Search results

1. kray

Slow Jazz Trombone albums?

Any recommendations for slow/torch jazz albums with trombone? I recently stumbled upon the album Altas Horas by Shawn & The Wolf and would love to find more like it.
  2. kray

Is McIntosh for me?

I've been intrigued with MC for a long time but never owned any gear. I'm a SET tube guy that uses 95db Omega Alnico single driver speakers. Was toying with idea of grabbing a budget/value MC Integrated or amp (solid state) to use for the times I don't want to burn thru my tubes or it's too...
  3. kray

Southwest Florida by way of Sarasota?

Any folks like to meet up in the greater Sarasota area? Up to tampa, down to Naples?
  4. kray

New Zu Union 6 Speakers anyone?

Zu just released some new speakers.. https://www.zuaudio.com/loudspeakers/union-6 Looks like they are replacing the Omen, Dirty Weekend, etc. Anyone gonna try these out? 60-day trial with return shipping paid. I love my current speakers but could be worth an audition. I always wanted a...
  5. kray

My new "budget" turntable setup

I've never had a overly expensive vinyl setup. but this is the best I've heard/had. My recently built system is VPI Traveler AT750SH Darlington Labs MM6 Sounds great already and still need to break in the cart and mm6. I only wish I had a tiny bit more gain. I'm using a 64step Khozmo passive...
  6. kray

Two Channel L/R vs Three L/C/R

looking for some feedback... I honestly don't care too much about HT, all my money is in my two channel stereo setup... but I have a nice new 77" Sony A80J OLED and thought I could add some Klipsch 6000F or 8000F. If this is strictly tv/movies do I NEED a center channel? Also what's a nice...
  7. kray

If you see me on the road say hi :)

Decided to get a custom plate. Hoping someone out in the wild gets it and starts a conversation. Thought it would be fun. And easy to remember every time I have to fill out a form etc
  8. kray

Pre WWII Tube makers...

In regards to old pre WWII tubes like 26, 45, 46, etc. You had ST and Globe/Balloon shapes. Where there any manufacturers that stood out as better back then? I see lots of RCA/Cunningham, Tung Sol, Raytheon, Philco, Sylvania, Acrturus. Wondering if like some of the other famous tubes, if one...
  9. kray

"Matched tubes" percentage of new....

Both were tested on our Hickok 539C tester with results of 96% and 113% of the expected new value. Based on statement above. This is for a pair of 26 based tubes... do you need the %'s to be close to keep the performance even/matched, or does it matter? like as long as they are testing strong...
  10. kray

Oldest AK members (as in yrs on AK) that are still active?

Is there a way to see who the oldest AK members (as in time since joined) are that are still active (i.e. posted in last 90 days or something) Would be interesting/fun to see a list or something.
  11. kray

Bent Whizzer on cone affect sound?

Does a whizzer with slight bends on edges affect sound? I gently massaged them to straighten it better but curious if these speakers are screwed.
  12. kray

Love this Porsche commercial

Realize it's a little old (jan 2020) Kinda focusing on the Taycan but really enjoy this one.... Love the Taycan too. Never really cared for the Panamera but they designed the look of the Taycan much better in my opinion.
  13. kray

Sonic Frontiers SFT-1 still good?

Haven't seen a ton of talk on this CD transport in recent 10yrs etc. but assuming it has been fully refurbed, upgraded clock module, would this transport still compete well against todays transports?
  14. kray

Solder these banana plugs?

I’m a newb soldering wise but was curious if it’s possible to solder these screw based banana plugs with the wire instead of just screwing them on? Drop some solder in the holes?
  15. kray

Oliver Sayes 42 SE tube amp

I’ve been on a low power SET amp kick lately and this 42 blows me away. I also have Oliver’s 45 based Yamamoto clone. Oliver Sayes built it. Based on the Sun Audio SV-6V6 but customized a bit. ~4wpc. This amp is DEAD quiet. Probably the quietest SET amp I've owned. On the search for some 42...
  16. kray

Matched pair tubes but plates different?

I have a “matched” pair of 45 tubes from Brent Jessee. They both say Raytheon but you can see the construction is not identical. can this still be a matched pair? reason I found this was one filament was glowing hotter than the other tube.
  17. kray

Measuring and testing hum issues

Have a couple questions hoping I can get more clarity on. I have a 45 based single ended amp and the transformer has a bit of mechanical buzz but that doesn’t bother me too much. What is giving me nervosa is an amount of low level hum coming from speakers. I generally accept there will be some...
  18. kray

Calculating preamp gain based on tube?

Was wondering how to calculate preamp gain based on different tubes it can use. for example my TAD-150 is rated at 14db gain with 12AT7 tubes. But it can also use 12AX7 and 12AU7 knowing that 12au7 is lower than 12at7 what would be the output gain using a 12au7?
  19. kray

6L6 Single Ended amps?

Any suggestions for nice custom builds of single ended 6L6 amps? I’ve seen the Elekit 8200, but haven’t seen many others
  20. kray

Tube preamp recommendations

So I’m trying to decide on a good tube preamp to eventually marry to small watt single ended amps as I want to try different ones like the EL84 based DGSE1, or a 45/2A3 amp. Maybe even monoblocks. I’d like to keep the budget at or under $1k (new or used) I’ve read that 6SN7 based pre’s are...
  21. kray

Recommendations for basic tube tester

If I wanted a basic good tube tester for your garden variety tunes, EL34, 6550, 6L6, 12ax7, 12au7, octals, rectifiers etc. what would I be looking for?
  22. kray

My DAC journey...

Decided to document my experience with different dacs I’ve owned. I’ll go back to 2018 with the soekris 1321. It was a nice DAC and my first R2R. I was fairly satisfied with it and even installed customer filters since it also has a FPGA. I didn’t need the volume control as I only need a DAC to...
  23. kray

GE 6L6G Coke Bottle tubes?

Any info/sound character notes on these as NOS tubes? I see tons on the normal 6L6GC but not the G coke bottles. Currently running the new reissue Tung Sol 6L6G’s to drive 845’s. my amp can use 6n3c, 6L6, 5881, KT66, EL34 styles in that position and read 6L6’s work great driving 845’s so I...
  24. kray

Tube socket glue....

I had a 845 tube where the base seemed loose/wobbly and (the part where the glass meets the socket) so I took it out and twisted it a little to right but could see some of the “glue” around the edge loose. I tapped some of it out and gently tightened the socket on the glass by turning glass...
  25. kray

Schiit Eitr USB to SPDIF closeout $99

Schiit is closing out their super popular Eitr for $99, was previously $179 has Schiit’s very good Gen 5 usb board. So if you need a box to convert usb to digital coax super hard to beat this. I asked if they were coming out with a new version and this was their response: The Eitr is being...
Back
Top Bottom