Search results

1. donbene

One Dac for TV and CD Player

You don't need two DACs. Connect the USB from your computer to the Modi USB input. Use the optical out from your TV to the Modi. Use the input selector on the Modi to select the input you want.
  2. donbene

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

I found his Parasound P/HP-850 at the Goodwill Outlet for $6. It isn't functioning properly. There is voltage around the board. One of the voltage regulators may be bad. It has a function selector IC to choose the input. It shuts off all inputs when there is a voltage glitch to one of the...
  3. donbene

That is an interesting find. It reminds me of something from my high school days in the 60s. I went to a small school in a rural area. They had a preacher come to the school to warn us about the evils of rock and roll.
  4. donbene

to DAC or not to DAC - that is my question

You will be able to use Pure Direct mode on the Marantz if you use an external DAC for streaming. That mode bypasses all of the digital processing and analog video processing in the reciever which gives you cleaner sound.
  5. donbene

Thrift Find - 1st gen Speakerlab 7s

Congradulations. That is a great find at a great price. Those are first generation sevens. Based on the horizontal placement of the tweeter, those were probably built from 1976 to 1978. The tweeter was mounted vertically and parallel to the midrange in earlier years. I think the 1st gen only...
  6. donbene

Thanks for your help. There was a typo in the post. The name appears to be "Andrey". I don't think it was painted by Audrey Flack. I looked at some of her paintings and they are very different.
  7. donbene

I found his oil painting at any independent thrift store for $15. It is signed "Adrey". I did some searching but I couldn't find any information about the artist. I showed it to my 15 year old son and he hung it on his wall right away. It matches hid red wall beautifully. He is always taking...
  8. donbene

Identify these Speakerlab speakers?

They model number is Speakerlab 2.5 I haven't seen speakerlab woofers with concave surrounds but all the other drivers are right. They probably are all original. Update: I was looking at the cover of 1975 Speakerlab catalog and it shows a S7 that had a 10" woofer with a concave surround.
  9. donbene

Nakamichi CDC-3A is unpredictable

Check your email. I think there is a thread here about issues with registering with hifiengine.
  10. donbene

My CDC-3A has an issue now. I was using the single disc magazine. It won't eject the disc. The loading and disc select belts appear to be working OK. I may have to pull the whole assembly but that will be difficult with the magazine and CD in place. There is a manual for the Pioneer PD-M400 on...
  11. donbene

I listed those models because you may be able to search for belts for them because they are more common. The Nakamichi is not as common and it is less likely that belts are listed for it.
  12. donbene

Here are some other players that use the same mechanism. My guess is that they will use the same belts. Many of the Pioneer players are common. PIONEER PD-M400 PD-M500 PD-M700 PD-M720 PD-M900 PD-M901 PD-M910 PD-M50 DENON DCM-444 ONKYO DX-M505
  13. donbene

I found an orphan Heresy 1 at the GW Outlet for $5. This was built in 1971. It is a "decorator" version with just plywood painted black. I waited around for an hour to see if another one was brought out. I had to go to an appointment. I came back after that but the mate still didn't show up. I...
  14. donbene

Retipping Denon DL-160 (stylus and cantelever opinions?)

I would also select the boron MR. BTW, ruby and sapphire are both the same material (corundum). The only differences are the trace elements that give them their colors. Assuming the cantilevers of both are constructed the same, there shouldn't be a performance difference between the two.
  15. donbene

I think I Scroed!

There is one for $29 at Parts Express. I don't know if how good it is but it is made in Switzerland. https://www.parts-express.com/N95ED-Shure-Type-Replacement-Stylus-230-400?quantity=1
  16. donbene

Coathangers vs. super-cables -- are these tests for real?

Listen to Mommy Dearest "NO MORE WIRE HANGERS!"
  17. donbene

Girls on LP cover - REDUX

18. donbene

Bookshelf speakers with best bass...

His RX-4109 should not have a problem with 6 ohm speakers. I powered Speakerlab 7s rated at 4 ohms with that receiver for years without a problem.
  19. donbene

Speakerlab 7 Power

I don't know why they changed the ratings. 150 watts or 250 watts are the maximum recommended power. You don't need anywhere near that much. The recommended minimum power is 15 to 25 watts. The 7WAs have a Sensitivity rating of 92db. I am not sure about the original 7s but it is probably...
  20. donbene

Nakamichi CDC 3a multi-disc magazine question

Pioneer 6 disc magazines are the same as the ones used in the Nakamichi cdc 3a. They are very common. There is also a Pioneer single disc magazine with a drawer that fits in the slot and makes it more like a single disc player. Those are more difficult to find.
  21. donbene

Sherwood S-7110 On/Off switch?

See this thread https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/the-infamous-sherwood-power-switch-volume-pot-repaired.811889
  22. donbene

Nakamichi CDC-3A worth repairing?

Here is a post about lens replacement: https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/replace-cd-lens-pioneer-pd-m700.469590/ There is also a video on youtube I don't know what glue is best. The one originally used was water based and failed because of moisture. I am happy that you found...
  23. donbene

Nakamichi CDC-3A worth repairing?

This is where I found the players in the first list. https://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/the_complete_d_a_dac_converter_list/ Are you sure the lens hasn't just fallen out and is somewhere inside of your player? That is what usually happens. Check your local thrift stores, CL, garage sales, etc...
  24. donbene

Substitute for Speakerlab S3 Midrange Driver

blipco, the 3s are excellent speakers. My best friend had a pair so I have spent a lot of time listening to them. We had some great rocking parties with them too. The 4s are the same as the 3s except they have a horn tweeter.
Back
Top Bottom