Search results

1. M

Paradigm 7se MkIII?

There are a pair of Paradigm 7se MkIII speakers for sale locally. The guy is asking $320 CANADIAN for these speakers. Appear to be in good condition cosmetically. Are these speakers worth looking in to? Also, is that a fair asking price? I'm pretty clueless on everything Paradigm.
  2. M

Kef c7?

Yeah, I'm starting to realize that more and more. I demoed a bunch of speakers in the $1000-1500 (Canadian dollars) range not too long ago and none of them came CLOSE to the A400s. They all sounded so thin and small in comparison. The Rega RS3s I tried had nicer highs than the A400s, but hardly...
  3. M

Kef c7?

Thanks for the input! I won't be getting them I don't say. I really don't want to lose bass. I guess I'll look into other speakers or repairing the A-400s.
  4. M

Kef c7?

Does anyone here have any experience with KEF C7 speakers? They seem to be the top of the C line, and I can get a real good deal on a pair. My Boston Acoustics A-400s are starting to give me some troubles (mainly distortion in the mid driver of one of the speakers), so I'm looking for something...
  5. M

anybody using a PS3 for a cd player, other options?

I've used mine to play MP3s and it sounds alright. As a CD player I'd find it too loud (between the system fan and the BR drive). If you want to have traditional RCA outputs, you can get a Playstation 2 accessory called "AV Adapter". All Playstation systems have the same video out connector, so...
  6. M

Is the Pro-ject Debut III just not going to cut it?

I'd say get a new cartridge first and foremost. Then, I'd look into a RCM before getting a new table. As far as I'm concerned, you can have the best table in the world, but dirty records are still going to sound meh.
  7. M

Mis-labeled LP

I've bought albums with the wrong LP inside the sleeve, but never the wrong label.
  8. M

Listened to my first CD after getting back into vinyl

The funny part about film is - everyone complains about something shot in 60fps! I was in film school for a bit and every time the cameras were set to shoot at 60fps, people would complain that it was "weird", "too smooth" or "looked digital". Heck, most of us settled on 24fps......... I've...
  9. M

Listened to my first CD after getting back into vinyl

I think CD's are alright, if you've got a good player. I went through a few different players (an old Technics, Cambridge 540A, NAD 525BEE). I finally ended up getting a Rega Apollo. To this day, the Apollo/Saturn are the only CD players I've heard that I think sound really good (though I...
  10. M

RCA Mystery Format

Oh, CED. I remember a friend of mine won an auction for a bunch of horror CEDs (one of them was "I Spit On Your Grave"). We couldn't think of anything grimier than watching "I Spit On Your Grave" on some kind of ridiculous, vinyl video.
  11. M

What was your first turntable?

Only the highest quality.
  12. M

Creepiest actor or actress?

Grace Zabriskie or Samantha Eggar (in the Brood)
  13. M

Wood tonearms...How bad can they be?

My main concern with wood would (hah!) be that it shifts and moves over time. I'm sure a wood tone arm has the potential for nice resonant qualities though.
  14. M

Denon DP-300F vs. Rega P1

I've got a Rega P1, and it's a great table. After upgrading the cartridge and platter, it really gives some more expensive TT's I've heard a run for the money.
  15. M

Two new Bowie reissues, both bad

Tell me about it. The majority of new vinyl I get is pretty lackluster and noise ridden, even after RCM cleaning.
  16. M

Boston Acoustics T1000's

I wouldn't bother for the price he's asking (I think i saw the same listing anyway. Don't worry, i'm in another country :)). In my experience with BA speakers, and everyone I've spoken with, the A-series is pretty much "the" BA speaker. Half the appeal of the big A speakers for me is how easy...
  17. M

Cambridge Audio DacMagic Owners Thread

I really want to get one of these to run between my PS3 and 640A integrated. Most likely my next larger audio purchase.
  18. M

Boston Acoustic A400 owners

I've got my A400s spaced similarly. They're not near as picky as any other speakers I've used in terms of placement. BA designed them so they can be put flat against a wall (though I keep them around 13" from the back wall. my room is sound proofed so bass isn't too boomy), without as much of...
  19. M

Boston Acoustic A400 owners

I don't toe mine in. I've tried it before, but always found they sound better when faced straight ahead.
  20. M

BA A 150 tweeter - did I install it right?

All the drivers in my A400s are connected like that (+ going next to sticker, - on the other side).
  21. M

Sony Playstation as audiophile cd player?!?!

I've used the PS1 as a CD player before, out of curiosity. It sounds pretty good, comparable to what you'd get from a decent changer, but not near as good as the more expensive Rega or Cambridge cd players I've used (but really, what can you expect?). I've been a casual gamer for years now, and...
  22. M

Boston Acoustics A100

Yes yes yes, take this as gospel! You need to get the correct angled foams for A-series woofers. Generic foam will attach with some effort, but they'll cause a cut in the low bass and a boost in mid-bass. Really takes away from the "range" of the speaker. I've currently got a pair of...
  23. M

IPods and You

I've got an iPod 80GB video from around 2-3 years ago. I'll admit, they're very practical and great for travel/being away. That being said, I find the sound quality pretty mediocre. I've got everything ripped lossless, and while it doesn't sound BAD, it's just really boring to listen to...
  24. M

What's the most you've spent for an LP?

Most i've spent on an LP was a little over $160 on Michael Yonkers Band - "Microminature Love". Worth it though, I love that album!
  25. M

Boston Acoustics A40 - refoaming

I always took the drivers out with the speakers standing, making sure I caught them as they slid down.
Back
Top Bottom