Search results

1. Shonver

New Garage Speaker May have to move inside Yamaha NS-30X

I have a pair of 625/645 tweeters. Too large to fit the 690s. Open baffles are great. I don't have the space for it, though.
  2. Shonver

Thanks for that. These NS-690s were sold to me as "blown". What Ii found was that the tweeters were in blown, the mids were fine and the woofers needed new surrounds. But the level adjustment pots were no good: the ones for the mid were melted and those for the tweeters did not produce sound...
  3. Shonver

I just missed out on a pair that sold locally. I'm currently restoring a pair of NS-690s and would be keen to know more about how these two compare.
  4. Shonver

Technics SL-Q200

Perhaps you should be a bit more analytical about your troubleshooting process. Consider: 1. Mains-related noise is limited to hum; 50/60Hz or 100/120Hz. Sometimes there is also buzzing present. 2. Lack of a proper ground from the chassis or tonearm can also cause hum. 3. The audio path from...
  5. Shonver

The NS-1000m VERSUS THE WORLD (of Speakers)

It's nonsense, though.
  6. Shonver

The NS-1000m VERSUS THE WORLD (of Speakers)

@Mr.sylaw Thank you for this excellent comparison. I have always wondered about the Diatone speakers; never encountered one. Is this even a rational comparison? I would expect the speakers you mention to be better regarding dynamics and absolute SPL than a bookshelf with a dome mid and...
  7. Shonver

Good grief! Rusty speakers!

I don't have these speakers any more. In the end the cost & effort to restore them was more than I was willing to do. I know of someone who had the same woofers re-built (perhaps the exact same ones; I forget what I did with them). I still have the plastic mouldings that the woofers were...
  8. Shonver

Yamaha NS-1000 whats the hype?

Quite a few Sansui speakers of that era used Philips drivers. Philips were quite low-key about their drivers, choosing to describe their best as "high quality" instead of using over-hyped terms .
  9. Shonver

Yamaha FX-3: Anyone heard them?

Where did you source the surrounds?
  10. Shonver

B&W DM6 Surrounds

Good luck. Those surrounds look terrible when they deteriorate. I, too, have the DM6. Woofer is in a bad state (terrible repair job). Tweeter missing. I am approaching this as a resto-mod and will probably end up with just the mid being original or even a totally different driver complement.
  11. Shonver

B&W DM6 Surrounds

Did you manage to solve your surround problem?
  12. Shonver

Yamaha PX-2: need ideas for fixing problems

Good call. Modern LEDs are a lot more efficient than the originals in the photo-interruptors. However, having them die after just a few months is for me a bit strange. What can blow them instantly is having the leads shorted to the metal parts, which are in close proximity, and can happen easily...
  13. Shonver

JVC QL-Y66F Turntable

I have a QL-Y5F. Love the electrically damped arm. Good enough that I've stopped looking for a next upgrade.
  14. Shonver

See in the second photo, next to the punch. That's the bit I cut off. You need just enough to keep the spring under tension. Using a different spring is an alternative solution; just as good if you can find the right spring. Notice the difference in spring sizes between the one posted here and...
  15. Shonver

I just realised that the same fix was posted before: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=337844
  16. Shonver

I just fixed another PX-2 problem: carriage sticks midway across the record, making the stylus jump the groove. I traced the problem to a stretched carriage belt; it was slipping due to too low tension. The ends of the belt are held together by two springs, which also serve to keep tension on...
  17. Shonver

Yamaha CA-510 amp - opinions?

Did you ever get to write that review?
  18. Shonver

Yamaha NS-1000 driver refurbish - anyone done it?

Thanks. I'll give that a try. Yes, it does! The one that I've opened, that is. The voice coil has split in two and there is evidence (discolouration) of overheating. This doesn't look like one that can be rescued.
  19. Shonver

No, I don't mean reconing. I'm talking about cleaning them up and, yes, pushing the mesh back into shape. I have no prroblem tackling the project, but I thought it wise to enquire first.
  20. Shonver

I just bought a pair of Yamaha NS-1000M speakers. Tweeters blown, and really bashed up. Fortunately, the other drivers work and sound OK. But the wire mesh grilles are pushed in and in need of a repaint. I was inspired by what I saw this series of videos: "Preparing for special modified...
  21. Shonver

:thmbsp: You are most welcome! Please share with us any new fixes you may have found.
  22. Shonver

yamaha NS-1000 "hate thread"

Perhaps it would be more useful to try and understand what the conditions are that make them hateable. First offender with any loudspeaker is room acoustics; more so with speakers having a wide dispersion pattern. Next (specifically this model): overly-compressed/clipped/over-processed...
  23. Shonver

Active crossover with multiple amps: seems like a no brainer...let's discuss

This is not a straight-forward debate. IME, passive loudspeakers can do as well as active. In conclusion, though, I would say that active trounces passive. But before we get there, we need to take it step by step. Active vs Passive Passive Pro Cheaper Accessible to all/widely compatible...
  24. Shonver

Yamaha NS-690 questions...

Yes. That's an OK for your option 2, then. Troels is well-respected in the loudspeaker DIY community. Chances are that you will be able to pick up an original cabinet, too.
  25. Shonver

Yamaha NS-1000M? Talk me into it...

This thread helps explain what happened to my many missing socks. I guess something in my washing machine excited the wrong resonance frequency, and poof! the sock was dust. Back to facts, gents: just how many beryllium domes have been reported to have spontaneously disintegrated?
Back
Top Bottom