Search results

1. Riddley

Questions about Marantz Wood Cases

Just ordered a walnut case for my 2270 from vitagehifiaudio dot com (no affiliation) and they are currently $20 off. Shipping seems a little high. Although it says it takes 3 weeks, they shipped mine in two days, suggesting they have stocked up in order to meet demand.
  2. Riddley

Reissued (new) faceplates

Well he certainly represents his reproductions as "correct": "meticulously and professionally reproduced for an absolutely identical match ... identical dimensions of size, thickness, window and apertures ... inspected by hand" and so on. And he accepts returns. Is it odd that the only...
  3. Riddley

Connect a 2275 receiver to Smart tv

You can get an optical to RCA trasceiver for about $30 at Best Buy. It runs off a wall wart. And you'll need a short fiber optic cable. Select PCM output in your TV's setup.
  4. Riddley

AK is 19 years old, so we're having a raffle.

Joined: Jun 24, 2018 This is a nice and friendly place. No trubba!
  5. Riddley

Marantz 3600 and phono stage

If you are an active listener, there is very little doubt you would like what a good phono stage will bring you. It's a question of what you wish to spend. If you listen to music with great dynamics, such as classical and jazz, for example, you would hear not only better resolution of notes and...
  6. Riddley

Not sure if this has been seen here yet…

Hunter Biden?
  7. Riddley

2216b

Good point. And sometimes you just have to say, 'what the heck'. Is it a sealed bid situation?
  8. Riddley

2216b

I'm not knowledgeable, but my take would be: if it doesn't need immediate repair it will need eventually. If you (like me) can't work on 'em, assume you'll throw a few hundred at it sooner or later. Thus, I'd bid high only if the cosmetics are excellent.
  9. Riddley

Marantz 6100 tone arm skipping near end of travel on last track

Very odd. Is the turntable perfectly level? With the cuing up, does the tone arm slide freely all the way to the runout? Looking at the cartridge from directly in front of it, is the cantilever straight and not at all bent? If all OK, do you have a stylus force gauge to check the tracking...
  10. Riddley

What The Heck Is 'Three Martini Sound'?

Now that's a stack o' Marantz! :beerchug:
  11. Riddley

Advice for building a system around a 2230

Just to chime in, I connected my 2230 to a pair of B&W CM-5s and they sound fantastic. Very compact speakers. I am amazed at how easily the Marantz drives them.
  12. Riddley

How to remove stripped screw on Marantz 2270?

Not sure how fat the screws are. If you can drill a 5/64ths hole in the remains of the screw you can use a small hammer to tap in a screw extractor until it bites. The end can be gripped with pliers to carefully unscrew.
  13. Riddley

Vintage Marantz Buying Guide

A good article and a pleasant read. I wish he'd mentioned how these units consistently deliver higher power than their model rating. And this might be a bit of puffery: "buy one fully restored and ready for another half-century of trouble-free service." Do any of you rebuilders offer a 50 year...
  14. Riddley

Marantz dial color?

My guess has always been, the velum turns yellow from the heat of the dial lamps. Blue + yellow = blue-green.
  15. Riddley

Refurbishing a 2325?

People do drop names here and there. I think you're supposed to buy access to the AK flea market for $25 per year to unlock the 'goods and services'. Well worth it. *Edit* - But I see you are a subscriber already. You should have access.
  16. Riddley

Technics still the best?

You are probably thinking of the venerable SL 1200 direct drive. Rock solid steel construction, super easy tonearm height adjustment ( = optimize Vertical Tracking Angle). This works hand in hand with the removable head shell, as you can have another cartridge (mono, or your big bucks...
  17. Riddley

Ooops....I might have goofed!

Hold him down, while I scratch his records …
  18. Riddley

Connecting a Budgie to Marantz 4140 quad-need help!

With a phono stage you have a regular line signal, so use Aux, or one of the Tape Ins, and you should be fine. (I'm not a quad guy, so maybe the tape stuff is different. Aux in should be golden...)
  19. Riddley

Marantz 2230 panel lights flickering at power up

OK my fat fingers flew, and I re-lamped the thing. I eventually wiggled the light bar enough until I got it pointed upward, which was kind of a watershed moment :) Then I could compress the clamps a bit for a tighter grip. (Boy are they soft.) It still flickered so I tapped gently at the daisy...
  20. Riddley

Of course -- could be one of the other bulbs, not the meter bulb. I have enough bulbs to go around. Looks like I could swap them out without disturbing the cat's cradle. I know from working on the car that I will start dropping parts into the innards by the second lamp. If I invested in one of...
  21. Riddley

Hi. I have very modest gifts in the repair department, although I can solder pretty well. My 2230 dial lamps and meter lamp started flickering for a few minutes after each power up. The unit functions normally, otherwise. Then, the meter light started going off for a few minutes at a time. I...
  22. Riddley

Marantz 2270 Engraved Survey

1124 belongs to me. :beerchug: I've landed on "embossed" for the proper adjective (OED: Carve, mould, or stamp (a design) on a surface or object.) Engraved connotes scratching into the surface with a stylus of some kind, to me.
  23. Riddley

Kenwood KR9600 power switch

Hello. My son's KR9600 has a failed power switch and he's relegated to turning it on and off at the wall plug. Otherwise it's a fine rig and has many more years left in it. These seem to be as rare as bigfoot sightings. 9600 parts appear all the time on eBay but the sellers I've questioned...
  24. Riddley

Vintage Marantz for Phono

>>I would prefer Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" any time on CD and very rarely on the record. I mean, should not it be the other way around? Yes, I would think. That record has been issued 100 times, (the vast majority cut with the master tape running too fast.) >>Mine is Thorens TD 320 MK II...
  25. Riddley

Vintage Marantz for Phono

What turntable and cartridge do you have? A $50 - $100 cartridge will sound like a cheeseball even through a $2500 Parasound phono stage. Phono stages provide massive benefits in resolving sound. They can only operate on what your cartridge picks up and sends. But like cars, there's no limit to...
Back
Top Bottom