "ultra sensitive" that swapping the connections on a amplifier will make a difference. A lot of people will buy into this sort of thing and Mr. Gallo knows it.
  20. jwalker

EPI 200c

Congratulations on your find. Just about all the EPI/Epicure models with the inverted dome tweeters are good speakers. And they are very popular. There are enough of them around that good deals aren't hard to find. There are some that have these drivers for DIY purposes and spares, so...
  21. jwalker

For the EPI fans - Recycled drivers

I threw together some L R C speakers for the home theatre from all the EPI parts I had around. The MTM center channel has two 2ohm EPI woofers wired in series and the left/right speakers are standard EPI-100 type module speakers. The crossovers are the standard 10uF caps on the tweeters...
  22. jwalker

Simple crossover for 3-way

I've seen another speaker that has this type of crossover. Just series caps on the midrange and tweeter. It certainly is a pretty inexpensive solution.
  23. jwalker

What's it mean when someone says the bass on their speakers goes down to 18 hz?

Except for maybe floor space in your living room. :D It's true that what comes out of big pipe organs is the best example of music that has infrasonic content. Unfortunately many don't miss what they don't have so they can't really appreciate it.
  24. jwalker

VMPS Super Tower IIa/r and an old friend

VMPS still sells JUST the bass part of these speakers as the VMPS Larger. Should give you an idea of how good the bass is. They were a good speaker when I owned them, except I had a tough time with placement and had to toy with the toe-in to get a stable image (both vertically and...
  25. jwalker

Paypal Has Limited My Account......

Yup. You have some sort of virus/trojan redirecting your Paypal page requests to a different site. Access your Paypal account from a different computer that you know is clean.
Back
Top Bottom