Search results

1. antennaguru

Quick Review: Denon DN-300CR CD Recorder

The new Denon is working fine, after figuring out a bunch of settings. I would say that its A>D has a little more detail and transparency than my previous Philips which was slightly more smoothly musical sounding.
  2. antennaguru

Hi, are you the "a.wayne" that used to post on vinylengine and was like minded to my posts?

Hi, are you the "a.wayne" that used to post on vinylengine and was like minded to my posts?
  3. antennaguru

Quick Review: Denon DN-300CR CD Recorder

How is your Denon DN-300CR working out for you? I am considering buying one and I am most concerned about its A>D listenability because I sometimes record CDs from LPs (for our cars, and for inclusion into my Brennan B2 music server). My 20 year old Philips 765 CD Recorder uses those special...
  4. antennaguru

SRA Setting, Is it worth the bother

IMO 92 isn't perfect for every cartridge but it makes a reasonable starting point and then you listen, and fine tune with tonearm height until the stereo image locks in. I don't own any Fritz Geiger styli so have no experience with those. The other challenge is that we're not taking the effect...
  5. antennaguru

Favorite high compliance cartridges

IMO, the Revox with the linear tracking arm had a fatal flaw when it came to tracking warped records, and that is that it had such a short effective tonearm length that its SRA/VTA changed too dramatically as it negotiated the warp. That is IMO why the best linear tracking tonearms were...
  6. antennaguru

SRA Setting, Is it worth the bother

IME a Fosgometer is for Azimuth only (left to right when viewed from the front) and even still can result in a poor alignment of the stylus in the groove if the internal components of the cartridge are not well oriented. The Fosgometer or a simple oscilloscope only lets you see the electrical...
  7. antennaguru

You sure seem to be correct twiiii, as there seems to have been little consistency in manufacturer to manufacturer compliance specs and the real world compliance we see as users. Plus some manufacturers spec compliance at 10 Hz and some at 100 Hz, some spec static and some dynamic, and finally...
  8. antennaguru

Thanks Russooll for that correction. Now I need to understand why I liked my Type III better than my Type IV.
  9. antennaguru

Thanks to NoTransistors I now have a Micro Acoustics Stratus 2!:) Other high compliance cartridges I use are Shure V15 Type III with Jico styli (have several of these), Grace F8E, and Ortofon M20E Super with an LP Gear Fine Line replacement stylus. I think the Ortofon is the highest...
  10. antennaguru

Hi, are you the "a.wayne" from vinylengine?

Hi, are you the "a.wayne" from vinylengine?
  11. antennaguru

IMF owners thread!

Ah wait, I've developed measurement standards before. So maybe they apply a factor of 5 to bring out greater differences between the foam products, to avoid confusion and make selection of the correct foam porosity/density easier. 4% X 5 = "20" high porosity low density foam suitable for speaker...
  12. antennaguru

IMF owners thread!

OK, that's not what the 20 number reflects. I took two calibrated measuring cups and put 8 ounces of water (1 cup) into one measuring cup, and put a sample of the foam over the second measuring cup resting it on the rim of the receiving measuring cup. I then poured the 8 ounces of water through...
  13. antennaguru

IMF owners thread!

Yeah, mine came with the old decaying visible foam as well, and examining it with a bright light (since it was too funky to compress or apply pressure to it without damaging it further), its porosity/density visually looked like the filter foam I used - looking at the air gap size relative to...
  14. antennaguru

IMF owners thread!

How is that "20" calculated? Does Joyce Foams explain this someplace? I used to build a lot of speakers, and I bought many foam grilles sold as speaker grilles to mount on them. That sort of foam was a very open, very porous foam. It was about the same porosity as the fish tank filter foam I...
  15. antennaguru

IMF owners thread!

I used this foam: https://www.ebay.com/itm/50-12-2cm-Black-Biochemical-Cotton-Filter-Foam-Sponge-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Pond-GX/222992800203?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 There are other sizes available with similar descriptions but that listing worked fine for my CM2...
  16. antennaguru

IMF owners thread!

I have a friend that's off skiing at Perisher (NSW), while in the US it's as hot and humid as it gets here on the other side of the world...
  17. antennaguru

IMF owners thread!

Tung Oil finish is a broad category of oil finish that is hand padded onto the wood with the grain. It goes on like a simple teak oil for furniture that restores color, but the difference is that Tung Oil hardens fully after it soaks into the grain. It is a relatively green product as far as...
  18. antennaguru

IMF owners thread!

The April 2018 issue of Stereophile has a review of an almost exactly the same size cabinet "2 way 8 speaker" called the Harbeth 30.2 - 40th Anniversary. The Harbeth 30.2 current MSRP is $6500. Some differences between the two 2 way 8 speakers are that the Harbeth is not phase coherent, and that...
  19. antennaguru

IMF owners thread!

Thanks for the stoke! I am based in New England (Northeast US). As to the finish, I received these a little roughed up and very dry in patches, with white paint scuffs from possibly bumping white painted walls, general light stains, and small scratches, etc. The first step was to deep clean...
  20. antennaguru

IMF owners thread!

WRT the use of Formica and other rigid laminate "veneers", Formica is a very good stiff cabinet finish which is extraordinarily robust from a wear and tear perspective, and it also stiffens a panel made of a softer core material like fiber-board or particle-board when it is applied as an outer...
  21. antennaguru

IMF owners thread!

Hello IMF fans! I just restored these CM2 (Compact Monitor 2) loudspeakers: IMF CM2 by antennaguru uda, on Flickr I refinished the cabinets to overcome some wear and tear, while trying very hard to keep them as close to original as possible. I bought a replacement capacitor set from Falcon in...
Back
Top Bottom